Thread: Learning Java Script, I think

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Learning Java Script, I think

Hey guys, for a lot of the jobs i am currently applying for a knowledge of different types of script is favored. I had no idea where to start.

Cue: Google.

Found a website called www.codecademy.com which i am currently working my way through. There is a free java script tutorial for people with no experience using any type of coding before. I have been on it for about an hour so far and having a great time!

For all you coding experts out there are there any other tips you can give us coding nubs with regards to getting into it?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: Learning Java Script, I think

When you say the jobs you are looking for favour types of script, what kind of languages do you mean?

and yeah codeacademy has been recommended on here a few times now, it's a good site
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

"Key Skills: ArcGIS Server,PHP/Javascript/Java/JSP web development, Oracle Spatial, C#, Python, Delphi"
    So i have a background in ArcGIS but many companies want some experience with some of those other languages too. I have zero idea what they all are so just started with the one i recognised and see how it goes from there. I must admit, im really enjoying the Javascript so far!

Based on the findings of the report, my conclusion was that this idea was not a practical deterrent for reasons which at this moment must be all too obvious. palm pilot's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

got this link from someones twitter feed, not sure who :/ but a good resource all the same, so kudos to that person

http://jsbooks.revolunet.com/

also I found this too

http://jquer.in/

maybe helpful
    Cookie given from: Vox
    /*/
    /*/*/*/You sir, are a swaggering addlepated jackanapes!
    /*/

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

This is always handy too:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...ript/Reference

Edit: also avoid W3schools

Edit Edit: also if you are doing web dev with JS, then this is useful too: http://jsbin.com/welcome/1/edit

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Also as a little aside, if you are learning a new language just to improve the look of your CV, it's worth noting that JS isn't going to add as much as some of the other languages would, such as C#, PHP or Java. Javascript, to a lot of employers, simply says 'knows basic web development' whereas the other listed languages tend to be more impressive.
    It's not necessarily correct that Javascript is less useful or even effective than other languages, but it is perceived as primarily a basic web development tool(despite its use in many other non-web applications).
    2 People have given a Cookie to 3agle: grom.ps, Vox

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by 3agle View Post
    Also as a little aside, if you are learning a new language just to improve the look of your CV, it's worth noting that JS isn't going to add as much as some of the other languages would, such as C#, PHP or Java. Javascript, to a lot of employers, simply says 'knows basic web development' whereas the other listed languages tend to be more impressive.
    It's not necessarily correct that Javascript is less useful or even effective than other languages, but it is perceived as primarily a basic web development tool(despite its use in many other non-web applications).
    It just seemed like the easiest one to start with. I plan on learning other ones once i finish the codecademy javascript one. Thanks for all the help guys!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Yeah it's absolutely a great place to start, just thought it worth noting that because of that fact some employers don't see it on equal footing with some of those other languages listed

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Python: Modern/Up-to-date, Easy, CV-able

or Ruby/Ruby on Rails, lots of places look for that in their required experience, although I've yet to do any of it myself.

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Phantom View Post
    "Key Skills: ArcGIS Server,PHP/Javascript/Java/JSP web development, Oracle Spatial, C#, Python, Delphi"
    So i have a background in ArcGIS but many companies want some experience with some of those other languages too. I have zero idea what they all are so just started with the one i recognised and see how it goes from there. I must admit, im really enjoying the Javascript so far!
    I don't know much, so just putting my 2 cents in, probably not worth too much...
    As far as I know Oracle is usually connected with quite boring stuff, like databases - my brother deals with it a lot in bank, establishing some reports (and that's why I heard of it). Unless you're ok with a bit boring tasks, I'd advise you to learn the other ones first, IMO they're more versatile...
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

It all depends upon what the overall job requirement is - rather than looking at a list of "skills to have" - try to look at what the job is about. To be fair, I think you'd be far better served getting a deep understanding of one decent language. You'll find it easier to pick up the others then, rather than a small glimpse into each which will serve zero purpose and be a waste of time. Supposedly on my CV I could put that I know python, Haskell, JavaScript, php, Java, c, c#, c++, lisp, prolog and even assembly language. Reality is - if you ask me to write code and then compile and execute it during an interview - I could certainly do it for Java, PHP and Javascript - but after that... I wouldn't know where to start (despite the fact I have written basic programs in each of them, and quite a bit with Lisp!).

So having a good knowledge of a programming language gives you skills that enable to you transfer language without too much difficulty and a basic book.

Javascript is fine to start, but after you've got a bit of a handle on that - I'd suggest Java... and not just "okay, I can write hello world and know how to use several libraries so I can now add that to my CV" - but actually really learn it. They aren't going to be asking you to do something trivial if they want you to know languages. You'll have responsibility to aid or develop an application. Expect months of learning!
    Cookie given from: MacNetron.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

For the record, I hate Java, but what do I know, my introduction to programming was ActionScript.

Some languages have great tie-ins with other languages, but are limited by their field. I know that sentence didn't make a great deal of sense, but stick with me. If you're going to learn JavaScript, great, that'll probably lead you on to html, php, mysql, css and all that good web dev stuff, I find all this stuff a lot of fun because once you learn a little you can do a lot in a short amount of time. If it's database stuff you're looking into, if you learn mysql, all the sql types versions are similar (Postgre, Oracle, SQLServer, etc). But that's if you're interested in web development work or possibly databases.

For software, I'll put another vote towards Python - it's what I started learning proper programming with and it was a forgiving, fun and versatile language. There's quite a bit to be said for VB.NET, that's quite nice to pick up and a good introduction to OOP - I currently work in SQL and VB.Net and it's not a bad place to be. If you learn VB and get comfortable with it, you can transfer quite nicely to a C language without getting too confused. As I remember each time this kinda topic comes up I'll reply for Jimbomcb as well - he started with LUA - it's a nice language and not too dissimilar to Python quite simple and not too much of a headfuck for beginners.

But yes, as languages go, I've enjoyed all of them except Java. I would say Ruby as well, but I may have just been following a poor tutorial. Both of those languages seem really unintuitive to me.
    Cookie given from: MacNetron.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

For script language, go JavaScript (with JQuery) and/or Python.

As a Java developer, I just want to say: Java != JavaScript
    You are not stuck on Java after learning JavaScript. It was just marketing (Netscape and Sun) that gave the name JavaScript to that language. Unfortunately, as every sales person in my company thinks I am an expert on JavaScript...

Based on the findings of the report, my conclusion was that this idea was not a practical deterrent for reasons which at this moment must be all too obvious. palm pilot's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Last edited by palm pilot; 02-10-2012 at 23:48.
    /*/
    /*/*/*/You sir, are a swaggering addlepated jackanapes!
    /*/

It's ALWAYS party time!
    Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by 3agle View Post
    Edit: also avoid W3schools
    I tried getting into coding a while back (didn't really work out, maybe with this thread it could work, who knows?) and I found w3schools a pretty decent website. I'm just wondering why I should've avoided it.
    Error 404: Sig not found

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Well there are a few reasons, but unreliability and a dodgy attitude towards misconceptions of official affiliations are the main ones (they actually have nothing to do with W3C for instance, and refuse flat out to mention this on their site).

This site outlines it rather well: http://w3fools.com/
    Cookie given from: Apoc.ps