Cookies Received

CTF_MUSE

Muse:

1. (n.) A guiding spirit.
    2. (n.) A source of inspiration.

Description:

Mining, on the moon.

Back story:

Ive been waiting to make a map for a while now. Playing QL nightly for the last few months really made me miss what Q3A design was. There were no one brush walls, EVERYTHING was intricate and looked great.
    The name is hopefully to me to keep me on goal and to finish a map.. for once. If alpha goes well i plain to make this an amazing looking map.

This is my Muse.

Revision History:

A1. Internal Layout Test.
    A2. Internal Layout Testing.
    A3. Public testing, signage, and items.
    A4. optimizations, displacements..Bug finding.
    A5. Public testings, layout, small detail.
    A6. new side area, new back area, detail, displacement, custom's.
    *A7. Public release testing.

Screenshots:

for FULL album of all versions including layout drawings and basic brushwork check out my photobucket. Link to Photobucket.
    4 People have given a Cookie to DJive: Amnesiac, grom.ps, Logan.ps, MacNetron.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Looking really cool bud Can't wait to playtest. What a fine first WIP to have in our new Teamplay 2xWIP's at all times policy. Thread to follow

Love these two :

Last edited by Logan; 04-11-2009 at 16:56.

Greater crested hermit ninja Boylee's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Dude, looking really nice, can't wait to have a charge about in it
    cp_triplet - ctf_chicane - cp_cruff - pl_clifftop

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [UC] Boylee is in an unknown country.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    ahhhh... Quake... Played Q3A with friends till dawn or till mum got angry (whatever came first )
    Even with mostly dev textures you've already captured the feeling of Quake. Well done!
    CTF is a nice choice too. Fitting

Administrator
    L4D2 Group Co-ordinator
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Amazing work with the lights
    Last.Played

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Very nice looking indeed - look forward to checking it out.
    ---
    (aka JennyCide.ps)
    putting the Rage in Average
    gromblog (inactive at present)
    Twitter

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    Looks really good from the screenies, very atmospheric. Looking forward to a playtest.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Thanks for the positive feedback so far guys.

Do note that despite some of the screenshots this map is still early alpha, I just get cought up in detailing some areas.

As such mostly when play testing im looking for more layout, item placement etc... then why my displacement sucks or this texture doesn't align.

Then reason I don't need feedback based on lighting, textures, displacement is because its early alpha and will be changed later no matter what and would REALLY love it then =)

gameplay gameplay gameplay

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    It's up and in the map lab rotation ctf_muse_a7_c.
    Had a quick game today and liking it so far. Needs a test with more people as it's a large CTF and was hard to tell with 4v4.
    Looking forward to some games on it - the atmosphere, already, is really nicely remeniscent of Quake!

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Thanks guys =)

Now that the weekend is passed hope to get on!!.
    Weekends for me is family stuff, so im NEVER on during the weekends.

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    looking good, biggest concern is the ambient is too low to easily distinguish teams

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbomcb View Post
    looking good, biggest concern is the ambient is too low to easily distinguish teams
    Ya, mind my lighting its really half ass'ed to be honest.

Once i get more layout work in there and start beta the detailing and lighting will hopefully be good =)

AirborneYAK
    To be honest, neither have I ever been a big fan of any of the Quake games nor do I, generally, like to play any FPS with many players on each side, which seems to be a prerequisite for ctf_muse. Basically, it's just not my kind of map and, therefore, I'm not the right guy to comment on it extensively. Sorry! 'Two things though.

The spawns only have one exit each. That's never enough.

This place should probably not accessible:
    Cookie given from: DJive.ps

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    I think most are confused.

Muse only has quake like brushwork, nothing else having to do with quake.

Ill look into other exits from spawns, however have to this point not found a problem with them. Much like 2fort although the top spawn has 2 ways out.. hmm i may do a same.

And ya, im not sure about the height yet of the skybox. currently its high, but before.. it was too low =(
    I might triangle clip that spot so people can still get over it if they choose, however would slip off it up there!.

ty Air!

Playstuff Member .ps
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Enjoyed playing this last night, worked quite well.

I do think the intel area is rather large though and hard to defend unless you have a whole bunch of people just stood on it the whole time. This didn't really matter on a full server though.

It could probably do with some sort of route that wasn't straight through the middle area, it did seem like a bit of a bottleneck, and forced you to attack the enemy head on. There's very little opportunity for flanking, which is kind of important. I might have just not found any alternate routes though, I still didn't know the layout of the map too well after a couple of playthroughs.

I'm not sure how important a second exit from the main spawn would be, as there is another place you can spawn, but it did seem less common.

And a little bug, you can't change classes in the spawn room without dying (and having to wait for respawn again).
    Backburner - putting the lame in flame since 2008

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed playing this last night. It's atmospheric and well spaced. I would however prefer to have a second route to the intel - Calump gets it spot on for me. the line of site to the intel is so large that it's very hard to protect it - a sentry lasts seconds (although i'm a baaaaad engi).

not sure whether providing more cover on the point, or providing a break to the line of sight from each side, is the answer.

I'd certainly like a clear way of avoiding the middle to get to the other side - maybe there was one i didn't find?

On the whole though, i thought the map works well. Textures will assist path finding for newcomers, and once you've played a round its pretty easy to navigate. I know it's not very quake, but have you considered lowering some of the landscape between CP's - so there are glimpses of the rest of the map as you run round - would help with perspective imo.

Will continue to have a play about and keep reporting back.

Anyone else got any thoughts after last nights epic 12v12 x 2 testing session?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Quote Originally Posted by DJive View Post
    I might triangle clip that spot so people can still get over it if they choose, however would slip off it up there!.
    I think it would be better either blocking them off totally or making it less advantageous for those who get in that place mainly to the point that without going to lengths of push brushes, the triangle clip brush might put off one or two people but that can be overcome by standing direct in the middle of the tip of the brush

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Re: CTF_MUSE

*DJive reaches his hand out of the dirt grave*

rrrrrrRRRAAAWWWWWRRRRR

3 year bump? yikes.

So I picked up mapping about a week ago. I had attempted a test on TF2maps... It crashed the server some how. Annoyed I redid a lot of the map, excited I uploaded the changes and ... Well it crashed the server yet again.

Today I removed a lot of stuff, started from scratch and fixed what I believed to be the problem (rogue area portal)

Here are some before-after of the map to what it is now and from what if was if you remember it lol

http://oi40.tinypic.com/14vji4w.jpg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/k51gth.jpg

I can not promise this version wont kick people from server so its a risk.. .however it allows you to join and change map and i would *LOVE* for it to be tested to make sure it does no longer boot

_SNIP_

Still crashes, will fix more.. =/
    Last edited by DJive; 15-04-2012 at 03:17.

Trading Philanthropist AngryPotato's Avatar
    Cookies Given
    Cookies Received

Uploaded to MapLab. I think.
    Cookie given from: DJive.ps
    Hey, you can type small, nearly invisible text under your post. (or invisible!) That's great! - I know neat trick isn't it ?
    Hello, Stranger! Nice to have you in my sig! Feel free to leave comments! Any of them will be welcome!
    Some blue text here
    The Sero was heeeeereeee! (although he doesn't even know!) I think it's about time we got some orange text in this.
    I like tomatoes That's true, dear Stranger!I almost forgot to post here. Huh? Someone say my name?

Cookies Given
    Cookies Received
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPotato View Post
    Uploaded to MapLab. I think.
    Yes, should be transferred correctly:

Code:
    [..]
    2012-04-15 02:17:47,990 DEBUG [rocessor12] [util.ftp.FtpListener.      completed] YHNAXCctf_muse_a2f1.bsp.bz2 - Transfer completed! #bytes:9511879
    [..]
    2012-04-15 02:18:20,767 DEBUG [Processor5] [util.ftp.FtpListener.      completed] YHNAXCctf_muse_a2f1.bsp - Transfer completed! #bytes:18542902
    Wicked to see you picking this up again DJive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast