Thread: Thoughts on laptop repair

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Thoughts on laptop repair

I've had a laptop in to get repaired and I was wondering if I could get a few thoughts on what has happened ( things seem less than favorable).

So here is what has happened.

Firstly the power jack was a bit loose and the charger had to be wiggled around to get it to connect properly, which would get worse the longer it went on, which coupled with a poor battery meant it could be annoying but not world ending(hyperbole). So i put it in a repair shop to get a new jack placed in and that was simple enough right? So on getting it back the laptop would now turn off automatically after 10-20s ( I presumed overheating).

I put it back in and indeed they said the it was overheating and that they replaced the gel under the heatsink, bit of a coincidence that this happened straight after they had replaced the power jack since it had no heat issues prior( I run monitor programs as I am wary with laptops).

Now I get it home and great it charges, it turns on woop! watching something happily in the living room and they we decide to go watch continue to watch it in bed, I pull out the charger and instantly it turns off. Now the battery was poor beforehand but now it wouldn't run the computer for even a second. The shop said that since it was an old battery that now it was now getting a full charge the cells in the battery must have just died( even though the batter monitor said 100% and the same wear and charge capacity as before the repair). I took this at face value as a possibility( even though yet again it seemed a strange coincidence) and bought a new battery. Charged it up and the computer say 100% full at max capacity and good to go, out goes the charger and poof it turn off instantly...

Any thoughts on what has happened? I can only presume that the initial repair knocked a cable of such loose causing the overheating and that the subsequent overheating has damaged something on the mobo to stop it being able to receive charge from the battery? The computer still runs properly but not being able to move it from room to room without a full shutdown should not be the case and is a pain considering it is our main mode of watching tv etc in the our flat.

Needless to say my fiancée is not best pleased. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated, especially considering the amount you would have to read to get there
    Burning Ice and Biting Flame!

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: Thoughts on laptop repair

Try removing the battery while the laptop is plugged in and put it back in again.

There should be some notifications that you removed it/inserted it back again.

But seems they indeed knocked something loose. If they did, I'd go back and demand to repair it for free, but might be hard to get proof it's their fault.
    Last.Played

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

That many things conveniently happening one after the other does sound like it's their end. Where are you taking it? I highly recommend Creative Computing on Pollockshaws Road.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Cheers hawk will do.

And brian I'll let them know about your recomendation when I take back for the 5th time on thursday :-P

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Does it actually say "Plugged in, Charging" down in the notification tray? Sounds weird. But I'd give them an earful.

If they're used to fixing computer issues, the first thing they should have done about your battery is plug it into another laptop (where possible) to check it. If they didn't even mention that, then I'd bitch slap them.
    But take that with a pinch of salt... I'm notoriously tough talking on the internet yet a complete wuss in reality

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    And brian I'll let them know about your recomendation when I take back for the 5th time on thursday :-P
    Oh. Well then.

They've always been reasonable about it when I've gone there for anything, I doubt they'll keep charging you if you explain that you keep getting it back with a different problem. Not sure where else you could try in the Shawlands area.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I've put in another shop in the area who said it sounds like something has burned out on the board which is causing the problem, I'll get it back this afternoon so I can still keep my other appointment to put it into the original repair shop tomorrow. I'll be interested to see if they say the same thing.

They had always be decent prior to this too, just seem to have fudged something and don't want to admit it.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

You could always try sticking it in the oven for a little while, that tends to work like 95% of the time, right?
    2 People have given a Cookie to 3agle: almightybob.ps, Chips.ps
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Cookie given from: palm pilot

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I hope you've not been charged by the same shop each time you had to take it back... especially since it appears it wasn't the battery. Whether they've caused the battery issue while poking around is another matter.