View Poll Results: Which L4D do you prefer?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Left 4 Dead

11 52.38%
  • Left 4 Dead 2

10 47.62%

Thread: Which L4D do you prefer?

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Which L4D do you prefer?

They both have some really nice points, and some less-than-good points, but because they are essentially the same game, I find I play a lot more of one than the other...

I prefer the first game due to the darker and more urban campaigns, much more tense experience. I also prefer the characters from the first game.

However, I prefer the second one due to the extra items, melee weapons, ammo types, boomer bile, defib, adrenaline, and just plain out more guns. I also like the extra playable infected in versus, and would especially miss the charger and spitter. And recently, realism versus is an epic mode only in 2.

Simply, I play the second over the first for a) the fact it has a lot of additions, and going back to 1 (while improves a little) adds nothing specific, and takes away plenty, b) I usually play when invited, and it's always to 2.

I would absolutely love it if the original 4 1/2 campaigns could be transferred to number 2, incorporating the new items and infected (and making them ALL playable in versus) and keeping it balanced etc, rather than just a simple port.

To get back to the question at hand, which do you prefer, and why?
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

The artist formerly known as
    Nuttmegger
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: Which L4D do you prefer?

Althoguh I prefer the less gimicky look and feel of left 4 dead one, and appreciate that it doesn't give me jockey during versus (the class also known as double respawn time), left 4 dead 2 is just sooo much bigger a game and more fun things can happen because of that.

Specifically I like: wandering witches, realism versus, weather effects, and the biggest thing of all: melee weapons.
    Nuttmegger: Troll mode... Activated
    Equinoxo: You have an off setting? Like why even mention?
    Nuttmegger: 'cause I'm in troll mode.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I've only played L4D2 extensively... so I guess that one?

^^^click here!^^^

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I find L4D2 to be an improvement in nearly every way. To elaborate I prefer the atmosphere and the characters from the original.

cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

l4d2 new features are great.....

but I prefer the game mechanics for infected in versus L4D1 .... i.e. I love playing hunter because of the skill margin... playing infected in l4d2 isn't as fun as l4d1.

if they made a game mode for l4d2 where you had just l4d1 infected only + l4d1 maps inclusive... that would be awessooome.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

hmmmmm pretty sure you it would be possible to make a server side mod that enables this. Don't know how though.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

OHHHH NOOOOOO!
    Cookie given from: Boylee.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I liked L4D1 more when it came out than I liked L4D2 when it first came out but given the choice, I'd play L4D2 every time - it's just that little bit bigger and better, except for the Jockey - the jockey should be drowned at birth and then burned with fire - it only adds frustration.
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by grom View Post
    except for the Jockey - the jockey should be drowned at birth and then burned with fire - it only adds frustration.
    I hate the jockey as much as the next guy, but he does have his place. Mainly Realism, where the glows are turned off. He's deadly there. But he can be useful dragging people off cliffs, or just away when people are distracted by someone else. He has very specific uses, so people don't have chance to learn him.

Also, in addition to the first post, L4D is more of an expansion pack than a sequel, it adds nothing besides content, but playing the base game after trying that content always feels weird
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Gotta be L4D over L4D2.

The only reason i'd go and play L4D2 over L4D is for the extra infected and the fact that everyone plays it over L4D; the weapons feel very much the same in the way that toilet paper and kitchen roll are the same, they both clean up mess - and in this case the mess is zombies, and you're not as much cleaning it up as creating more....

The characters mean little to me as you rarely get to see anything other than the arms of the guy you play anyway.

Which brings me to the controls and different game modes. The controls from L4D feel like CSS - raw and quick, allowing for reaction shots on pouncing Hunters and the ability to kill them in mid flight if they're not skilled enough (this also includes Boomers and Smokers). The controls in L4D2 however, seem a lot more "padded out" and sluggish, for want of a better phrase. I'm sure i've ranted about the controls in L4D2 before, and i've heard 1 or 2 people agree with me, but everyone else says they don't notice a major difference... :S

All this aside, I truly believe that it's the multitude of game modes on L4D2 that keeps people coming back for more. Valve are always creating new content and this mostly gives an infected team a balanced variety of play styles and certain infected types that can flourish in different conditions. i.e: Long corridors for chargers to plough through, edges of buildings and bridges for chargers and jockeys to ram and pull the remaining survivors off of......
    The new addition of the mutation seems cool, coupled with The Passing that came out not too long back. It might entice me back into playing a bit more L4D2.

EDIT: /rant

Neox - Norse warrior god with the skills and tenacity of a dead wombat.
    AKA - NeoX

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

One reason I like L4D2 more is that the guns + arm model looks a lot better than the one in L4D1. Plus, the UI is a little nicer and there are more weapons/infected.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

i played l4d1 to death, but i love its campaigns more than l4d2, particularly no mercy, but the finale chapters are essentially the same on every campaign, also i have l4d1 on xbox 360 which means the usual dealing with xbox live tards who rage quit on the first level or shout orders to their team mates regardless of what is happening to them... like "rush rush rush! why arent you rushing?" *is being eaten by a hunter because his "teammates" ran off" that kind of fun!

i prefer l4d2 mainly because i get to play with playstuff peoples, well i did when i had real internet soon my pretties, soon. i like all the gameplay additioins in l4d2 too, i havent played it in a few months and havent read any patch updates, but i love the new items and realism m ode, havent got to play realism versus yet there are a tew things i dont like in l4d2 though, sometimes the tank spawns in versus, are in useless places, im not a huge fan of the day time campaigns either, i preffered the dark gritty feeling in l4d1, also tanks in versus are pretty easy to take out, molotov + bile bomb + melee spam, at least they patched the melee damage on the tank, but my main gripe is i has nor eal internet to play the bloody game and i think my graphics card is dying too

edit: also magnum is awesome, particularly on realism expert where it one hit kills regular infected wherever you hit them, without the risk of using a melee weapon and letting them get close
    Last edited by Sicks; 14-06-2010 at 10:08. Reason: magnum pwnage

Season 1 now in progress!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

well, get your internet fixed quickly mate, we miss you

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by MacNetron View Post
    well, get your internet fixed quickly mate, we miss you
    100% agreed.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    my main gripe is i has nor eal internet to play the bloody game and i think my graphics card is dying too
    know the feeling : just got my system ready to game after months! looking forward to playing on my shit internet now
    Twitter @Logan_ps - Twitch.tv Logan

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

hehe i cant wait to get back into it im gonna be sooo out of practice though, wish i could get my pc online for long enough to download hammer again but i cant pick up my neighbours signal on it, and using this usb dongle at 15 a gigabyte is out of the question,

Season 1 now in progress!

The artist formerly known as
    Nuttmegger
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

The jockey.... it's not entirely useless in general situations now
    Nuttmegger: Troll mode... Activated
    Equinoxo: You have an off setting? Like why even mention?
    Nuttmegger: 'cause I'm in troll mode.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I prefer L4D1 for many reasons:

1-The dark and scary atmosphere.
    2-The characters are way more cool.
    3-The weapons reloads faster (or at least it looks like that to me).
    4-There are many good custom campaigns to play.
    5-For an unknown reason, i find more mature and friendly players whit the first L4D.

I prefer L4D2 only for these 2 reasons:

1-More gamemodes.
    2-More weapons (and i DON'T mean melee weapons, i prefer double pistols).