Thread: cp_threewave - Developer: MaDsPLoiTz

Playstuff Member .ps MaDsPLoiTz's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

cp_threewave - Developer: Madsploitz

This map is based on a layout I have experienced multiple times across multiple games before, but not yet in TF2, so I'm recreating myself, of course changing it for TF2 game balance as necessary.

Working on cubemaps, lighting, and some other small fixes that will go into _a3

cp_threewave_a2

_a1: First playable version
    _a2: Changed banners for PlayStuff.net

Thanks to:
    PlayPortal.net
    PlayStuff.net
    ColtsPlayground.net
    TF2maps.net
    Overload
    MacNetron
    Half-Life_Maniac
    YouMe
    JimboMcb
    Hawk
    WilliamBoo
    Last edited by MaDsPLoiTz; 12-04-2012 at 03:38. Reason: Updated, 3 years on.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    can't wait mate

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Ok, that's cp_threewave_a2 uploaded.

What's the deal with the Maplab now? It's branded as "Colt's Playground" but who is supposed to use it now?

If it's intended for use by PlayStuff then I'd like it if someone could replace cp_threewave_a1 on the server with cp_threewave_a2 so that we can go on and test it sometime. (Hopefully I'll get a few people up for it this weekend so I can get back to work on fixes/changes. )
    I renamed on Steam to 784. Madsploitz is a silly name, and was from absolutely ages ago, so I don't use it anymore.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    aye - i just havent got round to rebranding it......it will be playstuff or maybe playportal - depends whether we think more people would use it in either scenario....still can't decide. Playstuff has the teamplay server - It may be better to make the map lab more 'open' by making it the custom map server for Playportal - all communities and clans having upload access. dunno. any thoughts?

Hopefully someone will upload the map later mate - i'd love to have a run around tonight.
    Last edited by Logan; 18-12-2008 at 15:23.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    I think you could (Regardless of which communities you give access) put PlayPortal in there somewhere, maybe "PlayStuff TF2 MapLab - Hosted by PlayPortal.net" or something that included both names.

Just having PlayPortal on it would separate it from the Teamplay server, which could be bad in terms of getting random people from Teamplay to join MapLab, they'd want to play on the same brand they already enjoy playing on.

I think having both might work better, but if you get other TF2 communities on PlayPortal who want to use it then it might be best to leave it at "PlayPortal TF2 MapLab".

In the end it's up to you, and in either case, it will mostly be used by people who are talking to each other already and inviting each other into the server anyway, the name doesn't matter all that much in that case, so whatever you want to promote would work fine.
    I renamed on Steam to 784. Madsploitz is a silly name, and was from absolutely ages ago, so I don't use it anymore.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    I've looked at the maplabs logs but could not see why we were unable to play it yesterday.
    Downloaded _a2 onto my laptop to play it in my sandbox test server. No problems at all. I can start the map on the dedicated server and then I'm also able to connect to it on TF2 itself. It does have a lot of purple textures, so you've not included those in the bsp. But that may not crash a server.
    I think we should try running _a2 while somebody has a look at the console itself.

Layout seems nice, although I was alone of course.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    mystery to me why it's crashing the server.

Cheers for the 'naming' thoughts Mads - i've remaned it to Playstuff Map Lab | playportal.net - and get the best of both worlds....possibly a bit of traffic for Playportal, and also recognition of the fact that a large proportion of the maps we'll be running have been created by the Playground/now Playstuff community
    Last edited by Logan; 20-12-2008 at 18:07.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNetron View Post
    I've looked at the maplabs logs but could not see why we were unable to play it yesterday.
    Downloaded _a2 onto my laptop to play it in my sandbox test server. No problems at all. I can start the map on the dedicated server and then I'm also able to connect to it on TF2 itself. It does have a lot of purple textures, so you've not included those in the bsp. But that may not crash a server.
    I think we should try running _a2 while somebody has a look at the console itself.

Layout seems nice, although I was alone of course.
    Yeah, sorry about the textures, I just realised that I completely forgot to *PAKRAT* them in when I compiled that file, I'll edit the download link tomorrow, until you get the updated one it might be best to leave the purple-fest off the server...

Colt, no problem at all, and what you've done makes perfect sense to me.

I realise now that I can't edit the title if my threads, could an admin please take the "_a1" out and put "[WIP]" before "- Dev". This way the thread title for the whole time I'm making the map can be "cp_threewave [WIP] - Developer: MaDsPLoiTz". Thank you very much and sorry for being picky but it's going to look like I never update it...
    Last edited by MaDsPLoiTz; 21-12-2008 at 15:27. Reason: PAKRAT!!! What the hell is ratpak, Craig!?

Has a beard now
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    I've never played this, get it sorted matey

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesy View Post
    I've never played this, get it sorted matey
    Will do man, just gonna *PAKRAT* the textures now.

Once I do that I'll take some pictures to post to stay in line with Mac's guidelines... ^^

Edit:
    Agh! I'm so stupid! I wasn't going into advanced editing options, I can edit the thread title in there... Sorry for that, and thank you for changing it for my Jamesy.
    Last edited by MaDsPLoiTz; 21-12-2008 at 15:28. Reason: PAKRAT!!! What the hell is ratpak, Craig!?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Pakrated the textures in.

New download link: cp_threewave_a2

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    I just had a quick run around your map. But I've noticed a few things that you could add/change/improve on.

1. Change the skybox to something other than the default one D: Anything would probably do that's TF2. You can find a list of skyboxes here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w..._materials.gcf

2. You could tighten up some of your brushwork in some places, since you can see a few small gaps here and there. (example)

3. In some places where the players frequently play, you could add some cubemaps, since reflective objects will come up with purple and black squares. example of no cubemaps and an awesome cubemap tutorial.

4. It's super easy to spam grenades in this area.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: cp_threewave - Developer: MaDsPLoiTz

Quote Originally Posted by Colt View Post
    can't wait mate
    Well this is awkward... Three years later, gonna try to get past the first alpha build this time for you mate, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBoo View Post
    I just had a quick run around your map. But I've noticed a few things that you could add/change/improve on.

1. Change the skybox to something other than the default one D: Anything would probably do that's TF2. You can find a list of skyboxes here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w..._materials.gcf

2. You could tighten up some of your brushwork in some places, since you can see a few small gaps here and there. (example)

3. In some places where the players frequently play, you could add some cubemaps, since reflective objects will come up with purple and black squares. example of no cubemaps and an awesome cubemap tutorial.

4. It's super easy to spam grenades in this area.
    Thanks Will, I will get the skybox done soon, I'll keep an eye on the brushwork, and thanks so much for the info on cubemaps, I'll get that done really soon. That area is meant to be very dangerous as it's the more direct, faster route out/in, but I will tweak it to give explosives less of an advantage there, as in your screenshot I noticed they could be spammed in a way I didn't think of, which would be overpowered I think. Thanks so much for your help there Will, taking, editing and uploading pics to show me, wow, very much appreciated!

Anyways, in the most incredible bump ever, I'm bringing this topic back from being the very last one in this forum to start working on this map again, I've got a few changes and basic improvements (cubemaps, lighting, etc) to make, after which I'll post _a3 which hopefully can get some gameplay testing on the Maplab and I can start working on the balancing.
    Last edited by MaDsPLoiTz; 05-09-2011 at 20:30.
    3 People have given a Cookie to MaDsPLoiTz: almightybob.ps, Hawk.ps, MacNetron.ps