Thread: BF BC2 server updated to RC7

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

BF BC2 server updated to RC7

Hi there,

At around 15:30 (GMT) today, we will be rolling out the latest server update (R7) from DICE. This is an automated process and will take approximately 1 hour to complete.

Update R7 Changelist:

- Several common crash fixes. Especially those which have monitoring scripts that rely on the Remote Admin interface should see stability improvements.

- PunkBuster can send commands to Remote Admin interface (so 'pb_sv_task 0 -1 <stuff to send to admin interface>' works)

- Veteran-rank handling corrected (it was broken in R6 and possibly earlier)

- Switched back to Release version of the low-level networking library; less debug output but higher performance

- Increased the initial server reconnection interval to 30+rand(30) seconds

- PB GUID generation is now based on EA account IDs (it used to be based on persona names)

Kind regards
    the server is now much more stable - and punkbuster errors should considerably reduce. Let us know your experience.
    5 People have given a Cookie to Logan: Boylee.ps, Caliostro, Jakob_Pavlov.ps, Monty, Post Script.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: BF BC2 server updated to RC7

Apologies Colt, I know the below says pretty much the same thing, but just to add a few more details to this (bold emphasis is my own):
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53...-Files-Updated
    "We have just distributed a new server version named R7 to the server hosts. Early signs from the hosts are good with 20% less load on the server CPU, improved hit detection, Veteran rank handling is fixed so you should get your M1 Garand back now plus some other fixes to better help the server hosting companies and better management of Punkbuster IDs."

All dedicated servers are currently patching to the new server build just released by DICE, R7, which has quite a few fixes:

Several common crash fixes. Especially those which have monitoring scripts that rely on the Remote Admin interface should see stability improvements.
    PunkBuster can send commands to Remote Admin interface (so ‘pb_sv_task 0 -1 ’ works)
    Veteran-rank handling corrected (it was broken in R6 and possibly earlier)
    Switched back to Release version of the low-level networking library; less debug output but higher performance
    Increased the initial server reconnection interval to 30+rand(30) seconds
    PB GUID generation is now based on EA account IDs (it used to be based on persona names)
    Added new command line options which allow providers to easily maintain server GUID's
    "Are you frickin' kidding me? Another tie-in. My apartment's still filled up with crap from all the last ones."

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Guess we'll find out later today if hit reg is better or not.

So far it's hard to tell if it IS better or not, as most servers don't say whether they're R7 or R6, which makes it hard to tell whether you're suffering from better hit reg or placebo effect.

"That was not medicine"
    BF:BC2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Caliostro View Post
    Guess we'll find out later today if hit reg is better or not.

So far it's hard to tell if it IS better or not, as most servers don't say whether they're R7 or R6, which makes it hard to tell whether you're suffering from better hit reg or placebo effect.
    I thought it felt pretty smooth tonight.

🍕Mr🍕Man🍕The🍕Pizza🍕Fan🍕 Post Script's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Don't know what time it was but sometime tonight the 4 of us on vent got CTDs and when we joined the teams were heavily stacked. I'm assuming the whole team suffered the same fate. Not sure though. Pav you were on the other team, how many people disconnected? Map was Val Pareso on conquest, first round.

"That was not medicine"
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Post Script View Post
    Don't know what time it was but sometime tonight the 4 of us on vent got CTDs and when we joined the teams were heavily stacked. I'm assuming the whole team suffered the same fate. Not sure though. Pav you were on the other team, how many people disconnected? Map was Val Pareso on conquest, first round.
    I think I remember that.....It wasn't the whole team.....I reckon about five or six disconnects......it did seem weird at the time!

I had a couple of disconnections from the server in three hours of gaming.....about par for the course at the moment.

To be honest I'd have two fixes that I'd slip DICE some money to concentrate on.......No.1 is Auto-Balance.....it's really messing up the vibe on pub servers....I had to suicide and switch teams about six times last night! No.2 is getting my joystick working......I want to at least try to fly the fat choppers!
    Last edited by Jakob_Pavlov; 21-03-2010 at 09:20.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob_Pavlov View Post
    I thought it felt pretty smooth tonight.
    The shooting did, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Post Script View Post
    It was Laguna Presa. Val Paraiso is the rush map with the lighthouse every other sniper camps and the Blackhawks for offense. It happened on the second round. Our team had just won as RUS. Teams were automatically switched. Suddenly we realize, there's no resistance.... At which point we noticed it was like... 12 vs 4 or something. Either most of the team CTDed, disc'ed, or stacked.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

CTD = Comparative Toxicogenomics Database or Crash to Desktop

I played for about 40 minutes last night and had 2 disconnects myself in that time, but they were client side and just dumped me back to the menu, I was still logged into EA though.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

So I guess the game/servers still aren't totally stable yet? Holding off on this until all the disconnects, crashes etc get sorted

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by jimbomcb View Post
    So I guess the game/servers still aren't totally stable yet? Holding off on this until all the disconnects, crashes etc get sorted
    You should get it anyways. Ask anyone here, it is THAT good.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimbomcb View Post
    Buy It Buy It - Jim - honestly bud, not just cos I miss you around, but because it's seriously fun....admittedly annoying with bugs but they don't happen ALL the time

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

well, that and i'm not getting my first paycheck until the end of the month! on my to-buy list at least

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

update

From 07:00 (GMT) this morning, we will be rolling out DICE's latest R8 server update. This will take approximately 1 hour to complete and all servers should be updated by 08:00.

R8 Change list:

- Workaround for the "player manages to join server twice" crash. Now the server detects this and refuses the player entry. Client might hang but it will not take down the server as well.

- Workaround for the "cannot join player to any team" crash. Teams might get uneven, most notably SQDM sessions with 5v3 players, but the server should no longer crash.

- Game sends PB output to pbucon (so pb webtool can be used to run PB commands and see their results)
    3 People have given a Cookie to Logan: Boylee.ps, Caliostro, Jakob_Pavlov.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Could we like, instead have a sticky for server updates?

Maybe admins only, so you can post update logs whenever you update the server?

Might be easier.

"That was not medicine"
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Caliostro View Post
    Could we like, instead have a sticky for server updates?

Maybe admins only, so you can post update logs whenever you update the server?

Might be easier.
    Fair point mate, I've added the info to the Server Sticky we already have: http://playstuff.net/showthread.php/...eamplay-Server
    2 People have given a Cookie to Jakob_Pavlov: Boylee.ps, Caliostro

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

R9 Server update:
    http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/batt...-are-live.aspx
    Today we have sent out BFBC2 PC server update known as "R9" to all our server providers. They will be bringing up servers during the day and into the weekend. Stability of the servers is of course our main focus and we have some server crash fixes in place as well as the following changes:

• admin.say command implemented
    - the output currently looks a bit funky on the game client, like so: Player: [Server]: <text>
    but with the next game client it will look like: Server: <text>
    • admin.yell to squad has changed (you need to specify both team and squad)
    • squad numbering has changed – the “no squad” squad has ID 0, and real squads are 1 and up.
    • Autobalance improved, it shuffles people both during and between rounds now, and does a better job
    - Currently there is no way to turn it off
    • mapList* commands reworked
    • banList* commands reworked
    • listPlayers command added
    • admin.listPlayers command reworked (GUID, kills, deaths, ping and score added)
    • Players have non-PB GUIDs now (these are distinct from PB GUIDs)
    • onChat event reworked
    - now it specifies target player subset as well
    - shows text before profanity filtering
    - client-originated chat messages starting with “/” make it to the server, and broadcast via onChat, but are not broadcast to other game clients
    - use “/!<command>” if you want to be able to send commands to your homemade rcon tools without showing the commands to other players
    • player.onAuthenticated added (it’s triggered when a player receives GUID)
    • player.onSquadChange, player.onTeamChange implemented
    • Couple of crash fixes
    • Support for server-side “region” setting (not yet used by the game client)
    • Ranked ON forces game-password OFF
    • Ranked and PunkBuster settings can only be changed during server startup
    • A server is marked as "hardcore" either when Friendly Fire is enabled, or when all the typical hardcore settings (hardcore killcam minimap etc) have been flipped
    • exposed number of rounds per maps in maplist.txt, and via the remote admin commands
    "Are you frickin' kidding me? Another tie-in. My apartment's still filled up with crap from all the last ones."

"That was not medicine"
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Cheers mate,

Server updated and restarted.

(I am praying that the auto-balance is hella-improved......)