So I'm tired of gaming on a laptop since I came to uni (and crappy spec computers before then). I'm looking into building myself a new rig that's relatively future-proof. I'm thinking a ceiling of £900-£1000, if not lower - and it has to include a monitor. I'm sure I can scramble a couple of quid for a semi-alright keyboard and mouse, too, so that's not a problem. I'm skipping out on a dedi soundcard unless I end up having a decent excess at the end and I find a cheap one. Basically, here's my build so far:
Things to note:
- optical drive is just off the top, some cheapy £13 thing that'll just about do the job.
- this is a newer build list that has the FX-8120 instead of the i5-2500k.
- this has a 7870 (PCI-E 3.0 [futureproofin', sorta]), which is still a maybe. i could swap this out for a 6970 and save £40+, or £60+ if I go to a 7850 or a 570.
- prices might end up going down if i find the same or similar item on another website for less, i won't be sticking to just dabs.
- this will be 90% used just for gaming, ngl. that's why i want it to last, hence investment. every card i'm looking at is going to be able of running most modern games on ultra, and i'd like 'high' for a good while yet.
- that monitor was just thrown in for budget's sake - i'm looking at that sort of price - without a massive amount of stress on size over response time etc., but i don't know a huge amount about monitors and what to look for.
so, basically, thoughts on:
- build in general
- FX-8120 vs i5.2500k (having 8 cores vs. overclocking like a mothaphuqa, and it's actually cheaper than a 2500k. baring in mind the whole 8-cores thing is more of a future-proofing thing than genuinely thinking i'll always be using all 8 cores for everything ever ever for all time ever forever)
- 7870 vs 7850 vs 570 vs 6970 (prices and performance)
- what to look for in a good-quality fast-response monitor at a reasonable size (21"ish+-)
i'll be spending some of the rest of the money on games to kit this out with to spend my time on before my placement starts in july >_>