Thread: The Subtle Spamfest

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: The Subtle Spamfest

This is a petition to get Alan Turing depicted on the new 10 note designs: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31659
    There's also a facebook page, if you're into that sort of thing: https://www.facebook.com/TuringOnTheTenner

Some of you will no doubt know why he is such an important figure but for those that don't I shall explain a little.

Alan Turing was a leading codebreaker in WW2 and played a crucial role in deciphering the Enigma cipher, some actually go as far as saying he was a key factor in winning the war.
    He was also pretty much the founding father of computer science as it is, with his most famous paper being on Computational Intelligence and the Turing Test, which is a test designed to tell if a computer can pass for human.
    He fascinatingly managed to write a computer program for a computer that didn't exist (no computers powerful enough to run such a program existed at the time) to play chess, he played out the program himself, making moves using mathematical logic taking half an hour per move against one of his colleagues.
    He also made some pretty amazing discoveries in the field of Biology (some of which apply to Mathematics too), in which he researched the appearance of the Fibonacci sequence in plants.
    He has many other papers on mostly mathematics I think and obviously he was a very intelligent man, I don't think he gets enough recognition for the work he did considering the massive, and still ongoing, effect it had on the world.

This next bit isn't necessarily relevant, but still a key part of his history I feel.
    He was also prosecuted for homosexuality by the British Government in 1952, he accepted chemical castration as punishment and he was not the same after. He killed himself in 1954 attributed to the stress brought on by the changes the castration brought about in him.
    Gordon Brown apologised publicly for this in 2009.
    2 People have given a Cookie to 3agle: Boylee.ps, The Sero.ps
    "We do not wish to penalise the machine
    for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise
    a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane." -- A.M.Turing

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by 3agle View Post
    Alan Turing was a leading codebreaker in WW2 and played a crucial role in deciphering the Enigma cipher, some actually go as far as saying he was a key factor in winning the war.
    With this one I wouldn't agree, considering Polish commitment in breaking the code (and being first to succeed), unfortunately history often omits their merits. I don't say Turing had no important role, for he later supported Polish Cipher Bureau and continued the research, decrypting naval-Enigma, but I wouldn't give him such a key praise.

Other than that, I agree it's a good idea to show some support for great Mathematicians and put a good example of them on a note So fair points.
    Last edited by AngryPotato; 29-03-2012 at 15:46. Reason: lol imma potato!
    Cookie given from: 3agle.ps
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPotato View Post
    With this one I wouldn't agree, considering Polish commitment in breaking the code (and being first to succeed), unfortunately history often omits their merits. I don't say Turing had no important role, for he later supported Polish Cipher Bureau and continued the research, decrypting naval-Enigma, but I wouldn't give him such a key praise.

Other than that, I agree it's a good idea to show some support for great Mathematicians and put a good example of them on a note So fair points.
    I personally don't attribute him to being a key figure to winning the war(I was just stating that some do), though I do attribute him to playing a crucial role in cryptography, in relation to British history at least.
    The Poles made the first incarnation of the Bombe (though they did hide it from the allies for 6 years), but Turing advanced this concept for British use.

Besides this point, I think Turings greatest contributions were in the field of computing, which is more the reason I am promoting the petition so

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Continuing with the science-y theme:

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

(1)Spudd has joined the game. Spudd's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

You will never be this cool. Not even you JimboMcB.

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    11 People have given a Cookie to Boylee: 3agle.ps, almightybob.ps, Cowmugger, DJive.ps, hazo.ps, Jamesy.ps, Logan.ps, Myaumix, SCi-Fi, Spudd, The Sero.ps
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Mobius Bacon!

12 People have given a Cookie to AngryPotato: 3agle.ps, almightybob.ps, awesome-o, Boylee.ps, Cowmugger, DK, Equinoxo, Fletch, grom.ps, hazo.ps, MacNetron.ps, The Sero.ps
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPotato View Post
    Mobius Bacon!

I love this post so much.
    Cookie given from: AngryPotato
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Cookie given from: Boylee.ps
    Cowl Squad - Caber Division Tactical Medic Removal Ltd. "We Caber give a toss"

Cowmugger.ps: maybe I'll kill less babies
    Cowmugger.ps: don't quote me on that

Trustworthy

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Cowl Squad - Caber Division Tactical Medic Removal Ltd. "We Caber give a toss"

Cowmugger.ps: maybe I'll kill less babies
    Cowmugger.ps: don't quote me on that

Trustworthy

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by 3agle View Post
    He was also prosecuted for homosexuality by the British Government in 1952, he accepted chemical castration as punishment and he was not the same after. He killed himself in 1954 attributed to the stress brought on by the changes the castration brought about in him.
    Gordon Brown apologised publicly for this in 2009.
    Most importantly though, although Gordon Brown apologised personally, every British leader so far has refused to exonerate or rescind his conviction so, in the eyes of the law he is still guilty of a crime that no longer exists. That is shameful. I mean, come on - the Turing Test! Sometimes I'm embarrassed for my country.
    Cookie given from: The Sero.ps
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by grom View Post
    Most importantly though, although Gordon Brown apologised personally, every British leader so far has refused to exonerate or rescind his conviction so, in the eyes of the law he is still guilty of a crime that no longer exists. That is shameful. I mean, come on - the Turing Test! Sometimes I'm embarrassed for my country.
    Yeah it is disgraceful, I can't begin to imagine how much further technology might have benefited from things he could have discovered had he not died so young.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by grom View Post
    If I recall correctly the House of Lords refused to pardon him because he was fairly convicted of something that was, at the time, illegal. There's a BBC article, I'll try and find it now.

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16919012
    02:24 - Focusknock: why is it that I find you with a moomin avatar unsurprising and fitting
    02:24 - Focusknock: why are you so good as a moomin

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Cookie given from: AngryPotato

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Seric View Post
    Yeah, I've been watching the technology with interest, seems like a good direction. That said, didn't like this video, felt too much like marketing. I get that's what an idea needs when approaching populations and governments, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. (also, "never run out"? Screw that. Like yeah, '1gigabyte would be enough storage for anyone! Who could even use that much!'. Energy use increases fairly quickly (ok, not as quickly as computer technology), and I could foresee a scenario where energy demands have increased so much that thorium becomes hard to get efficiently as well.)
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

It's ALWAYS party time!
    Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Gee, Danny Devito sure looks old.
    Error 404: Sig not found

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

lol, this must be an April's Fool article, right?
    Last.Played

It's ALWAYS party time!
    Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

So there you are, standing next to a famous football player, but then suddenly SUPRISE BOOGIE!
    Cookie given from: Hawk.ps
    Error 404: Sig not found

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received