Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Upgrade

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

PC Upgrade

Hey guys,

I'm looking into upgrading my PC, just to give it a second youth. Here is my actual configuration.

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1Go, DirectX 11, ATI Eyefinity
    G.Skill Kit Extreme3 2 x 2 Go PC12800 Ripjaws CAS 9
    Intel Core i5 760

and Antec Three Hundred
    Asus P7P55D
    OCZ StealthXStream II - 500W
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 S-ATA - 1000 Go - 32 Mo

I'm thinking about buying another graphic card and 4 more RAM Go. Am I right ? Maybe another item to improve ?
    Which graphic card is worth it ?

( I don't have any budget on it, just want to avoid to exceed 400-500 on the package)

Cookies by advance.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: PC Upgrade

still at work, but gonna drop this here for now: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I don't see an SSD - it's the component that will give you the biggest boost at the moment without needing to change your motherboard.

120gb ssd system drive - http://www.ebuyer.com/539151-samsung...ly-mz-7te120bw 69.18
    8gb of corsiar memory - http://www.ebuyer.com/342352-crucial...d1609ds1s00ceu 64.78
    NVidia 660 - http://www.ebuyer.com/396967-gigabyt...-gv-n660oc-2gd 147.59

Total: 281.56/€341.81

I only did this quickly, so it's a rough idea of the kinda money/spec you could do. I opted to selected a new set of 8gb but I'm weird with RAM, I like it all to match. I also didn't do any research into that specific flavour of that 660, there may be better versions from other manufacturers.
    Cookie given from: cspflo

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

That sounds nice.
    Actually, I just need to buy 4Go RAM because I already have 2x2Go RAM. Not a big saving, but it's always 40.

Do you think my 500W power supply is big enough for all this shit ?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Possibly/probably - but I'm not good at estimating these things so I always vastly overspec my PSU so it can deal with future upgrades.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I came to make a thread about what to upgrade but turns out flo and I have similar systems and similar budgets, so I'm guessing the advice would be the same

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

For information, I've bought this :

Skill Extreme3 1 x 4 Go PC12800 Ripjaws CAS 9 41,39 €
    Samsung Serie 840 EVO - 250 Go 120,95 €
    MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC TF - 2 Go (N760 TF 2GD5/OC) 225,95 €
    3 People have given a Cookie to cspflo: almightybob.ps, Logan.ps, Seric.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Anyone care to suggest the next upgrade for my machine? I've been split between GPU/monitor (3D)/CPU etc.

Specs are:
    CPU - i7 950
    GPU - 2x GeForce GTX 460 (768mb)
    RAM - 16 GB
    Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-e
    HDD - 120 SSD, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB
    Monitor - Acer X243s

If anyone could also suggest a decent pair of speakers that won't break the bank that would be nice

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Looks like it'd be your CPU holding you back if anything, being that it was one of the first i7's released in June 2009

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Two successful upgrades so far today, RAM was a breeze and transition from HDD to SSD seems to have gone smoothly. Definitely noticed a speed increase in pretty much everything so far, although not tried any gaming yet. Last up is the graphics card!

New system:
    CPU - i5 760
    GPU - GeForce GTX 760 (1Gb)
    RAM - 2x8Gb Corsair 1333MHz
    Mobo - Asus P7P55D
    Storage - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD, 256Gb internal HDD, 1Tb external HDD
    Monitors - SyncMaster 940N 1280x1024 @60Hz, BenQ XL2411T 1920x1080 @120Hz

Unfortunately I suspect the limiting factor now is the CPU and mobo, which I suspect is a much (much much) bigger job than the fairly simple upgrades I've just done. Still, I'm 2 for 2 so far!
    2 People have given a Cookie to almightybob: cspflo, Logan.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Phantom View Post
    Specs are:
    CPU - i7 950
    GPU - 2x GeForce GTX 460 (768mb)
    RAM - 16 GB
    Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-e
    HDD - 120 SSD, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB
    Monitor - Acer X243s
    Quote Originally Posted by almightybob.ps
    New system:
    CPU - i5 760
    Mobo - Asus P7P55D
    Both of these are hampered by the CPU, I'm still clinging on to a 1st generation i7-875k and it is starting to show it's age when it comes to the top end.
    For a gaming system brought up too date today you should be on Ivy-Bridge at a minimum really (especially when using a GTX 760)*

The GTX 460's can't be doing much these days I'd imagine, probably need to be on the 600 series at a minimum, though really, that whole system needs an upgrade (RAM might be re-usable if not terrible)

The GTX 760 is most likely held back by the RAM speeds, though at the moment it won't matter on that MB, but in a newer one it would.

Not very nice advice, I know, but at least newer components are much nicer on power consumption, so you can save on energy bills.

I'm going to be upgrading myself soon, with 700 of components planned, 1st gen i-series is on the way out

*Though take with a pinch of salt, I like my games to run on the highest settings, so I tend to sink money into my system, totally not necessary if you don't care or play less intensive games.
    3 People have given a Cookie to 3agle: almightybob.ps, cspflo, Vox
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by almightybob View Post

New system:
    CPU - i5 760
    Mobo - Asus P7P55D
    What power supply do you have ?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Can't remember the brand but it's 650W.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by 3agle View Post
    RAM might be re-usable if not terrible
    Does this help? No idea what these numbers mean, but I do know they ARE numbers.

RAM.PNG

EDIT: I also checked my CPU on http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ and it seems to be up there with the current i5s, am I missing something? If I upgrade my GPUs to a GTX 770 will my current CPU bottleneck it? And is my mobo ok?

Cheers for all the help btw!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Phantom View Post
    Does this help? No idea what these numbers mean, but I do know they ARE numbers.

EDIT: I also checked my CPU on http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ and it seems to be up there with the current i5s, am I missing something? If I upgrade my GPUs to a GTX 770 will my current CPU bottleneck it? And is my mobo ok?

Cheers for all the help btw!
    The RAM isn't all that bad in your system, but if you were to upgrade, I'd be tempted to get new RAM too. I'm not sure of the actual DRAM frequency (CPU-Z tends to report half the actual frequency whereas pretty much everyone else uses the doubled figure), but it looks like it'd be around 1066MHz, which is slow if you're going to upgrade to a GTX 770. The timings are good, though, for what it's worth.

Again, CPU isn't bad per-se, especially in your system (which is relatively well rounded for the most part), but there-in lies the issue, there's no inherent weakness in your system, but changing one part will just mean it's bottlenecked by another somewhere else.

It comes down to what you need the system for at the end of the day. If you want to bring your PC into the current gen of high-end gaming, play the latest games at 60Hz on good settings, you're looking at a new barebones system (i.e. MB, CPU, RAM and a GPU on top (in that order too)).
    If you like your indie titles, or 2D games, or the lower-intensity new games (think CS:GO, XCOM, Dark Souls etc), you may not need to upgrade anything, especially if you overclock that CPU.
    There's the other angle which is if this is a forward-looking upgrade or not, if preparing for future games and longevity of the upgrade, you want to sink some money into that MB/CPU. But if you just want some quick and dirty performance for right now, you can just get a new GPU, it will likely be bottlenecked (if a GTX 770 for example), but it would still be an improvement. There's also the positive that you can use that GPU for as long as it's relevant, it doesn't rely on other components to be compatible, like the CPU.

Though since you asked which bit to upgrade, honestly I'd say it's the motherboard, which comes with the caveat of needing a new CPU, and if doing that you may aswell get new RAM.
    How much you spend on those components is totally up to you, generally the more you spend on the MB the longer you are safe with being able to just upgrade CPU, however that's less and less the case with Intel releasing new socket types every 9 months...

Bob's is easier, as he should be ok just upgrading CPU and MB, then it should be fine for a good long while.

It's a sign that you've had a good system though when it's hard to see a real problem piece when the hardware comes towards the end of the line.
    2 People have given a Cookie to 3agle: almightybob.ps, Logan.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

The RAM isn't all that bad in your system, but if you were to upgrade, I'd be tempted to get new RAM too. I'm not sure of the actual DRAM frequency (CPU-Z tends to report half the actual frequency whereas pretty much everyone else uses the doubled figure), but it looks like it'd be around 1066MHz, which is slow if you're going to upgrade to a GTX 770. The timings are good, though, for what it's worth.

Again, CPU isn't bad per-se, especially in your system (which is relatively well rounded for the most part), but there-in lies the issue, there's no inherent weakness in your system, but changing one part will just mean it's bottlenecked by another somewhere else.

It comes down to what you need the system for at the end of the day. If you want to bring your PC into the current gen of high-end gaming, play the latest games at 60Hz on good settings, you're looking at a new barebones system (i.e. MB, CPU, RAM and a GPU on top (in that order too)).
    If you like your indie titles, or 2D games, or the lower-intensity new games (think CS:GO, XCOM, Dark Souls etc), you may not need to upgrade anything, especially if you overclock that CPU.
    There's the other angle which is if this is a forward-looking upgrade or not, if preparing for future games and longevity of the upgrade, you want to sink some money into that MB/CPU. But if you just want some quick and dirty performance for right now, you can just get a new GPU, it will likely be bottlenecked (if a GTX 770 for example), but it would still be an improvement. There's also the positive that you can use that GPU for as long as it's relevant, it doesn't rely on other components to be compatible, like the CPU.

Though since you asked which bit to upgrade, honestly I'd say it's the motherboard, which comes with the caveat of needing a new CPU, and if doing that you may aswell get new RAM.
    How much you spend on those components is totally up to you, generally the more you spend on the MB the longer you are safe with being able to just upgrade CPU, however that's less and less the case with Intel releasing new socket types every 9 months...

Bob's is easier, as he should be ok just upgrading CPU and MB, then it should be fine for a good long while.

It's a sign that you've had a good system though when it's hard to see a real problem piece when the hardware comes towards the end of the line.
    So something like thishttp://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3f7Si? I think i only got that RAM last Christmas. Is it better to get 1x 8gb stick or 2x 4 gb stick?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Yeah that all looks great to me.
    I personally tend to try and go with ASUS motherboards just in case I ever need to flash the BIOS for whatever reason, incredibly easy to do on their boards, but that's not an everyday kinda thing,

There is a compatability notice on those parts too, which shows that the voltage on that RAM is over the specifications for Ivy-Bridge, going with one from this list would probably be more ideal:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/mem...90&h=1&sort=a9

edit: or you can get faster ram if you wish of course, it's just the voltage limit you need to watch for, fortunately you can filter by just that
    Cookie given from: Vox

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Yeah that all looks great to me.
    I personally tend to try and go with ASUS motherboards just in case I ever need to flash the BIOS for whatever reason, incredibly easy to do on their boards, but that's not an everyday kinda thing,

There is a compatability notice on those parts too, which shows that the voltage on that RAM is over the specifications for Ivy-Bridge, going with one from this list would probably be more ideal:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/mem...90&h=1&sort=a9

edit: or you can get faster ram if you wish of course, it's just the voltage limit you need to watch for, fortunately you can filter by just that
    Well spotted! Thanks for the advice now just need to get 600 from somewhere :p

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

yeah tell me about it, my next upgrade is about 730 :S
    Cookie given from: Vox

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I guess I'll chime in looking for help too:

Currently running:
    AMD Athlon II x4 640
    ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2
    Nvidia GTX 470
    8gb DDR3 RAM @1333 MHz
    430W Corsair CX430 (I think)

Needing to upgrade to play Watch_Dogs when it comes out, was looking at getting an AMD FX8320 Black Edition, which AFAIK should be compatible after a BIOS update. Just wondering if you guys could reccomend anything better under 150 to do. Wouldn't mind upgrading the motherboard to one with USB3 (and ideally not MicroATX), but it's not too important atm.

End plan is also to be able to get 240 fps consistently in csgo and tf2 (planning on getting a 120/144 Hz monitor later on), fairly certain the CPU's bottlenecking the performance in most games right now.

Cheers for any help, not 100% certain on what to do at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast