Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Heroes of Newerth - Fun with a 90 learning curve.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Heroes of Newerth - Fun with a 90 learning curve.

What exactly IS Heroes of Newerth
    To explain what the game is, we have to go back a few years. Once upon a time, there was a extremely popular custom map for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Defense of the Ancients, better known as DotA, was so completely different from any other game and it's popularity remains unmatched even to this day. After S2 games managed to get the go-ahead from DotA's 'owner' IceFrog, Heroes of Newerth was born.

Heroes of Newerth (from now referred to as HoN) is pretty much an exact copy of DotA. The core gameplay remains the same, alot of the characters got ported over, items remained the same. All that was good about DotA got expanded on and wrapped up in a very shiny, solid and amazingly fun package.

How do I play this game?
    So, onto the gameplay. HoN is a team based strategy/rpg viewed from a birdseye perspective. Two teams of five are going head to head in the hope that they will be able to destroy the enemies' main building, which is the Tree of Life on the Legion side, and the Sacrificial Shrine on the side of the Hellbourne. That is easier said then done, ofcourse. The main structure is tucked away deep in the bases of each sides, on the opposite corners of the map. To get to the base, you will have to use the three lanes that connect the bases with each other. Images help clarify it:

The yellow lines depict the three lanes in the game, with the Legion base in the bottom-left and the Hellbourne base in the top right. Along each lane there are two outer towers and one tower guarding the entrance to the base. These towers will fire towards anyone or anything trying to pass, so you'll need help taking 'em down.

Every so often, the bases will spawn little guys, knowns as 'creeps' that will march along the lanes and when the creeps from opposing sides meet, they'll fight until one of the waves of creeps is completely destroyed. So, in order to get to the enemies towers, you'll need to make sure you're accompanied by a wave of your own creeps, so that they can divert the fire of the tower while you try your best to tear it down.

This is the gist of the gameplay. It may sound easy-ish, but believe me, the amount of strategy that is required to properly play this game is pretty insane. That level of strategy is for the most part caused by the 60 extremely diverse characters.

Characters? What characters?
    Yes, this game has 60 playable characters each with completely different skills and abilities. The characters, knowns as Heroes, are split up into three categories: Strength, Agility and Intelligence. Each hero has four skills that can be leveled up to increase effectiveness, and the heroes themselves are able to reach the maximum level of 25.

Strength heroes are generally high HP heroes, who are able to withstand quite a few punches. One strength hero, Behemoth, is able to jump into a huge clump of enemies and cause some serious damage to everyone around him, block passages with a wall of stone and smash people with his huge club.

Agility heroes are often swift and able to take down enemy heroes before they realize whats going on. The Madman is one of these characters and is able to go invisible for a short while, leap at his enemies to stun them and go into a berserker fury, increasing his rate of attack to insane levels.

Intelligence heroes do what you'd expect them to do: throw alot of damaging spells towards the enemies way to pulverize, immobilize or completely disable them. They are generally quite fragile, though. The Pyromancer has the ability to send a wave of fire out towards his enemies, stun them with a giant flaming dragon rising out of the ground and target a single hero for a massive amount of damage.

Although not officially referred to in this fashion, the community has been giving names to certain archetypes of heroes to explain their role in a game.

For example, Behemoth is an Initiator since he is able to jump into a group of enemies to quite heavily damage them and sometimes flat out killing them, pretty much ending a battle before it has even begun. The Pyromancer is a pretty sweet Ganker, able to jump out of the forests and take out one or two enemies by surprise. The Madman is a typical Carry hero. The early game starts out pretty rough for him, but with every item and level he gains, he becomes a LOT more effective, until at one point he is pretty much able to take down the enemy team on his own. There's a lot more archetypes, like Support, Tank and Disabler, but they'll become clearer when you are actually playing.

What about items?
    Yeah....I'm not even gonna go there. For every character there are a ton of different items that would work and some that would fail pretty hard. Luckily, the shop has a recommended tab showing you items that are generally bought for that specific hero.

That's Heroes of Newerth in a nutshell. The game has gone retail a while ago, but is still constantly being updated with new heroes, items, balance changes; all that good stuff. S2 supports the game extremely well and updates it every week or so.

Another small tip for those who wish to play. Generally, you'd want to start out with Single Draft games. These games give you a choice between a random hero from every category, so you'd get to pick between one strength, one agility and one intelligence hero. This may seem like some weird advice for someone who has never played the game, but this will give you some time to get to learn the basics, because the other team is less likely to pick a team that can easily steamroll your team and end the game in a heartbeat. Playing NoStat games (meaning your score won't get recorded onto your profile) is also a good way of getting to know the basics and seeing what all the different heroes are about. You don't want to stick around NoStat games for too long though, as they might actually make you worse, since the people playing those games are often new to the game themselves and/or just like to run around being useless. It won't teach you actual skills you'll find useful in a regular game.

HoN 2.0:

Alrighty then gentlemen, it has been over a full year since I made this thread and the HoN play is still in full force! And now, the biggest update to HoN to date has finally arrived. HoN version 2.0 brought some significant changes to the game. Nothing too massive in the way of gameplay, but the surrounding features have gotten expanded on significantly.

Matchmaking
    No doubt the biggest addition of 2.0 is team matchmaking. You can group up with up to 5 of your friends (3 if you like to play a 3v3 game on a smaller map) and be pitted against an enemy team of equal skill value in the gamemode of your choice. Do you not have a full 5-man rapesquad ready to pwn some nubz? Then you can still sign up with less players, and it will actually search for a team that has the same composition as yours. Say you and a friend are doing matchmaking and it teams you up with another duo and one loner, then you'll more than likely find that the opposite team also consists out of 2 duos and a loner.

In-game store
    No, this is not a store where you pay real money to get in-game benefits, extra weapons or silly hats. Well, maybe something like silly hats. Everything you buy in here is purely aesthetic and can be bought just by playing the game. Every matchmaking game you play, you'll earn Coins depending on your and your teams performance in the game. It takes into account killstreaks, ward placements, if you win or lose the match and a bunch more other statistics. If you have earned enough of these coins, you'll be able to buy fancy graphics and alternate models for characters. Do you want a fancy diamond colored name showing your leetness, a icon that says I Heart Beer or a shitty palette swap changing the monstrously hideous looking devourer into a clown? Now you can! I kid and simply pick out the worst of the unlocks here, but there are some actual cool looking icons and alternate avatars, from changing the texture to completely overhauling the way a hero looks. Some even have gender-swaps. And ask Damnation, these Goblin Coins are like crack. Gotta get dem Goblin Coins, man.

More invites!
    Even though the beta is long since over, we still get a whole stack of invites now and again. These are good for 10 NoStats games, meaning you'll be able to play 10 games with us where we will be able to teach you the ropes in a fairly low stress environment. We could even have a completely in-house game, with just people from Playstuff, meaning there'll be no weird random dudes 'blinking our face' and throwing hissy fits. Perfect for learning the game.

Here's a complete list of people who have Heroes of Newerth. Most of us play it on a regular basis, although some (mostly GotGoose and Honsou) haven't played in a while, since they're GIRLY MEN.
    - Launch
    - Damnation
    - Gundown
    - Post Script (He was once just like you newbies! Just look at 4 posts down, he didn't even have the game yet and now he is pwning faces and kicking ass.)
    - Rev
    - Overload
    - GotGoose
    - Honsou
    - NeoX
    - Awesome-o

We could always do with more players, though. Are you still tempted to play? Hit one of us up on steam to get yourself an invite. Trust me, the game is a whole lot of fun and requires teamplay, which is what we're good at here at Playstuff, right?

Last edited by Launch; 16-01-2011 at 16:28. Reason: Expanding, updating and general improvements!
    6 People have given a Cookie to Launch: Damnation, Kelika, Logan.ps, Overload, Seedy_George.ps, Seric.ps

Panics when ubered & Excessively Generous Tstrike's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Re: Heroes of Newerth - Fun with a 90 learning curve.

Probably going to moaned (read many a rage thread comparing tthe two) at for this you mentioned dota so Off I'll go
    The makers of dota have made there own sequal in league of legends which is live and free to play and from what I've heard slightly less hardcore.
    gas powered games had a go with the game demigod (which was so good for a pure multiplayer game only which 30% of people who brought it played it online)

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Ah yes, League of Legends. League of Legends is sort of like DotA, but with weird mechanics and some crazy runes/passive skills/other crazy mumbo jumbo. Also, League of Legends may be free, but the characters you can select get switched out like every week. You can 'buy' a character so you can play him forever, using either real money or ingame credits or something. It's not too bad, but not great either.

Demigod is pretty dull. Only 8 characters and not enough interesting mechanics in my opinion.

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

If you've played all three of DotA, HoN and LoL then you realise that LoL is actually quite different. It's like saying that COD: MW2 is exactly the same as borderlands, they're both first person shooters with a levelup system, however its obvious they differ in pace, art style etc. It's true LoL was developed directly by one of the co-creators of DotA but he has taken it in a much different direction...

🍕Mr🍕Man🍕The🍕Pizza🍕Fan🍕 Post Script's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Tempted

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I'm fairly sure I have a beta key for this...

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Yeah, I love HoN, even if it is a little frustrating.

A word of warning tho, the community is merciless. People have very little time for newbs. In all my years of playing online the DotA community was the worst for being arrogant prats and a similar type of people seem to be attracted to HoN tho so far it hasnt been to bad. mainly because i play with the lads from the community here.

Anyway, launch pretty much sums it up perfectly. Hit me up if you want a beta key.
    Heck, might even get enough people for a few friendly matchs between comunity members

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam Bot 700
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I found out about DotA few months ago and still play it...

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

We havent really played DotA for a few months, and even if we did we always played against AI because some people 'obtained' some copies of WC3.

The jump from DotA to HoN isn't big at all and because you already understand certain aspects of the game, it'll be easier for you to get into it.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

While it may differ a bit from the norm around here it is a good game, and fitting for the comunity should anyone want to try. It heavily works on teamwork, and while you may have some characters who can destroy opposition solo late game you still need the help of your team from the get go to help them in the end. As said there are 6 of us from here that regularly play it, all with extra beta keys and we will be happy to have any of you guys try it out and can even help with climbing gear to help you get up the learning wall.

It's fun, infuriating and satisfying, everything a team game should be(oh and its a small download and easy to get games up and running)
    Burning Ice and Biting Flame!

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Transferring from DotA to HoN is quite simple, all you have to learn is the new names for the items and a couple of new heroes, nothing major. If you even vaugly managed to understand DotA then you'll have no problem coming over to HoN

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam Bot 700
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Sounds like fun

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Im planning on Dloading League of Legends next week and giving it a go. I never played DOTA but I'm interested as its free =D.

Formally CB. Now under the alias of mic.cb[a]

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

I remember when DoTA first came out on W3. Classic. Hit me up for a Beta key - I'm definitely interested in getting some Playstuff games on the go!

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam Bot 700
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I'd like a beta key aswell. Should be more fun to play with playstuff members than with people that always leave after they get killed one time...

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Forgot to mention: If you want a Beta key, we're gonna need your emailadress, since the beta keys will be mailed to you. So send em on steam or through PM's if you've got the chance. Gonna put this in the OP as well.

It's good to see there is some interest in the game though. Hopefully it'll get more popular and we can get some inhouse games on the go.

Playstuff Member .ps suicidebuddy's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Downloading it now, sounds like fun!

Playstuff Member .ps
    Spam Bot 700
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Looks like it is a bit faster than DotA. I do have a hard time with the new buying system and all the new names for items

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

I got a beta key and had a quick few games. Even had a mess game with Damnation on LAN to even out that 90 degree learning curve. It doesn't matter who won as it was just a mess game. The community are quite brutal to noobs and it put me off at the start but I'll keep at it for a while and hopefully get some games with you guys soon.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Yeah, the community is generally pretty shit when it comes to actually helping new people out, but that's why we've got a big group thing going on. To help each other out and play together.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast