Thread: Laptops!

Panics when ubered & Excessively Generous Tstrike's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Laptops!

im looking a for a nice laptop to bring to work.

Needing help since i prefer to build stuff myself and it is very akward if you build a lappy.
    so any recommendations ?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: Laptops!

The last five laptops I've bought have been through http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ and have all been Acers.
    No issues at all and a friendly company to deal with. Just don't ever go for the latest model or you lose over 200 before you walk out of the shop.
    Better to get the previous model but the top of the range version for the same price as the middle of the range version of the current model.
    Take note of what you need it for - will it be moved around a lot? If so pay close attention to weight.
    Will it be mostly used in one place - if so battery life is not as much of a consideration as you can have it plugged in for the majority of the time but if you'll be constantly on the move then you'll want longer battery life.
    Hard drives and RAM are easy to upgrade on a laptop - nothing else is so don't get sidetracked by going for that extra GB of RAM or larger hard drive - pick a faster cpu over either of those since you'll never upgrade the cpu.
    Screen size - will you be attaching an external monitor at home/work - if so you can probably get away with a more powerful machine but a smaller screen and have a larger attached screen. If you need it to be portable then smaller screen - if you need it for gfx/gaming/large spreadsheets then go for a larger screen but you sacrifice portability.

Do you need to game on it - if so then you'll want decent onboard gfx - very few cheap laptops have gfx any where near good enough for gaming - you definitely pay a premium for a decent mobile gfx card but again, spend the money now if you need it - it's not an upgrade you'll ever do yourself on a laptop.

Do check if you are allowed to have it in work - most large companies will not allow you to have it in the office even if you aren't connecting to their network.

If you want to run Linux then do a quick google for the machine you are looking at to double check if there are any known issues (I've had a few minor issues with Dells and Ubuntu but all have been fixable)

If money is no object then get a Mac. (hate myself for typing that)
    2 People have given a Cookie to grom: Dr.Strangelove.ps, Logan.ps
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

get a mac. run windows, osx and linux all on the same box. macbookpro for game use. tough old lappy's that last and last. Mine is 5 years old. Plays CSS and TF2 fine.
    Cookie given from: Seedy_George.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grom View Post
    Do check if you are allowed to have it in work - most large companies will not allow you to have it in the office even if you aren't connecting to their network.

defently wont be a probelm im paid to wait for something to break what i do in the mean time is up to me like sleep watch tv etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by colt
    get a mac. run windows, osx and linux all on the same box. macbookpro for game use. tough old lappy's that last and last. Mine is 5 years old. Plays CSS and TF2 fine.
    Hmm guess ill look at a mac

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Macs can be pricey but my Macbook Pro has lasted me three years and still going strong. Aiming to upgrade the operating system to the new OSX version soon, I'm expecting it'll be running like a dream once I clean some of the files up.

Boot camp is Win, Macbook Pros are powerful bits of kit and mine has seen me through basically all my gaming over the last few years.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I can tell you - I've never used a Mac properly... but my next lappy will definitely be a MacbookPro.

I might save a couple of extra months for it, and it might be somewhat more expensive... but in my opinion very few things disappoint.

I bought an amazing PC laptop a year ago... top specs and everything... but unfortunately the screen clarity/brightness/resolution - cannot compare to a Mac.

However one thing I am enjoying at the moment is Windows 7 - knock on wood - hasn't let me down yet.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

i'm with Grom ! only because he is a manc in exile

actually, its for his solid contribution to consumer advice
    /*/
    /*/*/*/You sir, are a swaggering addle-pated jackanapes!
    /*/

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Here is tweakers.net best buy guide dec on notebooks. Useless for you because it is in Dutch, but I like giving you the option to try to read it

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by MacNetron View Post
    Here is tweakers.net best buy guide dec on notebooks. Useless for you because it is in Dutch, but I like giving you the option to try to read it
    Google translate FTW
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grom View Post
    Google translate FTW
    In that case, have a look at page 7

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

If you want a gaming laptop that you can configure yourself, then take a look at
    Clevo (ftw).
    Quote Originally Posted by forum.notebookreview.com
    They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.
    They also built the worlds first RTM quad-core notebook, and (I think) the worlds first i7 lappy too.

They make some very nice lappies in varying sizes and specs. You've probably never heard of them before because their laptops aren't sold under the Clevo brand but rather spec'd and rebranded by boutique resellers (most of which allow you to choose your exact spec). The only major downside is that they're quite pricey, but build quality is superb.
    Known Clevo resellers in the UK include:

There's probably others but I'm not aware of them.

I have a Sager 5796 (rebranded Clevo M570TU) and it plays Crysis on High at a decent resolution and framerate. Only problem is it weighs the same as a small carthorse and it eats batteries like the Heavy eats sandviches ^__^

Hope this helps, just thought I'd chip in with an alternate opinion
    Last edited by Boylee; 03-12-2009 at 05:18.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

thanks for the help !

thinking mac book or this http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/l.../x90gtx17.html

thinking this will replace my desktop as well now.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

very nice options good luck oh - and don't buy your ram from apple if you go for the macbbokpro - crucial is half the price or less

now you have it down to a choice of 2 - i'd strongly suggest seeing them in the 'flesh'.

however much of a desktop replacement you want, you also want a portable Some laptops make too many compromises on size and weight to make them sensible purchases for all but the rarely mobile.

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Yeah that Novatech one is a Clevo M980NU, it is pretty darn heavy (5.4kg) but it's an absolute beast of a machine, it'll will beat the majority of desktops out of the water.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Hi! Before suggesting anything I think it would be better to know more about what the intended use for this laptop will be. Depending on the priorities there are always tradeoffs to be made. What is more important? CPU power, GPU power, storage (this one has less impact I guess), screen size, screen quality, weight, battery life, connectivity...?

From what I see in the thread, most suggestions go around "desktop replacement" laptops. These tend to be heavy and battery intensive, and a pain to carry around. Macbook Pro's are a nice compromise between power and portability, with a price tag to match.

Personally I prefer to separate concerns. I have had a 14" thinkpad for the last 2 years and am happy with it, it's not too heavy and has enough power for my work. However, the dedicated GPU (nvidia quadro 140M) is nothing special and not too fit for games. The battery life is not spectacular either. If I had to buy a laptop now, I guess I'd go for something even lighter, with integrated graphics, less weight and better battery life, like a thinkpad t400s or x200s. For everyday work and gaming I prefer to have a powerful desktop with a couple quality monitors.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

It was for when I decide Im bored of watching tv at work and felt like playing a game . I currently have alienware mx15 on preorder from overclockers.co.uk but looks like they haverun out because it was cheaper then Dell was
    doing them! The weight doesn't bother me that much! As I carry round a 15kg bag at work any way it all about getting the right bag I have one which pretty much even the weight between both shoulders which is nice and easy on my back.
    Last edited by Tstrike; 04-01-2010 at 23:10. Reason: Will edit this later typing in phone make it's hard to see layout