Thread: The Subtle Spamfest

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2011
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking the 8g one, not just because its cheap butits my first one, should i go for a inscription, its free.

I accidentally a whole post. Carbon's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    I went for an inscription on my ipod, then got a new one. No resell potential, luckily my sister didn't have one at the time, so she uses it.

It's tempting cos its free, but I would say not to. You'll have a case covering the inscription anyway.

Has a beard now
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Agreed there. Especially after the slogans your showed me in media *groan.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    I came -><- that close to having mrs grom's inscribed with
    'Demo model - property of Apple Store'
    but I settled for
    'Caution - May Contain Nuts'
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2011
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    lol, no ithought "" would be good, its not personal so it could be sold over, but i think i might just go plain.

Now even more spooky!
    Spam Prince Vegeta
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    i'm back, 2 days of sickness

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Bought myself a Wii today. No Wii Fit yet, as that one was sold out.
    Been bowling for a hour now

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    It's my birthday in a few days time and I'm sorely tempted with the idea of getting a wii now that there are a few reliable methods for enabling homebrew on it. Has anyone got any recommendations for which 'brew device to use? I'm looking at the Wasabi or the drivekey.
    (Let's not get into a piracy debate though - I've stated many times in the past that I only buy things I can take apart and tinker with, I love homebrew and due to unruly children and my own klutziness I have to be able to make backups of any software I buy but I am not advocating piracy at all)
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    Twitter

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    Twitter

The Wizard of OS
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNetron View Post
    Bought myself a Wii today. No Wii Fit yet, as that one was sold out.
    Been bowling for a hour now

Your TV had better watch out

I know someone who killed a 50" Sony Bravia on her first go at bowling.... it was her boyfriends parent's TV too lol

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    W00t, bought GTA: Chinatown wars and an Eels CD, and later today, I'll be going to see the Presidents of the USA, The Galacticos and Reggie Watts!
    And tomorrow: citytrip to Paris!
    Last.Played

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Ooo what Eels CD did you buy? Saw 'em live a few years ago and it was great, if a little surreal.
    The operating costs of salvation are through the roof.

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Ooo what Eels CD did you buy? Saw 'em live a few years ago and it was great, if a little surreal.
    Meet the Eels, basicly a best of CD. It wasn't too expensive and always wanted to buy a cd of them
    Last.Played

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful Freak, Daisies of the Galaxy and Souljacker are all great albums. They're on so many soundtacks everyone knows at least one song of theirs.

If you get a chance I'd recommend you see them live. They had a string quartet with them when i saw them and the supporting act was a 20 minutes animation in a language i couldn't pinpoint

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    Twitter

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    For bonus points - did you know that the singer of the Eels (well, he IS the Eels really), Mark Everett's dad, Hugh Everett, came up with the 'many worlds' of Quantum mechanics which is an amazingly important and mind-blowing theory (as important as Einstein's theories but harder to understand).

There was a superb documentary Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives about a year ago on BBC4 where E went to find out about his dad. I'll try to find a link to it as I'd recommend it to everyone.
    *Edit - found it - part one and part two
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    Twitter

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    FTW!! Indeed! That Reggie Watts video is brilliant.

Lol yes i did know that! (because of that documentary) Sounds like hes had a shit life where family is concerned though.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Hi all, first time poster here. I've followed some ARGs in the past but never posted until now. So, anyway... I wanted to put all the information about this potential ARG in one place. Credit for a lot of this stuff goes to other users from unfiction, RelicNews, Reddit, and Youtube, so... thanks everyone for your contributions!

Youtube video What's in the Box? - Test Film 2009 posted on Mar 13 2009 from account Timacious, registered June 22 2007. Comment reads "This is a early temp version. Will be deleted soon." Video is said to contain heavy Half Life references including a similar universe and concept, borrowed sound effects, usage of the phrase "What's in the Box?", and a news ticker reading "MILLIONS FEARED DEAD - NO NEWS FROM DISASTER AREA - LARGEST SINGLE COLLAPSE IN HISTORY SINCE BLACK MESA", leading some viewers to immediately assume the video to be a viral add for Half Life 2: Ep 3. Some claims are made that the video is an advertisement for Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG, or Acer because of the product placement. Also, it is noted that most of the music in the video is ripped directly from Lost, written by Michael Giacchino, with the possible exception of a track from The Lost World - Jurassic Park 2 by John Williams when the man in the video runs from the bus around 5:00 into the video. The scenery in the video is recognized as the city Nijmegen, Netherlands.

There are 3 other videos uploaded by the Timacious account:

Discovery Mythbusters - The Phone Book Myth, uploaded Nov 20 2007, shows the Dutch student Tim Smit and friend Steven Roeters attempting to separate two interwoven phone books as a part of Discovery Channel's Be a Mythbuster contest. At 3:53 a red logo of a tilted square with a question mark in the center shows, with unreadable text beneath it. This appears again at 4:31. According to this article, Tim Smit and Steven Roeters are Natural Science students at Radboud University, won the contest, and flew out to meet the real Mythbusters in Feb 2008. The article also mentions that they are working on What's in the Box.

Terminator 2 - Sweded, uploaded May 13 2008, is a humorously low-budget re-enactment of the 1991 film Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The credits for the video, shown at 1:17, list Tim Smit among other names. The same logo of a tilted square with a question mark in the center can be seen twice during these credits (bottom-right at 1:17, bottom-left at 1:19).

Storm Chasers - Becoming Tornadoproof, uploaded Dec 16 2008, appears to be an entry for Discovery Channel's Storm Chasers contest. The video is a spoof instructional video about becoming "Tornadoproof" and features a character named "The Extreme". At 0:14 in, the gearshift of the car can be seen to be a Terminator's metallic skull. At 1:00, a piece of debris resembling part of a wall falls to the ground in the background and is destroyed. As the piece is falling, the logo of a tilted square with a question mark in the center can be seen on it for a split second. The email address Timaciousd.at.gmail.com can be seen at 1:17. This email address seems to be a reference to the band Tenacious D.

Website http://whatsinthebox.nl/ displays a tilted square with a question mark in the center. The square pulses with light, revealing that is actually 3-dimensional, a cube or box. The box appears to have sparks emanating from it. 4 digits in the center of the screen cycle between a number of strings. At the bottom of the screen, motion picture-style credits read:

PRODUCTIONS presents a MYSTERY OF MYSTERIES production "WHAT IS IN THE BOX"
    writers TIMSMIT THIBAUT NIELS music created by STEVEN ROETERS directory of photography TIMSMIT production design THIBAUT NIELS TIMSMIT
    special effects TIMSMIT screenplay written by THIBAUT NIELS TIMSMIT website complex by TIM MEEUWISSEN TIMSMIT film editor TIMSMIT produced and directed by TIMSMIT THIBAUT NIELS
    additional thanks to FRANK TER ELST JURI JOOSTEN and MARKUP
    2007 A PRODUCTIONS official series. All rights reserved

When moused-over, the box flashes red, text appears within and below the box, and question marks appear over certain letters within the credits. With some visual adjustments, the text in the box can be seen to be the lyrics of Tenacious D's song Beelzebob.

The letters from the credits which are covered with question marks read something like this:

OTION nts ST WHAT IS IN THE BOX
    TIS CREA TEV O ector phy BAUT
    SM S TH IS EEU S dito MS c ec MIT T
    dition R TER EL U OOS d AR

or this:

O TION nts ST WHAT IS IN THE BOX
    s TI crea TEV RO ector phy BAUT MSM
    SM TH IMS EEU S MS c ec MIT UT
    ditio R ER EL U OOS d AR

or this:

O(T)ION NT (S) ST "WHAT IS IN THE BOX"
    ST(IM) CREA TE (R)O (C)TOR
    PH(Y) BAUT MSM
    S Th IMS EEU SM EDI-(Possibly DIT from the word EDITOR) CE ED MIT UT
    DITO R ER ELS OOS(T) D R

It's hard to tell which letters are actually supposed to be covered and which are not, because in some cases a question mark covers part of a letter but not the entire thing.

Decompiling the flash object on the page reveals that the 4-digit string is an array called bullshitArray, and contains the strings:
    0001 WSAD 134G ASDF 123A 1234 5223 QWER FASG 4213 UUUU READ FAST JFSD 2123 BOXR SAGA JFSD 2123 6335 2347 2678 7856 1111 0003

When the source of the page is viewed, a comment can be found which reads:
    Every medium, as its ancestors
    Every pro, has his anti's, now you think about that
    Also, a link to the image Anti.jpg, which shows the box and credits again, but with different text behind the box. With visual adjustments, this text has been found to be from this page about Dye-sensitized solar cells. The numbers 71-73.5% and 87% are highlighted in red and differ from the numbers on the site, and the word ATTAINABLLNESS is overlayed near the bottom. This seems to be a misspelling of "attainableness". Rather than a question mark in the center, the box contains some math formulas and images of squares. It has been suggested that the 4 cube graphics within the main cube are representations of a hypercube rotating in 3-space. The top math formula (V2n=integrals) integral is the volume of a cube of side length 2n, but the rest of the math at this point seems to be insignificant. The EXIF of the image shows the graphic was made on 2007/03/12 at 15:19:54 using Photoshop CS for Windows.

A whois of the site shows that it is hosted in the Netherlands, was registered by "T. Smit" 2006-07-13, and was updated on 2006-10-03.

Other info about Tim Smit and Steven Roeters:
    - Tim Smit apparently designed an Urban Security Suit which bears resemblance to the generic-ish jumpsuits worn by the men in the What's in the Box video
    - Steven Roeters may have some connection to Biosurface Spectroscopy Research: http://www.amolf.nl/research/biosurf...molfpeople_pi1[showUid]=10891
    - Tim Smit's name is a palindrome (TIMSMIT is the same backwards and forwards); Tim Smit is also not an uncommon name in the Netherlands

Other notes about the What's in the Box video:
    - The device that the "box" is in at the beginning of the video is an Atomic Force Microscope
    - The phone number that the runner is attempting to dial is 59462
    - At 5:21 when the runner removes the Brain Computer Interface, it has a Windows Blue Screen of Death, specifically a page fault (error 0x0E)
    - At 6:44 when the runner is hiding in the house, as he turns, an image of a face can be seen briefly. It was suggested that this face resembled a Heavy from Team Fortress 2, but I think this idea has already been dispelled because it was discovered that the face is merely a wall ornament in the house
    - All of the birds in the background fall dead out of the air at 8:20
    - It was suggested that 3 different brands of cell phones were shown because of a law in the Netherlands that requires at least 3 brands of a certain product to be mentioned in order for a film or TV show to not be considered advertisement. I'm not sure, however, what this says about the Acer handheld at 1:05 and the Philips monitor at 0:54

Links to other threads:
    Reddit Videos
    Reddit Gaming
    RelicNews

My thoughts:
    - The usage of Half Life sound effects and ideas, Lost and Jurassic Park music, and the brand names of Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG, Acer, and Philips is undeniable, but I think they are (intentionally or unintentionally?) sidetracking people into thinking this is an advert. Sure, it may just be a HL2:EP3 viral, but then again it may not be. Let's find out. Also, if it IS a HL2:EP3 viral, doesn't it seem weird that it would use borrowed music and such? Seems like that would be a copyright issue.
    - Both of the Discovery Channel videos, as well as the Terminator video, show the box with the question mark inside. This may just be the logo for Tim Smit's studio PRODUCTIONS, but nevertheless the concept of the box has been floating around for a while now. The registration date of the http://whatsinthebox.nl/ URL and EXIF on the anti.jpg image confirm this. If Valve is somehow involved, and this is indeed a HL2:EP3 viral, this would mean Valve was already planning it before they released HL2:EP2.
    - The Tower of Babel and the Box seems to be the main focus of the video, with the math formulas and hypercube illustration possibly hinting at some 4th-dimensional stuff. But, the website, anti.jpg, and Steven Roeters page bring up another topic, which is the solar energy stuff. To me, the red highlighted numbers in anti.jpg, which are higher than the numbers from the Biosurface Spectroscopy Research, are directly related the ATTAINABLLNESS; that is to say, that with a some sort of new technology/research/whatever, some sort of high-efficiency solar energy capturing device/ethod could be attainable.
    - There seems to be a Terminator theme going on here, between the Terminator 2: Sweded video, and the Terminator gearshift in the car in Discovery Channel: Storm Chasers. I don't know if this means anything; probably just that Tim Smit and his crew like the Terminator. ALSO: about the solar cells, "These cells were invented by Michael Graetzel in 1991 and are also known as Graetzel cells". 1991, same year as Terminator 2.
    - There also seems to be a Tenacious D theme, between the TimaciousD email address and the lyrics in the background on the page. Again, I have a feeling Tim Smit just likes Tenacious D.

Where to go from here:
    - Decipher the 4-digit strings of text from the website, if there's any meaning to them. This is doubtful, considering they are from "bullshitArray".
    - Figure out the significance of the other math formulas on the anti.jpg image, if there is any.
    - Figure out the meaning behind 71-73.5% and 87% and ATTAINABLLNESS, if there is anything beyond what I've stated above.
    - Is there any significance to the phone number 59462?
    - Do Discovery Channel, Terminator, or Tenacious D have any meaning? What about Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG, Acer, and Philips? What about Half Life, Lost, and Jurassic Park?
    - Can we find any more information about Tim Smit or Steven Roeters by googling around?
    - Email Tim Smit? He did give us his address after all in the Storm Chasers video.
    hhmmmmmm

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    I just watched that video and ,without even thinking about what it all means, was stunned