Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Player agency at it's finest - Burning Wheel (Tabletop RPG, players wanted!)

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Player agency at it's finest - Burning Wheel (Tabletop RPG, players wanted!)

Howdy, folks.

I'm an RPG addict. Y'all already know this. And I have been beyond excited to pitch this to you fine folks. I am...

LOOKING FOR 4 PLAYERS TO JOIN ME IN PLAYING BURNING WHEEL ON A REGULAR BASIS.

It's an award-winning tabletop RPG where there's a GM and there are players and it's got the diceys and the rolls. Nothing new there, but the way this game works is unlike any other RPG system out there and what makes it extremely compelling for me to run it.

First and foremost: it's a game for the lovers of narrative gaming who don't want to get too bogged down by mechanics, even though there are plenty rules to support a cool narrative experience.

Character motivation is key, and role-playing your character getting in trouble because of his or her motivations and quirks is what nets you big useful bonus points and experience.

Here's a quote from the game's designer, Luke Crane.

"Have you ever wanted to fight hard to do the right thing and only be executed in the end while probably making things worse for everyone you care about? It's like that."

On a more serious note: Burning Wheel is a game all about fighting for what you believe. You fight with words, steel and magic. All the other rules in the game are to enable and support those conflicts. It's a game all about personal crisis, and how your characters respond to their very beliefs being questioned.

Some examples are:
    • A faithful priest finding out his prayers have been answered by a different god than his own all along. My faith has been wavering. I must never allow the bishop to find out my secret.
    • An old pirate captain who has made a vow to raise his brother's son as his own but that yearns to get his crew back together. I will do what I can to give the kid a full life on the high seas. I will protect him with my life.
    • A crippled witch, whispering poisoned words into the ears of nobility for her own gains. The duke is weak and spineless, and must be disposed. I will convince his wife to see things my way.
    • A tavern owner trying to pay his debts and put food on the table in a part of town known for it's gang violence. My family depends on me. I will take whatever opportunity presents itself to provide for them.
    • A young army deserter turned treasure hunter, trying his best to avoid the law while earning big bucks. I've heard tale of an old tomb in the foothills full of relics. I'll fight tooth and nail to get my share of the loot, others be damned.

It's a game where you write that awesome plot idea that you have for your character down on your sheet, and the GM is forced to make it a part of the story in a seemless and exciting way.

The game is engaging, offering the players unique agency in the world. It's a story about them: how they fight for what they believe in. Even if they are destitute wastrels, they are the focus of the story.

---

SO! I'm looking for 4 players willing to join me as players in a setting I had in mind! The setting idea I had was: A colony outpost/city in a fantasy 'New World'-esque setting. Aztec-y, conquistadors-y, deep jungles full of secretive tribes and dangerous critters. The who, what and why's will all be answered as we build our world and characters together!

World and character building will all be done as a completely cooperative effort. No experience needed at all, so don't worry, I'll guide you through.

Much like previous RPG's I've run for Playstuffers, I intend to have a session every other week on a to-be-determined day.

So far players who have shown interest are:
    1. Post Script
    2. Seric
    3. Logan
    4. Ehdoo

Want to join? Let me know!
    Last edited by Launch; 18-09-2018 at 12:56.
    2 People have given a Cookie to Launch: MacNetron.ps, Post Script.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: Player agency at it's finest - Burning Wheel (Tabletop RPG, players wanted!)

Sign me up

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: Player agency at it's finest - Burning Wheel (Tabletop RPG, players wanted!)

*expression of interest* It's early in the morning but this does seem like it'd be fun. (It's been 25 years since i played a propper long term rpg so i'm not entirely sure it's my thing). If there's too many peeps interested, I'd also enjoy spectating instead...or maybe playing some npc's (can a player play a non player character? hmmm, seems an unlikely concept.)
    3 People have given a Cookie to Logan: Launch, Post Script.ps, Seric.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

You're more than welcome to join and give it a fair shot! If it doesn't turn out to be your thing, we can always adjust, no big deal. It's a very intuitive game that, to be honest, kinda runs better if you don't have the standard RPG mindset in recent memory. You say what you want to achieve and how, roll a relevant skill, and reap the rewards of either failure or succes. Wanna impress the king? Sure! How do you do that? Wanna challenge his best knight to a duel? Wanna sing him a song? Wanna blackmail him? It's all fair game!

This game does lend itself fairly well to people occasionally joining. If you happen to miss like two sessions, next time we see you, I'll ask: "What's your character been up to?" And depending on your answer, you'll be granted experience in certain skills.

"Oh I've been working on my cabin out in the woods."

"Cool, sounds like you've been training your Tree-Cutting skill and your Carpentry. Jot down you've been training those."

Playing NPCs would be rather difficult, but like I said, you're more than welcome to join us!
    Cookie given from: Logan.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Oh, and another fun note: It doesn't have to be cooperative at all. Since everybody has their own schemes and plans, they can (and if I have any say in it, will) conflict and cause you guys to have heated debates about who is right and wrong. All while reaping experience for roleplaying your character sticking to their guns.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    *expression of interest*
    Do eet!

Would be great fun to have you along for the ride.
    3 People have given a Cookie to Seric: Launch, Logan.ps, Post Script.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Sounds interesting and I usually have 3-4 weekday evenings free on any given week so I should probs be fine for sessions. You can count me as interested.
    2 People have given a Cookie to ehdoo: Launch, Post Script.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Wow, you guys are an eager bunch of nerds, innit? Glad to hear there is interest!

And Logan, you absolutely should join us. Would be a blast to have you there with us, bud.
    2 People have given a Cookie to Launch: Logan.ps, Post Script.ps

🍕Mr🍕Man🍕The🍕Pizza🍕Fan🍕 Post Script's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Already got my idea for a character!

Just be aware that I sometimes work nights so the only nights safe from that fact are Friday (which I know Seric can't do) and Sunday. If this is an issue I can of course offer my slot (ooo-err) to someone else who can make the dates.
    2 People have given a Cookie to Post Script: Launch, Logan.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Excellent! Here's the thing though: Ideas for characters start with concepts that aren't rigid. Come into it with an idea, one that's malleable, in order to get maximum enjoyment out of the process of cooperative creation.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Cheers guys, count me in : it sounds like alot of fun!

also

2 People have given a Cookie to Logan: Launch, Post Script.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Adam Koebel is the sole reason I even know about this game, he is a star.

This video of his is what sold me on it:

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I've watched Adam since he started running campaigns with ItMeJP on Twitch, several of which i've seen every single episode of (although my favourite was RollPlay Solum which was a different DM). He's very good. I really enjoyed his apocalypse world one.
    Cookie given from: Launch

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Here's the way we'll get an idea for what days work best for everyone.

https://www.strawpoll.me/16481117

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Launch View Post
    Oh, and another fun note: It doesn't have to be cooperative at all. Since everybody has their own schemes and plans, they can (and if I have any say in it, will) conflict and cause you guys to have heated debates about who is right and wrong. All while reaping experience for roleplaying your character sticking to their guns.
    I do wanna clarify: you'll get the most out of the game if you have at least some connection to the other players as to not write yourself out of the interactions. So you're probably not mortal enemies (at least, not at the beginning of play), but I expect beliefs and wants from characters will clash at times, since it will create juicy drama.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

So, did everyone fill in the poll? Because it's kinda hard to track how many people answered through multiple answer options
    Cookie given from: ehdoo

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

This sounds really interesting, I'm generally free every day but I have the odd week where I can't commit due to being on call, if you're sticking to an every other week schedule I could move being on call around that.

However if you're set on having 4 players let me know if someone drops out!
    Cookie given from: Launch
    02:24 - Focusknock: why is it that I find you with a moomin avatar unsurprising and fitting
    02:24 - Focusknock: why are you so good as a moomin

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Holy crÍpe! Has been a while since I played the Paladin MacNetron with Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
    Anyways, it is better for me not to sign up, as I've not enough long free time to seriously participate.

Kudo's Launch for running this! Have fun!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Alright, alright, alright boyos. Sadly there isn't a date that has the clear preference of everyone, so there's going to be have to be compromises.

How would we as a group feel about playing on sundays? Sundays have my preference (even though I didn't quite realize that at the time of voting, so count Sunday as having +1 vote), because it means we can start earlier and dedicate more time per session to play, and it doesn't have to go on until late in the night.

I will just throw the following suggestion down: How about we try our very own world-and-character-building Session 0 on Sunday the 23rd of September at 4 PM BST?

If this won't work at all, let's talk about it so we can figure something out. Different date, different day, different time. Let me know, guys!

@Cowmugger: I've been contemplating opening up a fifth slot for you, but it's my first time running this, and it's already fairly complicated to run as is, so when I feel that I can comfortably GM this, you'll be the first I hit up to join us.
    Cookie given from: Cowmugger

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

No problem - I've been reading through the SRD and there's a lot to keep track of so I don't blame you for keeping it at 4 people
    02:24 - Focusknock: why is it that I find you with a moomin avatar unsurprising and fitting
    02:24 - Focusknock: why are you so good as a moomin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast