Thread: mr.brick's weekly question (of the week!) #27 and #28

It's ALWAYS party time!
    Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

mr.brick's weekly question (of the week!) #27 and #28

Well hello there! If you guessed this thread was about the mating process of the south African negro-whale, well then you're wrong. It's about questions (read: it's always about questions). Since the finals are slowly yet viciously approaching most of our daily lives (They for me at least, I'm not sure how that stuff works in other countries), I thought it was a good idea to go through some questions (and maybe even useful tips) to help us pass those pesky tests. Since I'm usually a bit late with my questions, this week you'll already get a double question as a part of the super duper how-do-I-pass-my-finals-brick-please-help-me-I'm-so-desperate series of threads! Let's go!

So, Playstuff, tell me:

How many days/weeks/months(/years?) before do you start studying?

and

How do you actually start studying? (read: how to deal with the fact that you're a procrastinator?)
    Error 404: Sig not found

The artist formerly known as
    Nuttmegger
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: mr.brick's weekly question (of the week!) #27 and #28

3 days was pretty standard for me. Got a 2:1 out of it.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Pro tip: Do not start writing a dissertation at 2am on the morning you need to hand it in with no planning, notes, or reference while getting progressively more and more drunk on whisky. You will probably not pass that dissertation.

Other than that, I don't think I have any advice on successfully studying. However: Got a 2:1 out of it.
    Cookie given from: DK

Cowl Squad - Caber Division Tactical Medic Removal Ltd. "We Caber give a toss"

Cowmugger.ps: maybe I'll kill less babies
    Cowmugger.ps: don't quote me on that

Trustworthy

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Before an exam - usually evening before. However I remember a lot from the lectures and my friends often spam me with requests to explain something to them a few days before exam, so I often don't have that much to repeat...

Starting is harder the older I am... Nowadays I think I often try do do everything else as early as possible (like some chores and entertainment) so at night I have literally nothing to do but study (well, excluding sleeping). I usually have to entertain myself before studying - about 2 hours of pleasant gaming experience helps
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Nuttmegger
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Equinoxo View Post
    Pro tip: Do not start writing a dissertation at 2am on the morning you need to hand it in with no planning, notes, or reference while getting progressively more and more drunk on whisky. You will probably not pass that dissertation.

Other than that, I don't think I have any advice on successfully studying. However: Got a 2:1 out of it.
    What. Seriously.

Motto of Final year students.

"Never do tomorrow that which can be done today to avoid working on the dissertation."
    Cookie given from: Sloth.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

If today has become tomorrow, and tomorrow is too late. Then today is the day it must be done.
    Cookie given from: Sloth.ps

Cowl Squad - Caber Division Tactical Medic Removal Ltd. "We Caber give a toss"

Cowmugger.ps: maybe I'll kill less babies
    Cowmugger.ps: don't quote me on that

Trustworthy

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

My advice on studying: Make sure you do some. That's about it really.
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

It's ALWAYS party time!
    Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I have no idea what this "got a 2:1 out of it" thing is.
    Error 404: Sig not found

Nuttmegger
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr.brick View Post
    I have no idea what this "got a 2:1 out of it" thing is.
    Degree classifications: 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, pass. - Basically a 2:1 is a B grade; but bear in mind that at university only pro keen people get 1sts.
    Cookie given from: almightybob.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I work better under contract, i'm a terrible self-motivator. Sometimes i feel i chose the wrong industry to learn skills for because freelance work requires 100% self-discipline.

Dissertations will be unlike any essay you have done before. They will be longer, more in depth and require you to draw some serious conclusions with marks to be found in originality. You will need research not just for the sake of citation, but to actually develop your ideas within the essay so you will need time to think about the research you've made. So you're gonna need a couple weeks to soak in all the information, write a draft and then hone it. Reaching the word limit isn't the hard part, it's cutting out the waffle in an effort to be concise and get the most marks.

I did an Art & Design course so i'm not sure how much the researching methods differ to academic subjects. Research has always been a stable part of A&D since Key Stage 3 (British school years 7 and up), but with Science you don't really start citing work until your final project at college, 7 years later. At least this was my experience doing both Art, Design, Geology and Physics all the way to A level.

I find the hardest part about studying is the very start. Sometimes you just don't know where to start. It's difficult finding the right search criteria to begin making headway. Often there will be academic terms unknown to you that will open up a whole field of work. I had problems researching for some art projects because the terminology used by our tutors in our briefs differed from what was written in published work. Sometimes i'd come across a job title or process title after 3 hours of searching recommended materials, look up what it is, use that as my new search criteria and suddenly i'll find 50 books filled to the brim with relevant content. So starting ASAP gives you the time to waste before you find that eurika moment. Once you've passed that threshold it all becomes interesting and self-sustaining.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

No one on my course has got a 1st in the last 5 years (not even our most keen) at least and I do not know before that it could be longer. The best 30%ish get a 2:1. So study forever and hope for a 2:1 is the plan because all the grad schemes need at least that. Should have done Bsc Colouring in or something!

To start studying I put on something like rainymood and sign out of steam. Being on the Uni library PCs help also to limit the distractions from all my games.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

The most important part of study is to find the method that works for you, sadly I found out the method that works for me in my final year of university. A friend of mine will literally just read his notes the night before and ace the exam, close enough to a photographic memory (bastard). I have to go through all the notes and lectures I've got down and condense them into a couple pages for each lecture, condense those down to a page, then to a paragraph until I have about 2 or 3 pages of bullet points of things as my stuff to read just before I go into the exam. They serve as mental cue cards for me as I'd spent the last few days condensing the notes I can fill in the gaps.

That may work for you, it may not. But you have to play around with different methods to see what makes things really stick.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

My Technology Design GCSE teacher called me the morning of the day I had to hand my paper part in for assessment, which promptly made me scribble the fastest written project of my life. I ended up with a B.
    3 People have given a Cookie to Sn0w: AngryPotato, Hawk.ps, mr.brick

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam Bot 700
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

In the Netherlands at my university you get 3 tries to pass a course (and then get infinite more tries if you ask for it, but the main problem being that you can only try 2 times each year...)
    This worked for me for most courses:
    1. Start thinking about test day before test
    2. Read about your test after dinner
    3. Get bored doing so
    4. Do other things
    5. Set alarm early to read more about exam because you failed to do so evening before exam
    6. Fail waking up at early alarm
    7. Rush to uni
    8. Try to pass
    9. If you fail start at 1.

For my thesis the meetings with the Professor every 4 weeks were very good for the progress (and setting a graduation date while I didn't have all results yet)

In the end I will complete my masters in februari taking just 7.5 years for a 5 year masters
    You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public...

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Manage to cram a ~1 year piece of AS ICT coursework into 3 weeks of frantic designing and coding. Scraped a B for that module I think..

Neox - Norse warrior god with the skills and tenacity of a dead wombat.

Registered Member
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Study for the exam the night before, hate my self, then end up with 73%. However, it's not a good idea
    Just busting chops XD :clap: