Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cp_mombasa

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: cp_mombasa

Yeah definitely, it could work and be very interesting. don't let me stop you from trying it if you think it would be interesting in cp_mombasa, you can always revert if it doesn't work out.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

A few suggestions:

Would also be nice to have a third exit from the second to the last point (attacker's POV), like a really small but raised one, maybe exiting onto the lower shipping crates or even on the other side of the lower, right-hand exit. I'm thinking like the last point of granary has that little window exit to the left of the walkway.

Oh and one more thing, it'd be great to have a little cover on the centre point. It doesn't need to be much, just something to put your back against once in a while. Playing heavy up there is shit scary at the moment.

Does play well though, just needs a little fat trimming off in places and it'll be spot on.
    3 People have given a Cookie to Boylee: MacNetron.ps, Post Script.ps, SPHinx

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

excellent feedback!

Main thing I noticed adding to above was that we (the team pushed back all the time) were only able to defend the last point (ie, it is too hard to cap). It was also very difficult to take back the 2nd point, but not sure if that was just lacking skills of the team...

Billionaire Extraordinaire Two monkeys from a Tzu.'s Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I loved it the 2nd time around too.
    My idea would be to make some kind of battlement type structure leading from cp2 to the shipping containers of cp1 (visible in Boylees screenshot).
    Then classes other then soldier and demo can compete with the defenders for the height advantage and snipers can take shots at engineers setting up sentries.
    It also would give the defending team another way into cp2 where they have a bit of height advantage.
    The problem with taking it back now is that unless you wiped them all out in their last push chances are good everyone alive on the attacking team is concentrated in this small space and watching these 2 doors when you poke your head in, more often then not covered by a sentry.
    Since it is a bit cramped you only have a split second to realize whats going on inside once you are through the door before the fight is on. And because the distances involved are very short you have no breathing space at all until one side is dead.
    Cookie given from: SPHinx

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Attacking/pushing out of last was pretty hard and led to a little bit of a stalemate in last night's games. Both entrances into last were at a height disadvantage and pretty easily spammable. A third route would help quite a bit. Maybe bring the pipe down a little bit (it doesn't come into play at all just now) and have that be an extra route.

I agree with what Two monkeys said on the previous page about the rollouts. There's only one real viable route to get to middle if you don't want to get there a lot slower than the other team. I think the upper left door as you pass the second point could do with being more accessible. I'm pretty sure about 90% of people came out of the same door into middle, which makes it a bit easy to lock down.

Also, I'm not sure I liked the use of doors in every chokepoint, it kinda slows down the game and makes it easier to stalemate. It also makes spy work a bit harder.
    Backburner - putting the lame in flame since 2008

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Updated the OP now for alpha 2. Huzzah! I've tried to implement just about everything you all have suggested. Also added a new area between mid and point 2/4, switched to a mirrored layout, increased cap times slightly, and added some custom community stuff (Rexy's support pillars, a couple colored direction signs, Seba-079's pickup textures, and of course, the Blueprint poster!).
    Cookie given from: Boylee.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Excellent! I'm particularly keen to see how that new area affects the flow of the map.
    Just out of interest, why did you switch to bilateral symmetry instead of sticking with rotational symmetry?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Boylee View Post
    Just out of interest, why did you switch to bilateral symmetry instead of sticking with rotational symmetry?
    In part, I'm loosely following the structure of some old photos of Port Mombasa from the 1950s-1960s.

Eventually, I will have water running along one side, and it seemed to make more sense (particularly for the art pass) to have things like the silos away from the shore and the warehouses near the shore.

Not too much riding on it, really. If it fails, I will go back to rotational in a3.
    Last edited by Boylee; 18-09-2010 at 19:43.
    2 People have given a Cookie to SPHinx: Boylee.ps

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

You surely made it much harder to just steamroll to 2nd point, however way between 3 and 2 now seems to be a bit too long... Maybe it's because you need (most often) to climb up and go down the stairs - I don't know, maybe flattening it a bit vertically would be a bit more comfortable for players. Mid area is very good, 2nd too (at least for me) - although some rooms look quite huge and empty. Nevertheless I could easily move and sneak as a spy, so there are enough ways and ammo packs
    I think "mirroring" the map didn't affect the gameplay - but maybe it's because we only once got through middle point (just to get caught with our pants down and loose immediately )
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Now even more spooky!
    Spam Prince Vegeta
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I found that in the blue spawn, when you got 4 of the 5 points captured, you see a no entrance sign on the inside of the door. And the map felt a bit big, but that is probably just me, as i haven't played tf2 for a long time. Didn't really played much on it yet, felt very sick.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Updated to alpha 3. Shortened area between mid and 2/4 point. Took out some of the health pickups. Fixed a missing player clip on the center rig. Few other minor additions.
    Last edited by Boylee; 18-09-2010 at 19:43.
    3 People have given a Cookie to SPHinx: AngryPotato, Boylee.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

sshhh.... could you please change the download link to a3, so I can upload it?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by MacNetron View Post
    sshhh.... could you please change the download link to a3, so I can upload it?
    Woops. Thought I had done that earlier. Thanks for making sure.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

np, cp_mombasa_a3 uploaded to the MapLab

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

GAHHHHHHH! Someone saw it before i deleted it.
    Seriously it stared me right in the face after i posted it.
    Edit:
    I made a Port Mombasa poster....again.

Fun facts: Port Mombasas public relations manager graduated from the SAxton Hale Mail Order Business School with a Ph.D. in smuggling.

Edit #2789: And now the old image shows up again, if only the whole thing wouldn't be symptomatic for the rest of my week.
    Last edited by Two monkeys from a Tzu.; 27-09-2010 at 16:58. Reason: Now with reduced typo count.
    2 People have given a Cookie to Two monkeys from a Tzu.: MacNetron.ps, SPHinx

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Two monkeys from a Tzu. View Post
    GAHHHHHHH! Someone saw it before i deleted it.
    Seriously it stared me right in the face after i posted it.
    Edit:
    I made a Port Mombasa poster....again.

Fun facts: Port Mombasas public relations manager graduated from the SAxton Hale Mail Order Business School with a Ph.D. in smuggling.

Edit #2789: And now the old image shows up again, if only the whole thing wouldn't be symptomatic for the rest of my week.
    Love it.

Must add to next version.

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

It looks great, might be very good for neutral areas - you might think about making also some only-blue and only-red one for team bases areas

(oh, I saw nothing, Monkeys! )
    Last edited by AngryPotato; 28-09-2010 at 00:08.
    Cookie given from: Two monkeys from a Tzu..ps
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Since the plan is to make Mombasa part of a set of African maps, I was thinking it might be neat to place it in the other maps. You know, advertising the mercenary work elsewhere on the continent.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPHinx View Post
    Since the plan is to make Mombasa part of a set of African maps, I was thinking it might be neat to place it in the other maps. You know, advertising the mercenary work elsewhere on the continent.
    If the 'next maps' are fixed, then I would put a poster on the last CP on the maps that lead to cp_mombasa.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPotato View Post
    It looks great, might be very good for neutral areas - you might think about making also some only-blue and only-red one for team bases areas

(oh, I saw nothing, Monkeys! )
    You're right. I think they look better with a reduced colour palette too.
    I just have to get it out of my head that people need blue water to understand what they're looking at.

2 People have given a Cookie to Two monkeys from a Tzu.: MacNetron.ps, SPHinx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast