Thread: Valve need your help!

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Valve need your help!

Hi all, I've got a favour to ask.

Some of you might have heard of EscapistMagazine. It's the home of Yahtzee, the some pretty decent TF2 players (imo) and some more besides.

It is also the home to March Mayhem. If you weren't following for the past couple of years (pretty likely, given the total lack of coverage Valve gave it), here's the basics:

64 Developers
    6 rounds of head-to-head voting
    thousands of users voting for their favourite developers
    1 winner.

Basically, the devs are paired off, then users vote for their favourite of the pair. The dev with the most votes goes through to the next round, the one with the least goes home.

Why am I posting this in community? Because Valve needs the community behind it on this one. For the past two years, the title has been secured by Turbine, makers of DDO and LOTRO. Even though Turbine are at a disadvantage game quality, game quantity and support amongst the forum regulars, they managed to beat Naughty Dog, SEGA, Bethesda, Valve, Nintendo and then Bioware in the final. I'd argue that any one of those developers deserved to win, however every time the opponent stepped up support? Turbine stepped up one further.

Turbine advertise in their loading screens, players turn up and vote. Valve doesn't advertise at all, Valve lose by 14 votes after having the matchup almost perfectly balanced for the whole 72 hours (after the usual 48 the votes were exactly equal, leading to a run off, which ended in the loss).

I ask every person who enjoys playing Valve games to come and give your voice on the Escapist March Mayhem.

Feel free to look me up when you get there, I'm Wordsmith, Escapist TF2 Admin, asking you to make your voice heard.
    Last edited by thewordsmith; 17-03-2010 at 07:29. Reason: See Colt's post- they might not be the best I've ever played with after all :P

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: Valve need your help!

I'll head on over, I sorta enjoy these things, and I do browse the escapist quite regularly xD

EDIT: Trouble is, I always pick who I want to win, rather than who I think will win >.< And it feels wrong backing someone just 'cos I think they'll do well, and then voting against who I've picked when it comes up >.<
    Last edited by The Sero; 17-03-2010 at 00:44.
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I'm sure I can manage that I'm a fanboy after all

edit ; done. Blizzard vs Valve in my final....wasn't hard to choose.

and i'm sure you don't mean this
    the best damn TF2 community I've ever had the pleasure of playing with
    ....2nd best - or do you just come here for favours?
    Last edited by Logan; 17-03-2010 at 01:54.
    Twitter @Logan_ps - Twitch.tv Logan

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Colt View Post
    done. Blizzard vs Valve in my final....wasn't hard to choose.
    Same, Though blizzard and bioware were a tough fight for me Some of the groupings are awful for me, I either love both of them, or don't care about either of them >.< For a few rounds as well.
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

Playstuff Member .ps Deaths Apprentice's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Ok ive been browsing the escapist site for a long time now, its on my bookmarks toolbar im signed to the feeds and i love zp and been hooked on apocalypse lane since it started, but ive not registered there before coz i know that id end up telling all the fanboys on the forum to get a grip on them selves and to growup, all consoles are good in there own way and i hate good games getting slated just coz its not on a console owned by a fanboy, and id prob get put on probation or banned however coz you have asked so nicely and i do enjoy the escapist i have registerd and cast my vote for ya im now going to try hard to avoid the forums or at least posts that may have fanboys in it

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Remember to read all the rules - in order to actually vote you need to go into the forum topics and use the polls.

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

As George quite correctly pointed out, you need to go to the forum threads: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/foru...0-March-Mayhem , click on the matchup that you want to vote on (you can vote on all 32 matchups if that takes your fancy), click the dev that you want to vote for and then click "Vote Now!"

Whilst the above link will take you to the general forums, here's a direct link to Valve's first match against Treasure: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/foru...vs-16-Treasure

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

meh. I've been through once and clicked away - if it didn't count though - it's far too convoluted a system.

Seems a pretty pointless exercise to me and is flawed in so many ways. Besides - I doubt any of the Dev's involved need random smoke blown up their arses.

I've heard some of Yahtzee's rants - he should turn on his own sites 'mayhem' cough.
    Twitter @Logan_ps - Twitch.tv Logan

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

It is unnecessarily confusing - and the polls-in-topics thing is rather clunky.

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Yeah, I was thinking that :/
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Augh... I always avoid the March Maheym crap like the plague...

It's a shameless publicity stunt, meant to draw in fanboys foaming at the mouth to jerk off their favorite developer's ego. You can't even pretend to have a semi reasonable discussion in this kind of thing...

...Additionally it's entirely meaningless, and it does nothing if not make the escapist seem like a wannabe gamespot, which it really shouldn't... so... yeah.

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

OK guys... I'm sorry to drag this topic back up, but this is the part where we really need the backing.

Valve are up against Zynga, creators of the Farmville/Facebook games.

Easy win, huh?

Unfortunately not. Around 14,000 votes were cast in Zynga's last round, Zynga beat Square Enix by 1000. We can't win this simply on Escapist voices, we need support from the community as a whole.

The thread is here, the poll will open in 20 hours from now. We could REALLY do with the backup.

Thanks for listening

~Wordsmith
    Cookie given from: The Sero.ps

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Ugh, I would be annoyed if Zynga wins versus all those good developers
    Cookie given from: The Sero.ps
    Last.Played

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Ugh, I would be annoyed if Zynga wins versus all those good developers
    Hawk, the only way we're going to be able to beat them is to rally as many of the fans as possible. That's why I'm annoying you guys here, the more people who know about it, the more people who can vote

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Been voting against Zynga all the time, it's so annoying how they'll jump from 10% of votes to about 60% >.>
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

^^^click here!^^^

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Valve vs. Zynga, and Zynga's winning.

I find it somewhat irritating that you're allowed to login via Facebook when Zynga are a Facebook only developer. Advantage much?
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Boylee View Post
    Valve vs. Zynga, and Zynga's winning.

I find it somewhat irritating that you're allowed to login via Facebook when Zynga are a Facebook only developer. Advantage much?
    You know it, all the Escapists are claiming the same thing.... The problem is, unless someone can prove that Zynga are cheating (screenshot), they'll stay in the comp. I just hope to hell that there's some idiots on the other side who are using multiple accounts, and that we've got enough Tweets on our side to make the difference.

Reminds me actually, I don't know if I mentioned it, but if you have a twitter account, you get a second vote?

Add your twitter to your Escapist account
    Follow http://twitter.com/TheEscapistMag
    Tweet the following: "I voted for @steam_games in Round 5 of The Escapist's March Mayhem: http://bit.ly/aANIUR #escMM."

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam King 2010
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Well, they won it Close one at the end.... won by 0.6% difference against bioware... and I finished in joint 16th out of over 3000 people (apparently) on the leaderboard (listed as 20, but points-wise joint 16th ) [/brag]
    Sero's Sig Wuz 'Ere
    "Barbershop Ninjas"