Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TF2 World Domination!

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: TF2 World Domination!

I think keeping route changes out is a good idea, that way the maps can be used in pubs too. I think you can bias it enough with scoring and spawn time bonuses. Like Post said you don't want to bias it too much.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I agree. Route changes seem dangerous.

An alternative might be opposite slopes. For (semi)symmetrical maps, the owning team moves downhill, the attackers uphill. That way, the height differential stays (roughly) the same for each team, but it gives the owners higher defensive ground.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Has anyone else heard of the Bullet Crops Project? Looks like some quality art work. Who wants to help me craft a slick campaign to get them on the TF2 World project?

🍕Mr🍕Man🍕The🍕Pizza🍕Fan🍕 Post Script's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Can you be more specific in the help you would like? I'd have thought an email to the team expressing interest in working together would suffice, letting them know what would be involved and what they would get from it.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

This looks like a excellent idea, and i would play it. Also, i looked around the bullet crops project and have to say, their maps look pretty rad. Hope you can get this into a working server, would be great fun.
    2 People have given a Cookie to Algebraic: SPHinx

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Dropped Bullet Corps an e-mail. My guess is they're pretty busy with what they have going on, but in the future . . . who knows?

Also re-did the webpage for the project. Pretty bare bones for now. Any suggestions?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Website looks great, and the maps look like their making great progress! I will offer my assistance any way i can, but TBH i'm not that great at anything that could help...Maybe a tester?
    Cookie given from: SPHinx

Registered Member
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Hey SPHinx,
    Can I continue with the Arena_dover I was making, but represent the entirity of britain with it?
    I mean, I got quite far with that map, further than any map I had made before and it would be horrible to delete that much progress.

Scoot (now Boyd in steam )

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Scootisspah View Post
    Hey SPHinx,
    Can I continue with the Arena_dover I was making, but represent the entirity of britain with it?
    I mean, I got quite far with that map, further than any map I had made before and it would be horrible to delete that much progress.
    I say, absolutely, keep working on it. I don't think Arena mode will work for the metagame, but that need not to stop you from developing the map you want to make. If all goes well, you could try it as a KOTH without too much trouble.
    Cookie given from: Scootisspah

Registered Member
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by SPHinx View Post
    I say, absolutely, keep working on it. I don't think Arena mode will work for the metagame, but that need not to stop you from developing the map you want to make. If all goes well, you could try it as a KOTH without too much trouble.
    Oh, and do you still have my map from a while ago? I believe it was broken in some ways and I was wondering if maybe you had fixed it since then...

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Scootisspah View Post
    Oh, and do you still have my map from a while ago? I believe it was broken in some ways and I was wondering if maybe you had fixed it since then...
    Here is the latest I've got. Link Don't remember if there was a problem with it. Pretty sure there isn't. It's been sitting in my dropbox for a while.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I've had a couple other general thoughts on map ownership and design that I want to share. Curious to know how these sound to you guys. Also, so I don't forget them.

(1) Map detailing could be a compromise between the usual RED v BLU and Hydro's (almost) entirely neutral style. Something like a HOME v. AWAY. Taking AngryPotato's designs, for example, the away team could be RED's wooden, more make-shift architectural style; the home team is BLU's more opulent style. Clever use of gameplay props (like Hydro's colored direction signs) or func_brush entities (e.g., with company logos on them) could fill in the details so that each team's side is still visually recognizable. This makes room for some fun narrative elements, e.g., low end RED/BLU company fronts are featured when they're the AWAY team (and the architecture is cheaper) and high end fronts are featured when they're HOME.

This also helps to address the mapper's problem of making a meta-game exclusive map, since the away style defaults to what pugs think of as RED and the home style defaults to BLU. Except in A/D when it's reversed. So the meta-game exclusive version is just a fork of the normal map (e.g., with a "w" at the end of the iteration number) with re-textures and additional entity work.

(2) The owners of a symmetrical map could have exclusive access to a convenient resupply room. Or begin at a forward spawn. Or nothing. Are visual cues enough of a change to make the meta-game satisfying?

🍕Mr🍕Man🍕The🍕Pizza🍕Fan🍕 Post Script's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Love point 1. I think the world view is satisfying as it is...to know that your team owns a continent, but it would be very VERY cool to have actual elements change in the map depending on map control. I stand at the position that if it's not gameplay changing and it looks good, do iiiit The forward spawns could be gamebreaking but I suppose easy to implement/adapt for the meta-game or vanilla maps accordingly. One to put in at the end if needed I think!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Post, your post () touches on a point that I have been debating. Should the project include appropriate Valve maps (albeit with slight entity modifications as needs be)? So, for example, should cp_egypt be included in the African rotation? It fits nicely up there in the corner (see map image) and lightens the work load. Originally, I had thought all customs would be preferable. I am starting to not care so much.

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by SPHinx View Post
    Post, your post () touches on a point that I have been debating. Should the project include appropriate Valve maps (albeit with slight entity modifications as needs be)? So, for example, should cp_egypt be included in the African rotation? It fits nicely up there in the corner (see map image) and lightens the work load. Originally, I had thought all customs would be preferable. I am starting to not care so much.
    Personally, if there is a valve map fit, go with it, less there is a better custom fit. Nothing wrong with the valve maps, and it is alot easier
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

For a mammoth project like this, if something like egypt is offered on a plate, take it.

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Instead of just taking it, ask the author first!
    Who knows, he might end up helping out on new maps
    3 People have given a Cookie to Hawk: AngryPotato, Post Script.ps, SPHinx
    Last.Played

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Instead of just taking it, ask the author first!
    Who knows, he might end up helping out on new maps
    This is a good point. I will drop Mr. Cutino a line. Valve now technically owns the map though, don't they?

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

You could ask them too I guess, makes them aware of the project.
    I don't think they would mind using the map for a project like this.
    Last.Played

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I know there are already a ton of valve map mods out there, so at least initially, I can't see it being a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12