Thread: KOTH Swaziland

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

KOTH Swaziland

Adhering to my rigorous, self-imposed schedule of 1 alpha per week, I am pleased to share koth_swaziland_a1! The 2nd of 6 African themed (eventually) maps for the TF2 World Domination! Rotation.

Thanks to Spike, for his jungle model pack; Rexy, for his rock models; Seba_079 for the pickup overlays; and Boylee for the Blueprint texture. I just hope I managed to pack all of those extras properly. If someone would do me the solid of giving it a run around, just to be sure . . .

Download link (Updated to version a1a - this time I'm 99% sure I packed it correctly)

Last edited by SPHinx; 18-09-2010 at 15:37.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: KOTH Swaziland

African theme... now that sounds nice!

koth_swaziland_a1.bsp uploaded to the MapLab.

Will check later to see if those models are packed correctly (or send me a steam msg tonight for a duo run )

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Great theme in the making Layout looks sound. Now I just need some time to play!

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

had a quick run - custom textures and models aren't found
    Spoiler: Reveal

Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_01rt)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_01bk)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_01lf)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_01ft)
    Got pure server whitelist: sv_pure = 1.
    Failed to load $include VMT file (materials/SWAMP/WATER/WATER_SWAMP.vmt)
    Error: Material "maps/koth_swaziland_a1/swamp/water/water_swamp_0_-848_64" uses unknown shader "patch"
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_rocks/rock_03.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_rocks/rock_06.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_rocks/rock_05.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/jungle/tree_crysis.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/jungle/tree_crysis.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_rocks/rock_03.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_rocks/rock_01.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_rocks/rock_06.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_rocks/rock_05.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_rocks/rock_01.mdl)
    2 People have given a Cookie to master85: Post Script.ps, SPHinx

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by master85 View Post
    had a quick run - custom textures and models aren't found
    Blerg. Was trying out the Map Analyst program. Guess I don't have the hang of it.

Thanks for checking. I will fix it.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

give me a sign when you have and I'll upload the new version asap

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

New, fixed version is ready. Thanks, Mac.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

This version is 7 times bigger, so it looks packed with all stuff

Uploaded a1a to the MapLab, deleted a1 just to be sure.

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Cookie given from: SPHinx
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

It looks nice, but I'm afraid it's not so good to play First of all, it's HUUUGE, size of 5 CP map for me! First of all you have to run all the way just to reach the buildings - and it's not like you immediately enter the Point Area, there are still some corridors - and it's still the shortest way. I once accidentally (because of spawn location) took the left way and walked all around the map, that was a serious journey!
    The other thing is what someone (Monkeys?) said - players who capped the point have additional advantage in blocking the enemies way to point - thay have high ground and long sight line - it takes only a good sniper and demoman to hold it for ages I think it would be more interesting if the respawns were also on high (or even higher) ground and connected to main building with bridges (like some kind of treehouses) - only these who fell would have to take a longer, upward way.
    I think you should also make the windows near point a bit lower, so normal classes could jump through them. I would also like to see some dead pit where there's invisible wall at the moment (so close to point) - additional fun for pyros
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Thanks Angry. I will bring the scaling down. Perhaps I will try more of a U-shaped "mountain" around the central building. Stick the spawns on the cliff face; higher up, as you suggest.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

StickZer0

Was very, very large and open outside the cap. As in, there was an unnecessary amount of space from spawn to the main building where the cap was. Please, reduce this! heh

The height differences were quite insane - an average height difference of 256 units through the map was pretty mad, with the first height change being 384 units tall :s

You could easily knock a good 128 units off the building and make it much better for climbing up and fighting on

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Yea, I think we all agree it was too large

Other than that, the gameplay seemed nice!
    Only comment are to the buildings to the right when exiting the spawn. They don't really seems necessary as they're just a long way around and they're a bit of a distraction from the main point.
    Seemed a bit redundant to have them actually.
    Last.Played

Unreformed Convict SleeperService's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Layout was good and the capture zone worked well I thought but as the others have said its a little too big and the journey to the zone is easily defended

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

As has been said, the whole map is just massive. I never saw an advantage to taking the route to the right, through the buildings, either - after you manage to cross no-man's land and get into the main building, you can get to wherever you want pretty easily, and quicker than you would have been going right. I suppose it's safer, but the trade-off never seemed worth it. Especially for KOTH where being quick is so important.

The actual point itself, I liked. A good amount of routes to attack it, health and ammo nearby but not TOO close, and the treacherous ladder crossing to push people off
    Last edited by almightybob; 18-10-2010 at 18:34.
    2 People have given a Cookie to almightybob: SPHinx

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Demos: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1766697/blue...aziland_a1a.7z

Fsr most of the demos for swaziland were broken, I'm sorry I don't know why.