Thread: Feel like a headset upgrade.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Feel like a headset upgrade.

I've been rolling the Creative Fatal1ty for nearly 2 years now and they've served me well, and still are working, but I've never found them that comfortable and the quality has always been average, I've noticed the left ear can go a bit quiet and I have to mess around with the cable a bit, and I've had a lot of issues with positional audio, especially on CS. I used the have the Turtle Beach P12 before hand and my cousin bought the same ones, I tried them on the other day and the quality is so much better and they're so much more comfortable. I find they have a lot more of a bassy feel to them, and makes my Fatal1ty's feel pathetic in comparison.

I wasn't going to be posting here, as I have been pretty keen on the SteelSeries Siberia headsets. However The v3 has some questionable reviews, and only 3* rating on Amazon, so now I'm not so sure.
    I have also been looking at the Siberia 200 and v2 which all look very similar, v2 prices are really high on Amazon as I assume they're harder to find new now. Are there any significant differences to be aware of, or any similar alternatives I can find?
    I'm looking preferably for something with quite big ear muffs, the Fatal1tys kinda sit on my ears, where as the P12's used to fit around my ears which I found more comfortable.

The Siberia v3 came to about 60 from Amazon which I would say is top end of my budgets, anything less than 60. If anyone has used them or the v2's I'd love to hear your comments, and if there are any suggestions for nice headsets <60 that would be much appreciated!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: Feel like a headset upgrade.

I have Corsair Vengeance 1500, works well enough for me, it's hard to tell if other headsets would be better for CS since the update to sounds totally fucked up positional audio in general...
    The 1500's are comfy and have great build quality though, they fit around the ears like you wanted, I'm not sure what the price point is these days, they were maybe a touch over your budget when I got them about a year ago.
    The drivers/software isn't amazing but it does the job and haven't had much experience with other software in that area tbh.

I do recommend Sennheiser if you really want quality headsets, but they get very pricey. One can dream, one day I'll have some Sennheisers.
    Cookie given from: hazo.ps
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I'm not sure quality will help you with positional audio in CS:GO - the sound engineering is shit in that game.

I use an Objective Rev 2 ODAC and Sennheiser HD600 headphones with a 650 cable and I can barely tell where people are running. Compared to CS:S where I used to play at a high comp level, it's very ambiguous.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Ahh maybe that's why. I do remember playing once absolutely ages ago and suddenly felt like the audio in the game wasn't right. It must have been that update.

Thanks for the poss guys I'll keep hunting. I've heard good things about Sennheiser but as you say they are all very costly.

Also thought of the option of a separate pair of headphones and a mic. I assume in that case it would be a desk mic? I know for quality it's the best option but assume it's a heck of a lot pricer. I don't really know where to start looking for these.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

This evenings exploring has found these:

Siberia 100 / 150
    Siberia v2

Siberia 150 is looking best for me so far, but all sound decent enough, but the tiny mic seems weird, I might give it a try

also siberia 200 sounds like a better option to the v2 or 3. and those are just about 60

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

If you want v2's then you can get new, factory sealed ones on eBay for about 50. The 200s are basically rebadged v2s as far as I can tell, maybe they've been changed a little bit but it's pretty much the same.

Never had a problem with the sound on my Siberia v2s when I had them, but they aren't the most reliable headset if you're talking long term longevity. For 50 though, can't really complain.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

If you can stretch your budget a tad to 68.99 you can get a Sennheiser PC320 headset

If you want to get separate mic/headphones something like a pair of Sennheiser HD 205 II and a Kinobo USB Mic (which sounds surprisingly good for 12) that comes to 47 but I've no idea how the sound quality would compare to the headset.

If I was looking at buying a separate headphones/mic setup I'd probably save up some cash and get a pair of Audio-Technica AT-M50X headphones and honestly, that Kinobo mic sounds good enough.

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Gotta warn you about desk microphones. Sure, your voice might sound alright but they pick up all the background noise in your room, the sound of your keyboard/controller etc. It'll make using voice activation that activates only on your voice (not on your chair squeaking etc.) very difficult. You can mitigate this if you keep the mic on your desk inbetween yourself and your screen, but this can be a pain in the arse.

Realistically, the simplest solution is the headset w/ integrated mic. If you're an audiophile then by all means, go for the seperate headset + desk mic - it's going to be better sound quality for your buck.

Be careful about those PC320s - they are open backed, which takes a bit of getting used to. I much prefer closed back designs, which is what the Steelseries headsets generally (all?) are.
    2 People have given a Cookie to Overload: AngryPotato, hazo.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I've got 2 (!!!) Steelseries H headsets (they are wireless, and I pair the one I use to the laptop or desktop, so atm I am using 1 headset and 2 receivers) and it is the best headset I've ever bought. The wireless range is great: You can even hear me go to the toilet in the bathroom one floor down.
    Seems like they have renamed it to Siberia 800 now. Only disadvantage is the price tag.

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by MacNetron View Post
    You can even hear me go to the toilet in the bathroom one floor down.
    Unfortunately can confirm
    5 People have given a Cookie to Overload: 3agle.ps, almightybob.ps, AngryPotato, hazo.ps, MacNetron.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the posts guys, I think I'm going to go for the Siberia 200, looking around they seem to be pretty much identical to the v2 is every way. The 150 looked interesting, and I wanted to give them a try as I liked the idea of having the mic out of the way of the face, and you can mute the mic by tapping the side of the headset sounded quite cool. But again the cool features it had could be impractical, so I decided it'll probably be best to go for the reliably popular 200's, which are just in price range, even if it is 15 more.