Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ctf_flakey : Developer - Colt

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    will be ace if i can persuade Jim to let me have Santa on his sleigh in the sky being towed by a huge Spytech rocket in flight You can even explode him on cap Jim - I know you like explosions
    Last edited by Logan; 24-11-2009 at 09:34.

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    What I was thinking, although it's probably annoying, it would be nice if you would be able to add a subtle christmas jingle to speakers in inside locations.
    So you enter the base, and instantly get a xmassy feeling.
    Last.Played

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    wow, looking good!

-Jim's programmed the lights to flash in different changing patterns.
    Is that that lights-plugin thingy? Was thinking to use it too on the karaoke

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    I just had a little run around on this, its looking very nice.

One thing I'm not too sure about is that you have to run past the enemy spawn to get to the intelligence. It might not be an issue (have to wait and see in a proper game), but it'll probably make capping a lot harder.

There's an invisible wall at the top on the side with the ramps at the bottom. It's roughly where the sticky is in the pic:

You can't move or shoot through it.

Also, you can jump up to the little ledge on the left of the pic as demo or soldier. It doesn't seem like much of a problem, but on one side, you can see through the building:

A couple of the glass windows seemed invisible to me, but that was probably just my low graphics settings. Using the pics in your last post as examples, the window on the left of pic 5, by the spawn, looked clear. And it the last pic you put in spoilers, the window in the middle looks the same as the gaps either side to me. It might be helpful to make them like the top bit in pic 6 or maybe just tint them a bit more.

Also, just a little thing, a fence around the outside of the map would be good. I know there are trees there, but the border of the map isn't that obvious.
    Cookie given from: Logan.ps
    Backburner - putting the lame in flame since 2008

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNetron View Post
    wow, looking good!

Is that that lights-plugin thingy? Was thinking to use it too on the karaoke
    nope - just normal entity work in hammer by Jim

glass defo an issue - it's too clear Cheers for feedback - will address.

I consciously made you have to run past spawn to get intel - but made it so if you ran past 1 side, you couldn't be seen from the 2nd exit. It was my subtle attempt to prevent the 2 fort effect - but may not be enough. There are two other possible ways to CP that I can enable if this plays badly.
    Last edited by Logan; 24-11-2009 at 18:49.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    What I was thinking, although it's probably annoying, it would be nice if you would be able to add a subtle christmas jingle to speakers in inside locations.
    So you enter the base, and instantly get a xmassy feeling.
    Hopefully Claud re-doing all the main announcer messages, with a Christmas twist, will do the job : Jim'll kill me otherwise - although what I would consider is making it so they only trigger around christmas time in case the map is played afterwards.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt View Post
    will be ace if i can persuade Jim to let me have Santa on his sleigh in the sky being towed by a huge Spytech rocket in flight You can even explode him on cap Jim - I know you like explosions
    it is your map after all, no need to convince me if you want something

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Quote Originally Posted by Calump View Post
    I just had a little run around on this, its looking very nice.

One thing I'm not too sure about is that you have to run past the enemy spawn to get to the intelligence. It might not be an issue (have to wait and see in a proper game), but it'll probably make capping a lot harder.

There's an invisible wall at the top on the side with the ramps at the bottom. It's roughly where the sticky is in the pic:

You can't move or shoot through it.

Also, you can jump up to the little ledge on the left of the pic as demo or soldier. It doesn't seem like much of a problem, but on one side, you can see through the building:

A couple of the glass windows seemed invisible to me, but that was probably just my low graphics settings. Using the pics in your last post as examples, the window on the left of pic 5, by the spawn, looked clear. And it the last pic you put in spoilers, the window in the middle looks the same as the gaps either side to me. It might be helpful to make them like the top bit in pic 6 or maybe just tint them a bit more.

Also, just a little thing, a fence around the outside of the map would be good. I know there are trees there, but the border of the map isn't that obvious.
    The invisible wall is a small bit of the skybox extending down allowing to areaportal that area off which helped things a lot but I guess i'll find another way

AirborneYAK
    'Like the map a lot so far! Esp. the almost erotic underground tunnels of pristine snow are simply beautiful. Very few things I found to comment on:

- The small spawn exit door didn't extend all the way up to the door frame.

- The intel room's corner with a medkit and an ammo pack (You know the one I mean, Colt! The one I exchanged for the promise of tainted blankets...) seems to be VERY sg friendly. How about at least moving the health and ammo slightly further away?

- I'd like to be able to enter the forest. Take a second to think about how sweet it would be to dash through a snowy forest as a scout until, suddenly, booming death slugs its way heavily through majestic fir branches... Lurverly!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbomcb View Post
    it is your map after all, no need to convince me if you want something
    nah. whether my novelty loving devil inside shouts out or not, you seldom tend to be wrong about these things mapping related doesn't mean I don't want to moan about it

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AirborneYAK View Post
    'Like the map a lot so far! Esp. the almost erotic underground tunnels of pristine snow are simply beautiful. Very few things I found to comment on:

- The small spawn exit door didn't extend all the way up to the door frame.

- The intel room's corner with a medkit and an ammo pack (You know the one I mean, Colt! The one I exchanged for the promise of tainted blankets...) seems to be VERY sg friendly. How about at least moving the health and ammo slightly further away?

- I'd like to be able to enter the forest. Take a second to think about how sweet it would be to dash through a snowy forest as a scout until, suddenly, booming death slugs its way heavily through majestic fir branches... Lurverly!

WOW! That almost feels like praise from the master of pointing out the eventually apparent flaws Means a lot bud - I look forward to your honest feedback and will take this all in.

Agreed re ammo and health pack - a little too nice for engis.

Was quite pleased that the seperation of spawn exits, which was planned to tweak the 2fort forumla, appears to have worked to an extent.....the games were quick and fun - maybe just due to it being a few good friends playing, rather than a full server, we'll see.

There's no reason you couldn't run through the forest - I've done it alot myself - it's just player clipped at the mo. This is to keep people focussed ont he gameplay - hopefully, the tunnels provide a similar scout escape. Snipers are accomodated (there's 1 tree on each side you can go behind.

As we test, we can explore the need for this - or, if the tests all go well in current layout - (promising signs) we can give openning the forest up a go. In fact, one of my alternative routes to intel involved a shaft in the forest - so maybe the turtles on a 12v12 will convince us to do it

🍕Mr🍕Man🍕The🍕Pizza🍕Fan🍕 Post Script's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    lol, 'shaft' in forest ftw xD

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    just a thought about Christmas jingles, I happen to know there's a custom, animated record player prop out there, you could bung one in spawn with a little loop from a Christmas song. You're never in spawn long so the loop wouldn't need to be long and it would keep the file size down.
    2 People have given a Cookie to Boylee: Hawk.ps, Logan.ps
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boylee View Post
    just a thought about Christmas jingles, I happen to know there's a custom, animated record player prop out there, you could bung one in spawn with a little loop from a Christmas song. You're never in spawn long so the loop wouldn't need to be long and it would keep the file size down.
    With a little "scratch of a record"-sound you can loop very realistic, as if the needle hops back

AirborneYAK
    We just gave flakey_a3 a spin 3 on 3. Two out of the six players complained (separately) that they couldn't find their way around on the map. Though I personally fail to see why exactly this is the case, I think you simply need smarter players!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    i got lost too on that game, but didn't whined about it as you always get lost on new maps

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNetron View Post
    you always get lost on new maps
    This x 1000.

Especially true with alphas.
    I thought the layout was fairly intuitive once you'd done a few laps.
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    kinda, you can say that a lot of the valve maps are confusing first time etc but they are stuck with them maps, you need to make it absolutely as simple as possible because 90% of players will be playing it for their first time and you need to leave a good impression if they are ever to return to that map

AirborneYAK
    Quote Originally Posted by Boylee View Post
    I thought the layout was fairly intuitive once you'd done a few laps.
    Personally I agree. 'Thought I'd let you know anyway as it apparently was a deterrent to some of the players who weren't ps and who, as I, therefore, knew, would not voice their opinions themselves.
    Last edited by AirborneYAK; 27-11-2009 at 09:26.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Make some arrows out of 'yellow snow' to guide people
    Last edited by grom; 27-11-2009 at 16:48. Reason: fixed the mp3 link
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast