Thread: How easy is it to make an item for TF2 ? I had an idea!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

How easy is it to make an item for TF2 ? I had an idea!

How easy is it to make an item for TF2 ? Would anyone be willing to help me with an idea as I have no idea on modeling etc.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: How easy is it to make an item for TF2 ? I had an idea!

As far as I am aware, as long as someone is capable of Modeling and importing into TF2, it's really not that hard. But those two things are fairly difficult.
    Cookie given from: Sn0w.ps

^^^click here!^^^

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

The importing into TF2 part of it is NEVER easy, but I can do it (although I've only ever had success with static meshes). As a modeller, I would certainly be willing to help out, but my schedule is choc-full for the next few weeks as I'm at the arse end of a degree and have a backlog of other projects I've been putting off.
    This does not mean that discussion can not take place!
    Cowl Squad - Caber Division Tactical Medic Removal Ltd. "We Caber give a toss"

Cowmugger.ps: maybe I'll kill less babies
    Cowmugger.ps: don't quote me on that

Trustworthy

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

www.blender.org : best free 3d modeling tool

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Download blender. Start modelling. Post problems here. Get help. Complete prototype. Feel satisfied. Win. Dreams realised - skills learned Everything is easy if you put the time in
    3 People have given a Cookie to Logan: DJive.ps, MacNetron.ps, Sn0w.ps
    Twitter @Logan_ps - Twitch.tv Logan

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Download blender. Start modelling. Post problems here. Get help. Complete prototype. Feel satisfied. Win. Dreams realised - skills learned Everything is easy if you put the time in
    More like everything is possible. I'm still not sure I'd call modeling easy. XD

The extent of my modeling was in Lightwave in Middle School when I was about 15 years old. I remember making this silly animation of a brown paper bag dancing for my film crew's production tag. I can't remember our exact name, but it was something like "In The Bag Productions." I wish I could find it somewhere.

/random.

^^^click here!^^^

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I'm certain you wouldn't call modelling easy. You've not put enough time into it

*snip* overtired temptation to randomly type gibberish satisfied. Gibberish deleted. Mostly.
    Last edited by Logan; 26-04-2012 at 10:28.
    Twitter @Logan_ps - Twitch.tv Logan

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I'm certain you wouldn't call modelling easy. You've not put enough time into it

*snip* overtired temptation to randomly type gibberish satisfied. Gibberish deleted. Mostly.
    Randomly typing gibberish is the best part of being slightly exhausted!

^^^click here!^^^

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

If you're really going into modelling stuff for TF2, Polycount forum is a great place to ask for anything - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69164
    There are also some tutorials there (for example very helpful texturing advice from Swizzle). You can surely get some professional crits/advice there. However, I highly doubt you'd find someone eager to model something for you - I'm regularly checking the thread I linked to, and shout-outs like "I got an idea, who wants to model it?" are often ignored Not always, but you know, most of the people capable of modelling anything good are already quite busy, having more ideas than they can process.

Also... Unfortunately I don't see too many "well known" modellers (whose items got into game or at least they got high notes in Workshop) on Playstuff servers, if I remember correctly I have seen Ritz a few times (Pyromancer's Mask author) but I've recently seen some nice item done by some modeller and theharribokid - and I guess theharribokid was mainly the "concept side" of that team. You might want to contact him as he's got an account here, on Playstuff... http://playstuff.net/member.php/249-theharribokid
    Last edited by AngryPotato; 26-04-2012 at 17:45.
    2 People have given a Cookie to AngryPotato: MacNetron.ps, Sn0w.ps
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Kids + full time employment mean that if you want to learn a skill like this then you have to be prepared to sink all of your free time into it for months. I'm not saying it's not possible mind, only that it's hard.

I've been wanting to learn modelling for years but I've literally only scratched the surface as I simply can't find the time to learn it properly.

This is why I bug Equi to model stuff. :3
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I think the idea itself is very good, its just whether it can get put into the game. Tbh I know I don't have the skills to do it myself and I feel the idea needs someone with more experiance to help out, Equi has shown alot of interest so hopefully we can get soemthing going with it I will share it more openly on the forum at a later date as I dont know what exactly to do with the item just yet. I suppose if we can get a working model of it put together we could then try and push valve to include it at some point or at least consider/review it.

PS: If anyone wants a brief of the idea pm me. I dont mind sharing witht he community just more worried another community etc get hold of it and decide to push it.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by almightybob View Post
    Cheers, breifly read it through and now gives a me a clear sense of what needs to be done and in what order. Hopefully this idea may just become a reality.