Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: Game of Thrones

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3agle View Post
    I don't think you can criticise the casting for margaery as being 28, since she doesn't look it, though yeah, she's not portrayed as being too innocent
    She appears innocent in public, but the later books definitely show that she's very adept at playing the political game. She's a character who becomes very important later on
    Spoiler: Reveal
    when she marries Tommen and becomes Queen
    . This sort of characterisation is kind of needed. After all
    You have to be able to believe that she can best Cersei politically

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

[ATTACH=CONFIG]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/534087_439523956077063_205344452828349_1559576_146 0609317_n.jpg[/ATTACH]
    "We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon on the mount, The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living." - General Omar N.Bradley

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I'll never see Theon Greyjoy in the same light again.

On the up side he did get off his ass and get a job
    The operating costs of salvation are through the roof.

Now even more spooky!
    Spam Prince Vegeta
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Lego intro

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Just catched up a bit, at episode 4 of season 2 now.

Holy shit at the ending of that
    Last.Played

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I picked up the first book today as I had a long train journey and thought I'd see what the fuss is about, about 1/4 through and really enjoying it so far!
    02:24 - Focusknock: why is it that I find you with a moomin avatar unsurprising and fitting
    02:24 - Focusknock: why are you so good as a moomin

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Cookie given from: 3agle.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

It's finally safe to say they've begun straying significantly from the books for what seems to be no reason.

Some of it makes sense (spicing up the Daenerys storyline), but a lot of it I really can't make sense of anymore.

I don't mind changes, Season 1 was flawless. It was true to the books almost line for line, and all the edits-for-tv-purposes made perfect sense.

But the random changes in Season 2 are really starting to get to me...

Spoilers below only applies to the TV episodes, so if you're all caught up at this point, it's safe to read. (No future book/tv spoilers )

ARYA
    I can make my peace with most of these, and the guy playing Jaqen is amazing

BRAN/THEON
    Where's Reek?
    Will be interesting to see how this one plays out over the next couple of episodes.

TYRION
    They're not showing Tyrion's master-plan-siege-defence, instead he's "planning" defences only 2 days before the siege....not very Tyrion.
    Everything else here is probably the best of the lot though, and they might fix the above in the next episode.

JON
    Qhourin gets captured? Jon get's lost/separated...What? Totally messes with a (the?) defining moment in Jon's character development.
    Apparently it will be fixed in a later episode...but it's still messed up.

ROBB
    The Robb/Jeyne/Whatever-her-new-name-is plotline is given waaaaay to much face time,especially when they're trying for 10 episodes again this season.
    Besides, the marriage is supposed to be a rash decision made by teenager with puppy love...not a long-winded scenario (where Robb has ample time to come to his senses!).
    Also, we've yet to see Robb fighting...you'd think he was Tywin the way he's always so clean

CATELYN
    The biggest one for me, making the least sense:
    Catelyn's only reason for freeing Jaime is because she thinks Bran and Rikkon are dead.
    How hard was it for her to gotten a raven while Robb is gone? Can't see any tv-reason why this wasn't done, kind of character breaking...

I mean she had totally betrayed Robb, without a super strong motive for doing so (i.e. the apparent loss of 2 children!!)
    And why aren't they in Riverrun already...wtf?

JAIME
    Jaime would never kill a Lannister...totally unnecessary...they could have just put anybody else in that cell instead of Cleos/Alton/Whoever, it would have been better.
    And why not just beat him bloody? death wasn't required to make the guard come in surely?
    Makes him look like a psychopath...and even more ridiculous that Catelyn bargained with him while NOT stricken with desperation & grief.

/end rant

What do you guys think?
    Cookie given from: Fletch

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Well, bear in mind that I haven't read the books but,

As far as Tyrions siege defence planning, it came across as though he'd been planning for longer than 2 days before, you got the impression he'd been planning ever since the episode before where he found the fire-water stores. I think the fact he was worrying about it 2 days before is just testament to the severity of the situation and Tyrions nature. Of course, I haven't read the books so I don't know if that's how it's meant to be, but it makes sense to me.

For Catelyn, I thought she only knew that Winterfell was taken, she didn't know the boys were dead, in fact, signs pointed towards that they were not dead (even though we as a viewer were being told that they were dead), so her reasons for releasing Jaime were more out of desperation to get a living child back to her given that she had so many in dangerous situations.
    Another reason is that he would have been dead by the end of the night if he had remained in the camp, she released him so he could remain alive, as she knows that's the only way she'd get her girls back.

At least that's how it appeared to me, I haven't read the books and the story has seemed solid to me so far, though obviously I have no idea how it is in relation to the books.

To be honest though, I'm not too bothered, I mean, it'd be nice if it's as accurate as possible, but it's been by far one of the best TV shows ever shown imo so if they need to stray a little to keep that then that's ok to me (though those who read the books may not like that).
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Cool to get a non-book readers perspective

I didn't pick up on the idea that Jaime wouldn't survive the night, which is an argument for her actions,
    but it's pretty weak compared to the motivation from losing two children.

In the show, Catelyn does not hear from Winterfell (that the Bran & Rikkon have been "killed")...but in the book it's her #1 motivating factor for releasing Jaime.
    Presumably, in the next couple of episodes, she'll almost certainly get a raven that Theon "killed" them...so really makes no sense the way they did it, having her not know.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Before I start to watch, how does the book => tv translation go? Does book 1 = season 1? As you've said the first season is close to the book so I think that watching it soon after reading it would be nice.
    02:24 - Focusknock: why is it that I find you with a moomin avatar unsurprising and fitting
    02:24 - Focusknock: why are you so good as a moomin

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Season 1 book to TV is awesome

Follows the books almost exactly. A few changes, but all with good sensible reasons behind them.

For example:
    Stark children are all 3 years older in the TV show than they are in the book.

Initially the master plan was for there to be a 3 year gap between two of his books (2nd & 3rd I think?), when Martin realised the gap wasn't going to work...the first book was already published.
    He couldn't fix the fact that the children would all be 3 years younger than he intended in the latter books. They've applied those kinds of tweaks to the TV show.

Definately watch it when you finish the book
    Cookie given from: Cowmugger

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Cannot wait until next weeks episode looks very good. The only thing slightly bugging me is why only 10 episodes per series? Could they not either make them 20 try squeeze 2 books into one series or make them amybe 12-15 then they don't need to squash quite so much into one episode.
    Cookie given from: Warning Level = Bert

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

fact!

cannot imagine any of the other books being doable in 1 season,

i mean one of the books wasnt even doable in one book
    Cookie given from: Amnesiac

Now even more spooky!
    Spam Prince Vegeta
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Am almost finished with book three, think i'm around page 700 now.
    One thing i just found most strange EDIT: Also in the you'll kill me range if you haven't read book 3 yet:
    Why the hell write arya in a seperate boring story-line for only to die when her story-line becomes slightly interesting.

Also on a slightly less serious note:
    Fuck you, George RR Martin.

And on a more spoiling note, i.e., you'll hate me if you read this spoiler and you haven't read book three yet:
    Got so mad when Rob and his mother died, i really hope joffrey dies an painfull and slow death in the series, or he should get eaten by dragons.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by awesome-o View Post
    One thing i just found most strange EDIT: Also in the you'll kill me range if you haven't read book 3 yet:
    Why the hell write arya in a seperate boring story-line for only to die when her story-line becomes slightly interesting.

And on a more spoiling note, i.e., you'll hate me if you read this spoiler and you haven't read book three yet:
    Got so mad when Rob and his mother died, i really hope joffrey dies an painfull and slow death in the series, or he should get eaten by dragons.
    Arya's interactions with The Hound are probably my favourite part of ASOS. Along with Jaime's chapters.

Also what happened to Robb and Catelyn was just cold

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by awesome-o View Post

If Stark children would stop ignoring their fucking direwolves, bad things wouldn't happen to them as often

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Who's watched this weeks episode?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    Who's watched this weeks episode?
    Got someone refitting the bathroom.

Looking forward to watching it when its quiet