Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: cp_axle

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: cp_axle

Quote Originally Posted by grazr View Post
    The left route is exactly what you need to do. It keeps the highest ground safer from intrusion, giving more of a "base location" for mid defense which will help prevent excessive back-and-forth capping of the middle point. Unless that wasn't a problem with the map to begin with... in which case you should go with one of the extra routes to mid.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Soupstorm View Post
    The left route is exactly what you need to do. It keeps the highest ground safer from intrusion, giving more of a "base location" for mid defense which will help prevent excessive back-and-forth capping of the middle point. Unless that wasn't a problem with the map to begin with... in which case you should go with one of the extra routes to mid.
    I'm glad there are more suggestions for this addition as i've actually gone for both just to experiment. Left route there and route to mid, that is, not both ramps.

teaser:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-25_231942.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-24_172136.jpg

(now my concern is for gameplay and LoS under the point, but we'll see after tests).

Also, this is the third route to CP2 from CP1: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-25_232528.jpg

I'm just rotating the spawns fully now, to point forwards. Although it'll be easier to spam the spawn (why i didn't want to do this), you guys will have to let me know if this is an issue after more tests. Hopefully i can get a compile out Tuesday.

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

These additional ways look great and I'm glad you implemented them. Just of screens, I can't imagine how the last one, between CP1/CP2, would work and where it is exactly, but we will check that in game. Nice work.
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

StickZer0

Played this map just now, I really loved it!

A few niggles - the second forwards spawns don't point in the direction you SHOULD be going - I always end up running back into my base and getting confused.
    The little gate that opens at the top of the vents is just silly and slows down movement, and there are slight clipping errors in the vent.

Can't wait to see the next version go up on the Maplab

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Clipping errors? :/ I havn't noticed anything like that, only that the delay on the vent closing is weird to people, especially when there is more than 1 player on it. I'll take a closer look in a LAN game tomorrow morning and double check the door's flags to make sure it isn't spazzing out from any conflicting commands (i can't imagine that that's it, i havn't seen it spazzing out personally and i've used the gate several times). That said, the vent is necessary to prevent fall damage. Only other alternative is putting a prop under it so the fall distance remains less than 260 Hammer units. Will see what i can utilise for the next release.

I know i said i'd get the next release out today but i went and got drunk+played some pool so there will be a 12 hour delay.

StickZer0

No I'm talking about inside the vent itself there are clipping errors - not on that little grate that opens. I got caught once or twice a little bit running up inside the vents.

And that grate may be necessary to stop fall damage, but what about turbine? The drop from the vents there hurt you, i've never seen anyone complain about that. If you want to take the sneaky path you should be willing to take the risks!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

***UPDATE***

cp_axle_a5c

Spoiler: Reveal

In an effort to distinguish areas i've started to add unique details to specific areas of the map. If you feel like it, you can call this "the tire room".

Change log:

Added third route to CP2
    Added third route to CP3
    Added ramp to first floor of outter CP2 area.
    Combined primary spawn and changed orientation.
    Changed orientation of spawn positions in tertiary spawn.
    Added minor details.
    Fixed buggy vent grate.
    Implemented minor optimisation by putting fade distances on the larger props, shortened fog and implemented a far z-clipping plane (5120 units).

If there are no complaints i will go to Beta in my next release.

TF2maps.net 22.5MB zip
    Dropbox Mirror 19.8MB Bz2
    Dropbox Mirror 22.5MB zip

Quote Originally Posted by StickZer0 View Post
    No I'm talking about inside the vent itself there are clipping errors - not on that little grate that opens. I got caught once or twice a little bit running up inside the vents.

And that grate may be necessary to stop fall damage, but what about turbine? The drop from the vents there hurt you, i've never seen anyone complain about that. If you want to take the sneaky path you should be willing to take the risks!
    I cannot replicate this. I tested the map as sniper (tallest class) and havn't noticed any clipping issues in the vents (FYI the light fixtures have collision turned off). Also, i don't consider the fact that turbine makes players take fall damage a valid arguement. It's bad in turbine and i'd consider it bad in my map as well. Even though Turbine did get made official, the fact it is a custom means there is potential for it to not adhere to Valve standards of gameplay.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Getting an error while using the TF2maps link

MacNetron, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Anyways, other links work.

Uploaded cp_axle_a5c to MapLab and the Teamplay. Also updated the mapcycle as a4a was in it

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Yep, a4a was on teamplay - had a very enjoyable game on it last night.
    No point in posting any comments as it's been updated since I played so my comments will be out of date but I do really like this map - it feels 98% complete and to be honest, I was 10 mins into playing it before I remembered it was an alpha map - that's how natural it felt.
    Cookie given from: grazr
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Yea, sorry about the broken link, DrPepper made a new usergroup for us server moderators and a few permissions got broke/need re-adding in the process, He and Gadget are looking into it (and other issues) over these days following our new site skin change.

@ grom, hopefully my changes havn't been too drastic that they are negative rather than positive changes; whilst most people were happy with the layout there were some calls for additional routes that change the gameplay, most notably around CP2. I guess after further tests i'll find out which.

I look forward to additional feedback

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Excuse the double post:

In an effort to try and individualise axle, i've been brain storming a few finale ideas. This one seems easy and unique enough at the moment:

Ambiguous glowing radioactive rods.

The idea is they come up out of the floor when point is captured.

Only thing is this space might look bare before the capture, unless i get the consoles to slide into the wall or something.

Idea pool:

Nuclear rods seen above, which raise on capture.
    Screens hanging off the ceiling behind CP1. (boring)
    Blast door replaces slanted ceiling behind CP1, which opens up on capture to show: lazer/rocket/missiles/generic payload.
    Area infront of CP1 opens to show piranha pit. You die if you jump in.

Feel free to suggest more (that arn't overdone, aka radio dishes, missiles or rockets).

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Interesting idea with these rods - you may put the consoles on them, as the rods were for the whole time under computers. Or put the rods under "plant triangles" - it would be obvious then that the plants are just some spy-cover. What about the point going down, like a turbo-lift? everybody falling there would just die or you can put some easter egg down there. Is it overdone? I'm not as good informed what ideas are currently overdone
    Sorry for bad quality, I didn't want to get and plug in my tablet... I hope you would see what I mean

Blast door instead of ceiling sounds nice - especially if you are able to do these lazer/rocket/missiles effects there
    About a screen - what about a big screen that starts to show some strange/funny/propaganda transmision when you win? Like in that old, well known Apple commercial (or Valve's Dr. Breen).
    Piranha - no, I think it wouldn't look good in such an environment.
    Cookie given from: grazr
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Oooh, at the bottom of the turbolift, you could put the aperture symbol as an easter egg, to troll with people a little!
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

As far as i'm aware the control point hologram (the control point entity itself) has to remain static. You cannot parent it to a moving object so a turbo lift would be a difficult aesthetic to achieve.

The plant thing is a good idea.

I also agree about the piranha pit, it was just something different i thought of that hasn't been done yet. It's usually better to have a number of options on the table, it's surprising what the masses tend to desire.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

So, if you can't move the point... What about moving the whole map up while the point rest in place? Nah, ok, just kidding
    Sure, it's always better to have more ideas, not necessarily the best It helps in brain storms.
    Some blue text here

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Personally I'm adverse to the idea of a gimmick at the end of the map. I feel this map plays well enough to be a stock map and any gimmicky ending to it would only detract from it. My suggestion to add interest to the point would be to add something unique above, below or behind it and (if you really need to) blow it up after the point is captured. Any way you can connect it to the name of the map? For example how about two nucleus rings, one at each last point, that are connected by an axle that spans the distance under the map. Upon capture the nucleus energy could change colour to the team that capped it, showing that they've synchronised the energy output along the axle and claimed the whole facility. Just a thought.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Would it be possible to change them for "Australium Rods", and use the same effect as the australium wrench on people near them?
    Last.Played

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

That would look cool... Nice idea, Hawk. Maybe also some yellow/gold cloud around it to visualise the effect - like green clouds at the end of hoodoo.

I partially agree with Boylee. I think a gimmick as the end of the cp map (5 points, not A/D) is a bit strange - because during playtime you win or lose a few times. As for now the explosions are only at the end of payload or attack/defense maps, so it might be a bit weird to have something similar on 5cp. However there's no rule forbidding that and your map may really benefit from interesting ending - and people would recognise it better. So I still think it's good you're planning not ordinary ending, just don't make it TOO big and glittering...
    I would also suggest adjusting name to an ending you will come up with, not adjusting the ending to "Axle" name - unless you really want it to keep that name.
    Some blue text here

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Axle's name was related to its original layout shape, now it's changed the name doesn't seem appropriate. I'm inclined to change it, as you suggest, but the maps starting to get more popular; It's already been grabbed for simiancage and pennyarcade servers. If i change it i think it'd probably be better for an RC version when people are more familiar with the map and the theme is set in stone (and save me potentially renaming it a third time). Currently i'm at the alpha/beta switch over point which would only be more confusing for people loosely following the map.

The nucleus affect is a model so i'd need to get someone willing to reskin a model and with a custom material proxy. I doubt it's majorly difficult (read: not impossible), especially as i have offers from custom modellers to put content in it, but the nucleus models are still huge; I'm not sure i could fit them in in a decent position.

The gold affect is interesting, but it's hard coded into the unique weapon, i doubt i'd be able to get that working without a server mod/plugin. I'll look into it.

The ending "gimmick" would be fairly minimal in intrusion and wouldn't affect the overall appearence of the map, especially compared to a dramatic explosion like dustbowl's rocket or badwater's payload. At least unless i want it to be. Simply: Each map is based on a resource for narrative purposes, intelligence, weapons, fuel, stockpile, food, comminucations etc. Fastlane was a cop-out because it ignored narrative, but even skdr (the author) realised this and added in the dustbowl rockets after it went official. The idea isn't supposed to be a gimmick, it's supposed to be the basis for an underlying story which the map needs to tell to justify its existance. The mercenaries are fighting over something, not just out of sheer brovado (otherwise it'd just be team death match).

Players might be happy capturing the ambiguous point of unknown significance in cp_badlands but i want players to get a little more out of 5cp maps than just 2 generic bases positioned opposite each other "just because". At least 2fort has the intelligence.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Please excuse the double post, but a small update. I've been working on the 3dskybox and need a little feedback.

Inspired by:

Please ignore the maps lower fog distance, i didn't sync the settings to the sky camera (so that i could see the batholiths in detail).

I'm almost certainly going to need to create a custom skybox as the mountain overshoots these Batholiths. The batholiths also feel a little small, i might double their scale. Then maybe the huge texture scale wont be so apparent either.

Should i increase the displacement scale? Some of it looks blockier than when i was working in Hammer.

EDIT:

I synced the fog settings for a more accurate representation of the maps potential settings: (1024 - 716

If i do increase the 3dskybox scale, i'm gonna have to increase the fog settings too. The batholiths appear as just white monoliths on the opposite side of the map.