Thread: cp_frozen

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

cp_frozen

Hello again playstuff!

My name is fr0z3n, some of you may know me, either from TF2Maps.net, my map arena_backlot or from stalking around your servers...

Anyways, this is my new project, cp_frozen. It was originally made for the 72hr contest (won Preliminary voting AND recieved 1st place in the contest!), (its a complete 3 stage control point A/D map... I was burned out by the end of the 72 hrs) and since its playing better than I expected, I'm going to continue on working on it. Some of you have played it, some of you may not have. If you have, please leave feedback (see below)... if you haven't, I think you should because apparently it's fun (go figure )

Here is the TF2Maps.net development thread.
    And the link to download the Current version (a2)

Backstory of the map: Red is up to something diabolical again, and frankly, blu isn't happy. Blu must capture the control points to shut down the wind-turbines powering red's base, and their diabolical device (patent pending).

Pictures (not the best):

(In Order: Point 1-2, 2-1, transition between 2-1 and 2-2, and the final point)

So, I've done a lot to stage 2. and did some tweeks to stage 1. I'm looking for feedback about the distance of 1-1 relative to blu spawn, how Stage 2 plays overall, and what do you think I should do about stage 3. (yea, very specific, eh?)

Thanks playstuff for all that you do to help community mappers and keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Fr0z3n; 20-07-2011 at 15:47.
    5 People have given a Cookie to Fr0z3n: almightybob.ps, grom.ps, Logan.ps, MacNetron.ps, yyler

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: cp_frozen

Nice one, I look forward to trying it out
    Cookie given from: Fr0z3n

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Sorry, I don't have much to say. It was quite nice when we played it, but stages 1 and 2 went so quickly that I hardly remember them - maybe too easy to cap (or maybe we had unbalanced teams...). That "wooden" Control Point seen on last screen (if you had time, it would be helpful if you made and put in order screenshots from every CP) was very hard to defend, even with a lvl 3 sentry - too little cover and easy to flank. Also, I remember someone saying that capture time was too short (Boylee?).
    Last point was nice, probably a bit chokey and easy to spam, but it played well imo (we managed to capture it as BLU and defend it as RED as well).
    As you said, first stages could use some work. However, it's already a nice map.

Oh, I liked the ramp made of car covered by snow
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Hey ho and hurrah for the cp_frozen dev-thread here!
    The current version seems to be the one you submitted near the end of the 72 hours, it is already at the maplab and in the rotation!
    As AngryPotato already said, some stages went pretty fast but that is not that strange on new maps that nobody have played yet.
    Shall see if I can find the demo of that run somewhere....

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Hey fr0z3n thanks for posting, we'll keep testing this out, it's staying in the maplab rotation for a while, we're slowly whittling the rotation down to our favourites from the contest. Pleased to say this will most likely be in the streamlined rotation, layout needs a little refinement but the proportioning and flow seems good and has potential to be an nicely rounded map. More playtesting will obv. yield more feedback.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Thanks Boylee and Mac.

Yea, I have heard a lot of feedback about the size, either its too small, or its just the right size. At the moment, it seems that when people start playing the map for the first time it goes pretty quick mainly because people are still learning the layout. From the matches I've been in, a full round (as in, to stage 3 cp 2) takes ~15 minutes, which to me doesn't seem short. As you guys play it, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say. As Boylee pointed out, there is a bit of layout refinement I need to do and am aware of (couple of hallway heights, spawn door locations, etc), but I'm going to slowly detail some of the parts I know are okay.

I'm glad to hear that you guys enjoy it! And I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on the changes/screenshots.

Also, I've arranged the pictures so that they are in order of appearance in game.
    Cookie given from: Logan.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Here is some WiP shots of the next version... been doing some work (God I hate displacements). Displacements are still rough in some places.... but here is some shots of the newish area between CP1 and 2 in Stage 2.

You can see some of the other changes I've made so far...

I still have things I want/need to do before the next version, but thats okay because I won't be releasing the updated version until AFTER the contest (Or if I don't make it past the prelim voting)

Tell me whatcha think.
    Last edited by Boylee; 06-07-2011 at 11:09.
    3 People have given a Cookie to Fr0z3n: Boylee.ps, grom.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Woo! First Place!

This map got 1st place in TF2Maps.net 72hr Mapping contest!

Now that the 72hr Contest's Final Round of voting is done (woo hoo I won!), I can freely post my map without risk of shunning or stoneing. Its been a while, and I've been really anxious to release this version because I made a lot of changes based off the ~15 times the map had been played, and I really think that the changes make the map not only more balanced (and stable) but also more fun for everyone.

tl;dr: I changed stuff

Official and complete change log:
    - **Made the area between blu spawn and 1-1 wider
    - Raised the roof on the building flank connected to blu spawn
    - Adjusted the angles of the wind turbines to face the proper direction in the wind.
    - Assorted lighting effects changed across the map
    - **Made the flank entrance onto 1-2 more visible
    - Added a health and ammo pack to make aforementioned flank more appealing
    - No built a boulder
    - Adjusted the large building flank's exit to be larger and have a roof.
    - Moved/Adjusted Health packs across the map
    - Raised the wall on 1-2 that is between reds exit way and the point (To lessen the pre-emptive demo spam)
    - Fixed some weird brushes
    - Fixed some odd clipping
    - **Added a new route between 2-1 and 2-2
    - Plugged holes in fences
    - Block bulleted tiny holes
    - I think I fixed the whole in S3 blu spawn set up gates...
    - Fixed a silly looking roof.
    - made stairs look nicer
    - **Made 2-2 a bit more open, moved reds entry into the area back
    - Sorry, it still snows indoors, put a coat on.
    - Moved some ammo/health around between 3-1 and 3-2.
    - **3-2 is still the same, going to probably do individual tests on this later whilst detailing stage 1
    - Detailed some places because I was bored (mainly around 2-1)
    ~and added a couple custom signs
    - Pricked my finger on a needle whilst sewing some seams up.

A lot of the major and easily noticed changes are in stage 2. Most of the feedback was pointing at that, so I started there. Stage 1 has some minor changes, but should be pretty significant on gameplay. Stage 3 I originally had planned to change a little, but opted out at the last minute. I will run stage 3 as an indivdual map later to test out its kinks.

Hope you enjoy it, please leave feedback. Thanks in advance.

Download now!

I'd also like to add a big thanks to you guys, for the feedback thus far, a demo of you guys playing it, and a few votes here and there. Thanks!
    4 People have given a Cookie to Fr0z3n: Boylee.ps, grom.ps, Logan.ps, yyler

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

cp_frozen_a2 DL

Alright, so I wanted to start "fleshing" out the map, give it more of the architectural feeling that I want. I started with stage 1. I won't really explain the compete style of the map that I want, mainly because its constantly in flux in my head (I defiently know that its going to be lumber/mining theme with maybe a dash of gorge?).

Changes include
    -A Long round-about flank route for stage 1
    + It can take you directly to the exit only flank in the side building
    - it is long, and roundabout.
    -Stage 2's left upper route is only accesable by blu, or red demo's, scouts and soldiers
    -Stage 3's spawns are connected
    -Adjust a couple of cap times on the final stage
    -STUFF
    Cookie given from: yyler

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Congrats on winning man, now finish this beast.

I spotted the thread you put up on tf2maps, just wanted to say I'd like to help out with assets for this but won't be able for a little while (real life stuff etc.). If you're still in need of decals and textures in a month or so I'll happily help out.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Boylee View Post
    Congrats on winning man, now finish this beast.

I spotted the thread you put up on tf2maps, just wanted to say I'd like to help out with assets for this but won't be able for a little while (real life stuff etc.). If you're still in need of decals and textures in a month or so I'll happily help out.
    Thanks!
    And yea, the textures I could use. I will probably have a few more than the few I have listed. I have already made a couple of posters for the map, but I can always use more.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

w00t. Huge congrats on your win. Looking forward to playing more.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I realized that I hadn't updated this thread often, so I thought I'd toss out an update for the map...

The map is currently in pieces, as in, its in multiple stages and I'm having them tested individually. Stage 1 is currently down and stage 2 is now being tested. I'll be working on a new final for stage 3, keeping with the current layout, but making it look/seem more menacing. Probably going to involve a drill.

Here is the tf2maps.net dev thread
    Last edited by Boylee; 25-09-2011 at 22:29. Reason: cookies
    2 People have given a Cookie to Fr0z3n: Boylee.ps, MacNetron.ps