Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best TF2 settings

Playstuff Member .ps Dances With Playstuff's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Best TF2 settings

Hey guys,

a lot of you here are playing on a much more "professional" (or maybe less amateur is better worded) level than I ever did. And while I have undeniable skill , I never was one to look for configs or any console commands that might improve my performance.

I noticed on for example mr.brick's screenshots that his FOV seems to be quite high, for example. I'm not sure if this is his own personal preference or something that people do to see more (?). I did notice that a bunch of heavies noticed me uncloaking in an angle I thought would be concealed to them!

So, if everyone can share their tips on how to set up TF2, perhaps any tricks within the advanced settings etc that can help not just me but anyone else who's playing pretty much "vanilla", that'd be nice.

Danke, dummkopf!

Panics when ubered & Excessively Generous Tstrike's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: Best TF2 settings

Vanilla all the way
    Cookie given from: grom.ps

It's ALWAYS party time!
    Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

you can turn FOV up all the way to 90 which makes you see a bit more i think. to do this you go to options>video>advanced and turn it up to 90. hope that helped.

PS how did you notice my FOV is at max?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Easy, You can see more!
    Also the higher you go the thinner stuff gets I think.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I noticed in one of your screenshots that your Spy arm is much longer and thinner than how it looks on my screen, like you actually see more of it than I do.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Regarding FoV: The higher you set it, the more you can see, but equally the smaller things will be onscreen. Something between 90 and 120 should be OK, set it where you feel comfortable.
    Also note that FoV and weaponmodel FoV are different. Changing weaponmodel FoV really does nothing, it's purely cosmetic.

I use the CommFT HUD, which I think helps because IMO the important things are much easier to see clearly. Basically your health and ammo are huge and uncluttered, and it shows you exact health on your teammates, buildings etc which is nice.

I have hitbeeps on, damage indicators on and I edited the damage indicators to be big and yellow instead of medium and red.

You can see my HUD and damage indicators in this video, but I started using hitbeeps after that.

I also have Medic autocalls on below 50% and the medic arrow over who I'm healing, but not continuous heal - I tried that and didn't like it.
    I have Spy last disguise bound to Shift rather than B because I used to keep accidentally taunting when I tried to reach over for B. Shift is much easier.
    Also I have autoreload on which everyone should because there's no downside.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Doesn't autoreload automatically reload when you shoot a soldier rocket though, which might prevent you from shooting another mid-reload? I also have hitbeeps on (though it can be annoying as pyro), how would I go about modding the damage indicators? I saw those on a video of you playing in the Pubs vs Pros and liked them.

Edit: just noticed that's the same video you just posted that I saw

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Reloads an be cancelled

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

hitbeeps as pyro make me think I'm 15 playing pinball in the pub again - multiball FTW!
    3 People have given a Cookie to grom: Boylee.ps, DK, Jeeva
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tstrike View Post
    Vanilla all the way
    This all day long

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

My only game changing bind is 'o' is bound to 'explode'.

I do however use damage indicators, they make understanding how much damage you've done much easier.

Seriously though, the single best way to succeed in TF2 is to do everything you can to encourage teamplay. First and foremost, get a mic and use it to communicate with others.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dances With Playstuff View Post
    Doesn't autoreload automatically reload when you shoot a soldier rocket though, which might prevent you from shooting another mid-reload?
    No, if you want to fire again it fires instantly, it just cancels the reload you were doing.
    I also have hitbeeps on (though it can be annoying as pyro)
    Yeah that can be annoying. It's probably a good way to get tinnitus though
    how would I go about modding the damage indicators? I saw those on a video of you playing in the Pubs vs Pros and liked them.
    Nuttmegger wrote a helpful guide about it here, it should tell you how to do them, although an edited HudDamageAccount.res is actually included in the Community HUD - something I only just realised myself
    Last edited by almightybob; 11-08-2011 at 17:04.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Boylee View Post
    Seriously though, the single best way to succeed in TF2 is to do everything you can to encourage teamplay. First and foremost, get a mic and use it to communicate with others.
    I agree and I do have a mic, but my roommates would kill me though I did just move into a new room in the condo so I might be able to use it again. I tend to yell out in fake rage and frustration a lot

@almightybob:

Thanks! I'll look into changing the damage indicators.
    Last edited by almightybob; 11-08-2011 at 17:04. Reason: for thanks
    Cookie given from: almightybob.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Mics are a funny thing - if no-one is talking on the server, try saying two or three things - anything as long as it's relevant to the game. You'll notice that pretty quickly people start talking a little bit then a little bit more and more often than not, your team will start winning. It's amazing how quickly you can turn a losing streak around just by having someone tell you that the spy is a pyro etc.
    Cookie given from: Logan.ps
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I've messed around with configs and setting quite a lot in tf2, a lot of stuff is just personal preference, but there are a few things which could help you in game (most of them already mentioned).

Fast weapon switching - gets rid of the boxes you get when changing weapons and allows you to change in one button press rather than two.
    Field of view - default 75, max 90. There's pretty much no reason not to set it at 90 as it allows you to see more. Might feel awkward if you're used to default, but you should get used to it.
    Autoreload - simple enough, only times this can be bad is with the FaN, where it can waste ammo, or with the spy's revolver, as the viewmodel takes up half of the screen when reloading.
    Damage numbers - Help you know if you should run away after missing shots or chase down a low health player. You can customise how they look and make it so that they appear either above the enemy or on your HUD or both.
    Hit beeps- similar to damage numbers. 100% accurate, as opposed to the in-game effects. Very useful for projectile classes when spamming around corners. Can be annoying with flamethrowers or miniguns, but can customise the sound or you can turn it off with certain weapons/classes.
    Custom HUD - Largely personal preference, but they almost all have helpful features like exact health numbers/uber percentages. Most useful as medic. Pick which one you think looks best. I recommend broesel, community or oxide.
    FPS config - helps your game run better/smoother and gets rid of visual clutter. There are different levels depending on how good/bad your computer is. http://fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/configs/

There are some things you might want to mess around with to find what's most comfortable for you: custom crosshairs, viewmodel fov/hidden viewmodels, autoheal, net settings, mouse sensitivity/acceleration.

I can go into detail on any of these if you want.
    Backburner - putting the lame in flame since 2008

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Personally, I use no scripts, no mods. I also have the damage indicators and beeps turned off, no autoreload. After a long time I decided to enable auto-healing (so I don't need to hold the button) and found it very comfortable. I haven't changed much my fov seetings (somewhere in the half of ingame bar, probably around 80) nor the view model settings and everything works fine for me Just make sure to have convenient keybinds, don't be afraid to change the defaults.
    If you want to know how I play, then try RMB as jump, SPACE as crouch, Q and E for prev and next weapon, CTRL for voice communication etc.
    The only thing I miss is direct amount of teammate's HP in HUD instead of the standard cross, but I don't feel like changing HUD just for that one thing, I can live with it.
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by grom View Post
    hitbeeps as pyro make me think I'm 15 playing pinball in the pub again - multiball FTW!
    3 People have given a Cookie to jim: grom.ps, Seric.ps, Tstrike.ps

It's ALWAYS party time!
    Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

your hitbeeps sound very different to mine...

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Jim doesn't always play with hit sounds on, but when he does he plays permanently uberred pyro with custom sounds.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I use FrankenHud. I find it much more aesthetically pleasing than Community Hud.

This guide is useful for overall configuration.
    Chris' FPS configs are useful for getting a performance boost, I recommend the DX9Frames.
    TF2mate is a config generator that will do a lot of the above two things really quickly. It's worth checking out, but it may change too many things if you're new to customising.

I recommend everyone try out FrankenHud. It has some nice optional files with it too, which I use to get nice clean screenshots.
    Last edited by Boylee; 13-08-2011 at 13:33.
    Cookie given from: Boylee.ps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast