Thread: Kickstarter (or similar)

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Kickstarter (or similar)

I know a lot of you are poor students but I wondered if anyone else has backed projects on Kickstarter or similar sites.

I've done a few so far and here's my round-up;

• Frankenkindle on indiegogo (just a straight donation as the guy is doing some awesome work on hacking devices so they can be used by physically disabled people - a pet interest of mine)
    • ERF - a kids book by Garth Ennis
    • God Help The Girl - a film by Stuart Murdoch out of off of Belle and Sebastian
    • Matter - a journalism idea, both of the people involved are geek/tech journalists who I've had dealings with in the past and respect - should be interesting hopefully.

and although it's got 10x the funding needed, I'm still tempted to sign up for the digital version of the Diesel Sweeties book and don't forget the ridiculously popular Tim Schaffer Double Fine Adventure game

So... anyone else funding anything or seen anything interesting?

I should point out that my average is only about $25-$35 so around the 20 mark - nothing I wouldn't spend on a night in the pub but you can usually go lower and still get a decent benefit.
    Cookie given from: palm pilot
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Based on the findings of the report, my conclusion was that this idea was not a practical deterrent for reasons which at this moment must be all too obvious. palm pilot's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: Kickstarter (or similar)

Frankenkindle, superb idea

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I've backed Orion: Prelude a while back, not much, only $10.

It's a good idea though and I can see it really taking off in terms of indie game development projects as we have seen already.
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I haven't backed anything (although I'd often wish to - but I hardly manipulate cash in the Internet, also most offers are too expensive - mainly because being in $, or €, while I use different currency. If you add shipping costs to Poland, you often get huge prices...) but I've recently observed one of my favourite comic's kickstarter - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-reprint-drive (Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew). I think it's really unexpected to have such a result - after all, it's just a "let's reprint these books" project, with an initial aim of about 50k$ ending at above 1 million... A bit surreal, but as a fan I'm glad and hope it will have good impact on the comic
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Unapologetically apologetic, sorry Jeeva's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I've backed a few small things - Schuyler Townes Pick set, for one, as I got into picking a while ago, and of course the delightful Double Fine project. I'm sure there was a third, but I can't remember it for the life of me. Will find out and add links shortly.
    Cookie given from: grom.ps

Unreformed Convict SleeperService's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Gave to this what-did-you-expect-the-archers-of-loaf-live-conce they filmed it at the gig I went to in the states last year

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

For any original watchers of The Show out there, hello Sports Racers.

Cookie given from: grom.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I felt this was more relevant to this thread,

I really hope this recent trend of games being funded through kickstarter by the fans themselves continues.
    This, along with the way Desura is helping you fund alpha games directly, and digital distribution is the accepted norm for games, means games development is getting so much more open, it's fantastic.
    This makes me very excited about the future of games development
    2 People have given a Cookie to 3agle: grom.ps, The Sero.ps
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Billionaire Extraordinaire Two monkeys from a Tzu.'s Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I haven't done much in the way of kickstarter for most of the reasons Angry mentioned with the additional hassle of having stuff stuck in customs, I buy a lot of hard to find used books from overseas and if my order is over a certain amount or they get the impression it is worth something I have to drive 30 km to the next customs office (I haven't had to pay anything for books yet but gas prices and time add up).

Recently I chipped in a few pounds to save the bugle podcast after they got kicked to the curb by the evil empire. But the only reward coming from that (beside the continued existence of the podcast) came from pretending my contribution came from Ghadaffis former busty (well she probably is still busty) bulgarian nurse.

Btw Angry I'm also a fan of OotS. I have the 2 print only prequel books, the collected strips are a bit too pricey for me at the moment.

Edit: I just double checked my Ghaddafi nurse history and found out that not only was she not bulgarian (instead she came from the ukraine) but also there were several of them. I fear I made a fool of myself.
    Last edited by grom; 14-03-2012 at 16:50. Reason: cookies for bulgaria!
    4 People have given a Cookie to Two monkeys from a Tzu.: AngryPotato, grom.ps, Seric.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

A fellow bugler! Gotta have dem puns.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I'm quite tempted by the EIMIM pen as I do love a good pen.

Also recently backed the ubiquitous Amanda Palmer album as I like her music and her attitude.

Also backed the Dr McNinja game (I think I was either drunk or feeling sympathetic or didn't think it would get made

and finally the forthcoming Ben Folds Five album . I've discovered that I am happy to pay more money for music when I know it's going directly to the artist.
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter