Thread: Mouse + Keyboard Combo

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Mouse + Keyboard Combo

Hello there,

I'm considering changing my good old cheap 10 years old mouse + keyboard combo ( Logitech MX518 + Dell Business KB212).

I don't have any definitive budget but I think that 150€ / 130 looks to be enough for my needs. I can go further though.

For the mouse, the Roccat Kone Pure seems to be the better quality/price ratio.
    I've read some articles and forum posts on it, and opinions are very positive.

I eventually can afford the Kone EMP / Kone XTD series but the LED colors are a bit too much for me.

I'm a bit lost in my keyboard choice though. I want to buy a mechanical keyboard but the offer is very large and the prices can be high for no reasons ( to me).
    What do you think of the Roccat Suora or the Corsair Vengeance K70 ?

There is a bundle Roccat Suora + Kone XTD at 150€ that looks cool to me. What do you think about that ? ( Sorry for the french website link).
    Last edited by cspflo; 22-05-2017 at 21:56.
    Cookie given from: AngryPotato

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: Mouse + Keyboard Combo

I have a Final Mouse and love it - before that i'd have recommended a Zowie ec2 (have had 2, great mice) - both influenced heavily by my preference for a logitech g5 style mouse..

My Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless is as good as new 5 years later.

So they would be my recommendations
    Cookie given from: cspflo

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

K70 is good, I have the RGB variant, make sure you get the switches you want though.

I had blues which I loved, but the keyboard broke, corsair apparently had big issues with QC on blue switches such that they discontinued the option so I had to have browns as a replacement, which is okay, just not blues.

If I had to go for a new keyboard right now, I'd probably get a Das Keyboard 4 - but that's entirely personal preference.

You should try the different switches to find your preference, when I went for a new keyboard I ordered one of these to see which I liked best.

Whatever you get, bear the software in mind if it has macro keys and lighting or whatever as that can ruin an otherwise well made product.

As for mice, I've had 3 x Logitech G5, 2 x Logitech G500 and now a Logitech G502 - I'm pretty loyal to the design.

There's no such thing as a bad joke. LiveAndLetChar's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Just my 2 cents regarding Corsair K70:

TLDR: Mine's a bit faulty and the software causes issues with games and my PC. Would recommend it though, as it could just be a one off.

I have the Corsair K70 Vengeance RGB (Cherry MX switches). I used to recommend it a lot, but I've since changed my mind about how good it is. When I first bought it I had to send it back because one of the LEDs was broken and a key didn't work. I stuck with the replacement that was sent.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Seric View Post
    bear the software in mind if it has macro keys and lighting or whatever as that can ruin an otherwise well made product.
    My old computer began to blue screen an insane amount towards to the end of it's life, so I replaced it with a high end PC so I wouldn't have blue screens interrupting my gaming. Still got blue screens on the completely new PC, the only things carried over being my mouse and keyboard. I uninstalled the software (allows you to change lighting effects and actions) for the K70, and suddenly the blue screens stopped completely. I have not had one since. Can't say for sure if it was the software causing blue screens on my old PC too, as it was 4 years old, but I've considered it contributing at least a little bit.

Just started playing Fallout 4 again, it runs fine. I reinstalled the K70 software cos I want cool colours, but the game started closing randomly and I had a couple instances of major fps lag (I'd say about 1 frame per 2 seconds) lasting a couple minutes. Uninstalled the software again, Fallout 4 back to working perfectly.

--

I've had this keyboard for maybe 3 years, and it used to be my most prize possession, so it's been treated very well. The 'D' key is tinted red slightly, something I noticed when I set the colour to white, as it goes pink and I had this same problem with the keyboard I sent back when I first bought it.

In terms of positives
    1. It's very comfortable with the wrist guard
    2. There's lots of customisation if the software works
    3. Keys make a lovely clicky sound
    4. Good for fast typing (some people think mechanical keyboards aren't good for it, but I think this one is great, I can type fast and accurately with it)
    5. Has a windows lock key which I find pretty useful

I'd probably still recommend it, cos I love it despite the few issues, and it could just be this individual keyboard that has problems, but I wanted to let you know my experience with the K70 in case it helps with your decision.
    Last edited by LiveAndLetChar; 22-05-2017 at 20:01. Reason: Formatting

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Conversely, I've had no issues with the software on either of my computers - I'd go as far as to say it's 'okay'.

Not as good as Logitech's software, but quite usable.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I have the Corsair Strafe keyboard, I'm not sure if the software is the same as the K70, but I have found it to work very well actually, Surprisingly so given that most peripheral software is shite.
    (also I love the strafe, uses Cherry Mx Silent keys, which are quiet, but satisfying keys to type with, works excellently for games too. The lights are fancy and not especially my 'thing', but the keyboard is very good.)
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I've got a '10 key less' CM Storm QuickFire TK keyboard, with cherry mx brown switches.

This safes me a bit of space on the desk, especially when using in combination with a Thrustmaster hotas warthog
    And I want a keypad, but you rarely use that while gaming / developing.
    Only 'disadvantage' is that this is not a wireless keyboard. But I've yet to find a wireless mechanical keyboard with backlight and slightly smaller design

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by MacNetron View Post
    And I want a keypad, but you rarely use that while gaming / developing.
    Out of curiosity, I assume 'home' and 'end' are activated with shift + 8 and shift + 5? I use them a lot in dev work but am interested in a smaller form keyboard for certain occasions. Curious as to if it's awkward (if you use them), or if it's just one of those things you get used to.

I actually might just look for a keyboard that's 10 keyless but also without the keypad, but retain the home and end keys, that would be perfect, but good quality ones seem hard to find
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Thanks for your answers.

I forgot to write some informations.

A full keyboard is needed. I'm writing/coding/working sometimes from home and the side keys are useful.

The keyboard can be wired. More of that, the keyboard never moves from my desk. And I don't want to manage batteries for a keyboard.

The Cherry Mx Brown, Red, Blue keys seem to cover the whole range of mechanical keyboards.
    https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/mechanical_switches.php

If everything goes well, I should be able to test keyboards in a computer shop next month to make my final decision. And I will choose my mechanical switch type before the keyboard model.

One noob question: The Roccat Suora is a TTC switch keyboard.
    I think I can replace the TTC switch to another TTC if I want. But, can I change the TTC to a Cherry type ?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by cspflo View Post
    One noob question: The Roccat Suora is a TTC switch keyboard.
    I think I can replace the TTC switch to another TTC if I want. But, can I change the TTC to a Cherry type ?
    It's highly unlikely to be compatible such that you would be able to do a straight swap.

Edit: For anyone else who might have to look up what TTC switches are

TTC is short for "Trantek Co", another microswitch maker in China. They supposedly has an ISO certified lab for microswitches on site and do certifications for other microswitches (mice, car, mechanical keyboards...) from other manufacturers as well as make their own switches.

No idea how's their reliability though.

No English website

http://www.ttc9.com/cn/products/index_99_1.html
    From: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK...tches/d0h4m9d/

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I was about to post that the Corsair K70 meets all my requirements, but damn, the Das Keyboard looks really cool.

Another noob question. In France, our standard is the AZERTY layout. Not sure about that, but there is a project to change our standard layout ( for a BEPO layout).

If I'm buying a QWERTY layout keyboard, can I switch the caps to match any layout I want ?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3agle View Post
    Out of curiosity, I assume 'home' and 'end' are activated with shift + 8 and shift + 5? I use them a lot in dev work but am interested in a smaller form keyboard for certain occasions. Curious as to if it's awkward (if you use them), or if it's just one of those things you get used to.

I actually might just look for a keyboard that's 10 keyless but also without the keypad, but retain the home and end keys, that would be perfect, but good quality ones seem hard to find
    Will you believe you've learned me something new? I never knew that that was possible!
    Just tested on my keyboard at work (wireless logitech solar one, no recharge issue ) and this works too. Amazing...

On the CM, I just NumLock to the other mode. So it can be the "key-pad", or the "move-pad".

[..]
    Another noob question. In France, our standard is the AZERTY layout. Not sure about that, but there is a project to change our standard layout ( for a BEPO layout).

If I'm buying a QWERTY layout keyboard, can I switch the caps to match any layout I want ?
    You can create any layout you want by swapping the caps, but pressing it will produce the original key. It is only a cap.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I'm not too knowledgeable in this subject, but changing the keyboard layout software-side between AZERTY/QWERTY can be easily done through settings in W10. Open Settings -> Time and Language -> Region and Language -> Under language press French (your default language) and press Options and then under Keyboard choose the applicable keyboard layout settings. If I change Swedish QWERTY to Brittish QWERTY, pressing results in [;' for instance and typing qwerty with French layout results in azerty.

If you do that + change the caps on the QWERTY-keyboard to AZERTY, your keyboard should behave like you want it to I believe. I'm a bit unsure though whether all key caps (that needs switching) are the same size or not.

---

I'm using Func KB-460, it's simple but to my liking. At the time of purchase, it was probably the cheapest mechanical keyboard I could find with my requirements of wanting a normal-sized keyboard with backlighting and media buttons. This keyboard has red backlighting which I first thought wasn't as stylish as white, but I have found it to be much more eye-friendly for me. It's using Cherry Brown which are OK (press down until you reach a bump where upon it registers), I think I would like stiffer bumps (black?) or having no bump at all if I were to buy a new one. It includes an optional wrist support of so-so quality and two USB-ports on the back which I also don't use. I've added o-rings to make it quieter which also makes your "press-length" shorter, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I believe Func was bought by Fnatic or some e-sport thingy so it may not be available any more.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
    I'm not too knowledgeable in this subject, but changing the keyboard layout software-side between AZERTY/QWERTY can be easily done through settings in W10. Open Settings -> Time and Language -> Region and Language -> Under language press French (your default language) and press Options and then under Keyboard choose the applicable keyboard layout settings. If I change Swedish QWERTY to Brittish QWERTY, pressing results in [;' for instance and typing qwerty with French layout results in azerty.

If you do that + change the caps on the QWERTY-keyboard to AZERTY, your keyboard should behave like you want it to I believe. I'm a bit unsure though whether all key caps (that needs switching) are the same size or not.
    Yes, I know all these tricks. Some games don't feature re-bind of the controls and/or are QWERTY only ( Robocraft for example, when I tried it), and many french gamers know that we can change the layout by Win+R or in these settings.
    I just wanted to know if it's possible to change "physically" the layout .

On a side note, do you often change your Cherry Mx switches ? What are the longetivity of the switches with your own usage of it ?

And the https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ website is really helpful.
    And the good old MacNetron's website too : http://www.logicalincrements.com/keyboards

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

the Corsair K70 meets all my requirements, but damn, the Das Keyboard looks really cool.

I retract my recommendation for Das Keyboard. DO NOT BUY ONE.

After some research, it could be a pain the arse for you to convert and apparently the build quality isn't what it used to be.

Check out the discussions on /r/MechanicalKeyboards

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK...das_4_and_k70/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK...s_corsair_k70/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK...isappointment/

They have a buyers guide which you might find useful here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK...i/buying_guide

I'd go with the Corsair, it's a decent keyboard.
    2 People have given a Cookie to Seric: cspflo, MacNetron.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

End of the story.

I've bought the Roccat Kone Pure for 50€ and the Corsair Strafe ( with Cherry Mx Red) for 120€.

The mouse is simple, but it exactly meet my requeriments. Cheap, light, with not a lot of buttons and sober.

The keyboard is the low-end model for Corsair ( Maybe the cheapest of their range). I tried the Brown, Blue and Red switches before deciding the red ones. I didn't want the Multicolor leds, I just wanted to highlight some of the keys depending of the games.
    The feel of the keys are pretty nice; a bit noisy, but it's not a problem as I'm single ().
    4 People have given a Cookie to cspflo: AngryPotato, LiveAndLetChar, Logan.ps, MacNetron.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

You can use O-rings to dampen the sound if you think it is too noise or find a partner

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

The mouse is simple, but it exactly meet my requeriments. Cheap, light, with not a lot of buttons and sober.
    Ah, yes.

I, too, often have problems with drunk mouse.
    4 People have given a Cookie to Seric: AngryPotato, LiveAndLetChar, MacNetron.ps, Myaumix