Thread: ctf_soda : TF2maps.net contest entry

The artist formerly known as
    Nuttmegger
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: ctf_soda : TF2maps.net contest entry

loved the map. (a6).

It's not exactly heavy friendly is it . Great for snipers, though.
    I think you need another route up to the bridge for scouts, the rocks would do nicely.
    I don't like the look of the bridge, it's too plain and needs something more- different texture, guard rail, angle supports on the columns? - some sort of detail.
    The water area side route feels a bit wrong as well. It's too dark as compared to the rest of the place, and I don't like the pitch of the stairs- it's awkward for shooting splash weapons both up and down.

Comments made with much love though, as it's a pretty map and it's good fun.
    Cookie given from: Logan.ps

🍕Mr🍕Man🍕The🍕Pizza🍕Fan🍕 Post Script's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Last time I checked heavies don't cap intel often With this in mind only the area around the intel needs to cater for heavies. All imo ofc

Could do with something on the bridge like Nutmegger says, snipers can shoot onto it too easily.

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Well, if you want to add anything to bridge, remember not to loose anything what's good in it at now - I mean don't add guard rails cause it might prevent scouts (especially FaN scouts - although I don't know if they are possible in 'comp' game) from jumping onto it... However, some barrels or boxes to hide might be good...

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

yeah. the bridge was my indulgence for simple vaguly angular and very solid architechture I thought of making it a suspecsion style with a building under neath. I'm now toying with 1 radical and awesome idea, that may not work......a huge soda fountain in the middle that incorporates the bridge support - being as this will be a BIG thing. OR i like the barrells/boxes idea. I'm loath to change it structurally - one mans boring is another mans 'clean and perfect for the job at hand' - this simplicity does it for me personally, so not too much in the way of trim for the bridge. what do you think?

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Personally I love the shape of the bridge as it is. Some nice angular detailing to the base support would be really nice, although I realise this doesn't impact on gameplay at all, I just think it'll enhance it's sexiness. That said if the supports were a bit wider at the base and hollowed slightly (like an H cross section) it'd provide some cover at the base for spies and the like. At the moment the bridge has got some great options for scouts (no need for the FaN) either up on top or under through the middle so I don't think it needs any major changes. I'd suggest putting some props on the bridge to provide cover, maybe some concrete blocks and barrels.

Edit: You could add some guard rails on the bridge, which seems logical as you'd have some in real life, but if you do you'll need to lower the surface of the bridge slightly to retain it's jumpability. The hand rail props on gorge would be ideal as they're low profile, however I don't think this is a necessity, it's just a thought.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I would only go with some props (as Boylee said) just to hide behind them in case of enemy sniper or to make an ambush...

Hmmm, did you think about placing a big medkit in the middle of the bridge instead of medium ones on its ends? I don't know how it would work but I like such points in maps - risky to get it, but worth it! Just a random idea...

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

cheers feelas - all good stuff

Re medikit in middle - yes I did. I think I'll go back to it now you've said that. I've noticed the ones at the sides cause attackers to retreat alot....so lets make em retreat into the open

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Honestly I'm fine with the bridge being a big open place for a couple of reasons: First the height advantage makes it hard to snipe from bellow, so you need to, at least, be on a high spot yourself, and second because it's a fair trade off for how fast you can get to your own base from there (double jump, rocket jump, sticky jump). I don't mind the idea of replacing the 2 "stashes" at each end by one in the middle though, or at least the health packs, as it forces people to leave their hidey hole and crawl into the open for it.

IMO, I maintain that the only 2 things you need to fix in the map are the cliff- I mean stairs that lead from the bridge into the bases, and the middle needs to be a bit more "chokey", or the secondary route isn't enough of an advantage.

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

A few things you might want to fix:

Last.Played

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Hawk revealed all our secret spots

Attachment 296

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caliostro View Post

IMO, I maintain that the only 2 things you need to fix in the map are the cliff- I mean stairs that lead from the bridge into the bases, and the middle needs to be a bit more "chokey", or the secondary route isn't enough of an advantage.

I agree with this. Make the middle bit a vicious killing ground, but quick to get through, and the bridge should take longer but be less directly threatening.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

good stuff Chuffed I held back and rested on this because i'm really looking forward to addressing all this great feedback

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I had a thought about the uber steep steps earlier. Making a big kink in that route to the left or right would allow more space to add length to the decline, I'd probably suggest a room or some such similar too so it doesn't just feel like a massive windy staircase.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boylee View Post
    I had a thought about the uber steep steps earlier. Making a big kink in that route to the left or right would allow more space to add length to the decline, I'd probably suggest a room or some such similar too so it doesn't just feel like a massive windy staircase.
    I wonder what the effect would be if it was changed to an elevator instead of steps...
    (Assuming you're talking about the steps in the watery cave leading up to the bridge).

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Quote Originally Posted by Seedy_George View Post
    I wonder what the effect would be if it was changed to an elevator instead of steps...
    (Assuming you're talking about the steps in the watery cave leading up to the bridge).
    Elevators are bad in TF2... I tried.

People will stall them on purpose, they'll spend time riding the elevator instead of playing the game, and overall, they stall the game while people wait for the lift or sit around doing nothing in it.

Stick to steps or ramps.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

yep - had bad experiences with lifts and elevators and vowed that they would never make it into one of my maps unless the geometry absolutely required them *(the cranes on koth_suite_docks for eg - there would be no way up otherwise.

If you're going to use them, you really need to limit the number of players who can physically fit on - more than 3 and you get into fiddly territory. My plan is to extend the space under the mountain with 'service' prop rooms - and have a stair case the winds round them to the top. Maybe allow access to one of them and move the health pack - so a team can escape with the intel, then compose themselves before 'hitting' the bridge.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I'm likely to start work on this very soon - PC fixed and hammer installed.

If you have any further thoughts or hints at layout / fixes, please do share them - I promise to address them all

The artist formerly known as
    Nuttmegger
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I know you like your minimal bridge, but may I present an alternative inspiration, one of Robert Malliarts.

I think something like that would make soda a spectacle that everyone would appreciate: 'let's play the one with the pretty bridge'.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

yeah mate! That's one hell of a bridge.
    Quality stuff - and since I have some time soon it's going to be the first thing i change.
    Nice on I'd sort of forgotten about Soda since deciding I wasn't entering it into the tf2maps.net comp.
    I'd rather map for the community than a comp to be honest.
    Looking forward to getting back to it. I've only just set up my machine here in my new house - currently the only net connection I have is using my iphone's 3G connection, so no gaming until 02 deliver my broadband kit - and it's a maximum speed for my house of 3.5mb :/.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

hooray! Colt's back.

3.5mbps will be plenty enough for gaming though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast