Thread: Bootstrap is Boring

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Bootstrap is Boring

I was thinking about how aesthetically boring bootstrap is today. It's so prevalent that each website is looking more and more like the next.

That led me to this article:

That article references old flash sites that I remember trying to recreate parts of back when I used to play around with flash animation, they look a bit odd now but I still feel a bit nostalgic.

Does bootstrap bore you?

Are there other style frameworks you use?
    2 People have given a Cookie to Seric: palm pilot, Post Script.ps

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: Bootstrap is Boring

I used Materialize for a group project and for my own personal website recently. I didn't dive very deep into it, but it looks pretty enough without requiring much fiddling. I'm completely artistically challenged, so if I can make a website look half decent using it then anyone can
    3 People have given a Cookie to Overload: Jeeva.ps, palm pilot, Seric.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Overload View Post
    I used Materialize...
    That looks nice, I'll have to give it a bash.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I'm a big fan of it (and other simple tested frameworks). Because of it, the chances of me visitting a really ugly, badly designed website, when all i'm usually there for is content, are reduced substantially.

Plenty of places for creativity on the web these days - compared to back in the flash wonderyears. Spacing, font and navigation are things I prefer standardised - unless handled by an expert

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Oh lord, I so totally agree. This all began with the "Web 2.0" bull which gave everyone a hardon for simplicity.

Like, I get it, you want your site to be usable and familiar so the maximum amount of people will use it. And honestly, I can appreciate that. However, it's just so hard to see original design nowadays. Some of my favorite websites are actually usually for video games. For some reason, game makers just have the creative chutzpah to try different things. For instance, The website for Below is just beautiful or the Website for the SOMA ARG (which is sadly taken down now. That's an archive link, but it was a super cool site that functioned like an OS and loaded images and videos.)

If you want to see a web-design seizure, look no further than my Web Design Final from when I was in Uni:

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I'm a big fan of it (and other simple tested frameworks). Because of it, the chances of me visitting a really ugly, badly designed website, when all i'm usually there for is content, are reduced substantially.

Plenty of places for creativity on the web these days - compared to back in the flash wonderyears. Spacing, font and navigation are things I prefer standardised - unless handled by an expert
    I see where you're coming from, but my gripe comes from the same-y-ness of many sites I come across. There's so many websites out there that are nearly carbon copies of each other because of their inability to come up with something that resembles originality. Either they use bootstrap's default stylings too liberally or they use some Squarespace template that every other Squarespace website uses.

At this point the internet is like walking into a neighborhood where every house uses Ikea as their primary source of home decorations. Sure, it's nice to look at, but it sure does get old after a while.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

It's not that it's nice to look at that makes me pleased for it and other simple standards' ubiquity. It's the fact that I don't look at it - barely notice it.

There are many exceptions though - If it were used on an Art, a Design or a typography website, for example, I would be suprised and disappointed.

Don't get me wrong - I'd far rather see a beautifully designed original site - but that isn't the alternative i'm thinking of when I give support for bootstrap.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

4 People have given a Cookie to Seric: 3agle.ps, MacNetron.ps, palm pilot, Sloth.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

^ tweaked example

Iframe URL: Show

http://seric-x.com
    Cookie given from: palm pilot